Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge Throws a Punch

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:07 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dodge Throws a Punch

Has anybody seen the new Dodge [Com]??? It shows a Dodge Hemi outrunning a 2004 F-150 at a drag strip. There both pulling boats and the dodge pulls out slightly out ahead of the F-150.

I dont know the new 5.4s are pretty fast

1997 F-250 460-CI V8

Old 01-03-2004, 12:21 AM
bigwtx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw the commercial tonight, and started laughing and told my girlfriend "look at the Dodge outrun my truck!". I could care less, I just like my F-150.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:11 AM
otto
Posting Guru
16 spark plugs and premium fuel only in the "hemi", those dodge guys didnt buy much

Old 01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford didn't design the 5.4 to win races... Race a 429 and a 7.3L diesel, the 429 is going to win of course, but what would you rather tow with?

Old 01-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That commercial proves one thing and one thing only. If you hook on to your boat and get in the truck and mash the pedal every time you drive then go out and buy a dodge. Part throttle acceleration is the most important. Its like comparing two 96 F150s. One with a I6 and the other a 302. The 302 will beat it in a race loaded or unloaded but those that have driven both will tell you the I6 has more power. Under normal driving conditions it does. Ford could have made the 5.4 have 375 horses very easily. Winning a WOT drag race has never been Fords goal with their standard trucks. The lightning is not a standard truck so please don't shoot me on that point.

Last edited by Ratsmoker; 01-03-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:20 PM
mtomac
Junior User
You must agree that Fords dragracing commercial with the 6.0 powerstroke vs. the Duramax with horse trailers in tow is just as silly and a worthless advertisement too?

Old 01-03-2004, 03:35 PM
bassdude
Elder User
seems like all the car company's are going overboard. like that jeep add where the gal pulls up to the submarine that just crashed through the ice pack. a little out there, but they must work because the manufacturers spend a lot on focus groups and such to make sure they work. hey ratsmoker, i have a question about your handle. is that in reference to what your FE motor does to big block chevy's or something we don't want to know about?

Last edited by bassdude; 01-03-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its the Big Block Chevy thing. Never literally smoked a rat. I agree that all the companies are going overboard with the marketing ploys. Who goes and buys a new $30,000 truck to win a race anyway. Once again lightning excluded. The ford 6.0 and the duramax race is rediculous too. I have yet to see that one. What channel are you all watching? All I see is the "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday Hemi Ram commercial.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:43 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mtomac
You must agree that Fords dragracing commercial with the 6.0 powerstroke vs. the Duramax with horse trailers in tow is just as silly and a worthless advertisement too?
Yes, I do

Old 01-03-2004, 11:27 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its what people want these days...horsepower sells cars, torque wins races (and what gets u off the line). people are blinded by the flashy gimics and fancy "345hp" ratings these days to care less of where the peak torque comes in. all they know is "my truck can win a race against so n sos brand X/Y/Z"...its silly but evective (sp)...i see countless new "Hemis" and effies...

Old 01-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Quaddak
Junior User
Personally I believe it was a right cross and a knock out for Dodge. Proves once and for all Dodge is not going to be intimidated by ford and their comparison commercials. I personally believe that you 04 F-150 5.4 ford guys should consider a law suite against ford and their miss-guided advertisements. Didn't appear to me that ford meets their claims for low end torque king. If you look at the commercial in slow motion you will see that the ford actually gets the first jump and the dodge just out pulls it from that point on. Ford claims as king of low end torque is just smoke and mirrors.

Now, I would like to see dodge do the same against a nissian since they also feel the need to compare. I also would like to see how the Cummings does against the ford PSD, similar to the GM comparison.

Curious to see if ford responds....... If not, knock out!

Ford needs to look closer at their commercials and what they are representing and what the results are for their buyers that buy the product and does not do what they claim it does. It is down right embarrassing for us normal everyday people that put faith into a product just to have it taken away because of non truth.

I hold no grudge against the people. I try to speak the truth and what I believe to be the facts. There is no doubt my loyalty is with Dodge and their products. Regardless of what anyone has to say about this or that.

My passion for Mopar is rooted deep. I am third generation and every one of my kids is forth generation dodge owners. My bother and at least one sister owns a dodge product. In the ford world that may not be very deep but in the dodge world that means a lot for me to see my wife and kids share that passion with as much enthusiasm and in some cases more. Sometimes they down right embarrass me, as I am not as out spoken and pushy as they are, especially to strangers. I always give everyone the benefit of a doubt and respect all feeling and opinions and would appreciate the same in return.

If the facts are that the 04 5.4 is not low end torque king, I personally believe that ford owes its buyers something.

Speaking of commercials, toyota (throwing mud on the ford) and now nissian’s need to compare or degrade the competition. If the nissian will out pull the Hemi then so be it, but I really doubt it. It’s a little early to make that call.

I never had a doubt and still don't that the dodge Hemi is the way to go. Lighter, more cost effective to build, and more performance than the dodge 5.9 magnum. On top of this using old school technology (single cam, pushrod and Hemi design) to do it. None of these fancy 3 or 4 valves per cylinder or using variable valve timing that eventually will end up costing the truck owners more to repair. Come on guys, can’t argue with way of thinking.

Dodge does make me very proud with this commercial because I know it demonstrates that they will stand behind their owners and not lay down! I personally believe that is the new Dodge. This is only the start of the new performance dodge/chrylser. Heck, the SRT-4 is running 13.8’s to 13.3’s (with a stage one performance factory option) and trapping at over 107 mph in the ¼. Only the beginning…… Can’t wait for the return to V-8’s and rear wheel drive cars….

Old 01-04-2004, 12:44 AM
otto
Posting Guru
DCX cant wait for the V8 RWD cars either, the .5 of Detroits big 2.5 is hoping the new models save them from having to close the doors, they just cant sell the autos, poor dodge sales people they are standing around like the maytag repairman

3 and 4 valve engines and cam sprockets that can change the cam timing in the "sweet power spot" no matter the rpms are things that can help meet future emissions and CAFE standards, less retooling and engine changes=more reliability, less repair costs, more interchangability and lower overall price, most fords are ultra low emissions vehicles, should be set for a few years, DCX added had to add spark plugs to get the fuel to ignite so the wreck would pass the sniffer

Buy Dodge help save what little is left !

Gm started with a v8 design 50 years ago, it has evolved many times and still shares many attributes with its original counterpart, and for anyone to argue the venerability or life the SBC has lead to motor of greatness is rediculous, think the future was engineered into that design from the get go ? it will go OHC in less than 5 years, saving money yet again by using basically 75% parts off shelf

13.8 sounds quite suspicuous

Old 01-04-2004, 01:04 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In the Trucktrend issue Augest 2003 Thay did a full test Ford F-350 vs Chevy 3500 Both equipped with there respective diesls the ford won every accelration event and pulled more than the duramax the ford hit 60mph in 8.1 sec the duramax 8.8 the ford will pull on a [hitch] 12,500lbs the chevy 12,000lbs.
__________________________________________________ __

1997 F-350 460 K&N AIRFILTER GEN 2 4wd C6 Automatic.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:13 AM
otto
Posting Guru
Thats why the F-series has been the bestselling for 22 years, it makes the most sense, if it dont make dollars it dont make sense, ford trucks are at work every day making money, I never see dodge fleets for any company.

Furthermore dodge doesnt even build a real heavy duty truck like a 450 or 550, or the medium duites like ford and gm, also lacking a diesel van, opps i forgot, they got that new sprinter van with a mercedes benz diesel 4 banger and 115 hp lol

Old 01-04-2004, 02:03 AM
valenrandy
Senior User
sorry, look below.

Last edited by valenrandy; 01-04-2004 at 02:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Throws a Punch