1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 02:42 PM
DavidB
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights

Has anybody added factory fog lights to a Super Duty that did not have them originally? I have a 2000 F350 Lariet SD, SC, V10, LS3.73, SRW and I recently moved to an area that regularly has very dense fog, especially early in the morning and late at night. I need better lights real bad. I was thinking of adding factory fog lights or open to other suggestions. I don't really want a bar in the bed of the truck. I need every inch of space for hauling. I would consider a bumper guard/lights or even something mounted on top of the cab. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-02-2002, 05:12 AM
Edmo
Senior User
Fog Lights

I installed PIAA driving lights on a bumper guard, but they are tied to the high beams... Not for foggy days.

Just a suggestion, if you install lights specifically for fog, mount them as low as possible. This will allow the light beam to get under the fog more and reflect into your eyes less.

Edmo

Old 11-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Fog Lights

As evidenced by my photo below, I added non-factory fogs in place of the tow hooks.

Some folks do not want to give up their tow loops and I can understand that.

The factory fogs are dim, to say the least, and pricey. But at least they integrate well.

I have seen non-factory fogs in just about every imaginable location on these trucks. From the little blue ones mounted above the tow loops, all kinds mounted in the lower part of the grill & in the stock fog location. Bumper guards w/lights abound. Do a Google search. You'll find hundreds! Also replacement bumpers with fog lights access and lower fascias with fog lights are available.

The roof doesn't seem to be a good location for fogs and in some states it is illegal to run lights higher than stock headlights while on a public road.

Old 11-04-2002, 07:59 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Fog Lights

Thanks for the responses. I will shop around and see what I can find. I am leaning toward installing a bumper guard which gives me more mounting options.

Old 11-04-2002, 11:37 AM
crjackson
Senior User
Fog Lights

And as for integration, I bought a 2001 headlight switch with the pull-out factory fog light switch built in and wired my Piaas (which are on a bumper mounted push bar) to it. Clean! Wasn't easy trying to find the little clips that push into the connector, though.

-CRJ
2kXV10 lmt on Weld 16x10 'phoons w/35 x 12.5 AT's. ProComp/Liftmaster 6" lift and 6x Rancho 9000's, Superchips 1715 tuner, K&N intake, AirRaid throttle body spacer, cat back 3" sst exhaust into FM70 big block, 2.5" dual out.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:30 PM
tankhead
Elder User
Fog Lights

I am getting a pair of PIAA 60XT driving and 959 projector fog lights (both SAE approved) installed today. I'm getting them put on the same time as a Python 1000ESP alarm. I got the Smittybilt Outland a couple of weeks ago and installed it myself. Not a bad install. Instructions are fairly straight forward. And mounts to the frame in two places. I did a little research and found that most manufacturers only drill for a pair of lights while the Outland has holes for four lights. I think its a great looking grille gaurd.

The driving lights are wired only to turn on when the high beams are on and the fog lights only when the low beams are on. PIAA has a good site for aiming both fog and driving lights. Accessories included on my install are the McGuard locks for the driving lights and the PIAA Anti-Theft Device hooked into the alarm for the fog lights. You can't put a set of locks on the fog lights (attached to the bottom plate) because the top plate doesn't give enough clearance for tightening. Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2002, 06:43 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Fog Lights

Thanks Tankhead,
That is helpful info. I have been looking at PIAA for a while, trying to decide about whether to put on the bumper guard of just the lights. I am leaning toward the bumper guard with both fog lights and driving lights.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:15 AM
tankhead
Elder User
Fog Lights

SSSSWEEEEEET lights! aimed em in last night. Nice color (yellowish type tint) to the 959 fog lights. Aimed at 25 feet to a wall and the degrees of width was nice and wide. Kinda shorted out my driving lights though. Seems like when I got a wire cought in between the wrench and the bumper when tightening they went DARK. Damn they were looking nice and bright. I got a good electrician though! He installed them and said the PIAA's are good quality compared to the others some bring him to usually fix. I recommend the PIAA Anti-Theft Device for the fogs as an added benefit as is it kinda protects the front Outland grille gaurd secured to the bumper by four bolts, as any break in the wires, at any point, triggers the alarm. Electrician liked it. He tapped into the relay by drilling a hole in the plastic and soldered em at that point. It pays to have to go to people who know what their doing. Remember these are SAE approved. So if your want maybe brighter off-raod lights the 80 Pro XT's i think their called from PIAA might be better. Also cool is whenever you turn your lights off the lamps and fog's remember which mode they were in previously and stay that way when you turn your lights back on. Or you don't have to turn them on (driving lights), if your got en hooked up to your brights, whenever you dim your lights on the highway. Anyways, wish ya luck hope it helped.

Old 11-06-2002, 02:14 PM
DavidB
Elder User
Fog Lights

Thanks again. I don't anticipate any problems wiring them up. I teach Electronics, but I was having trouble deciding on the more expensive PIAA and others. You also helped convince me to get the bumper guard for mounting. I will consider the alarm, but I don't feel a strong need for it. I live two miles down a county road, then one and a half miles down a private road out in the country up in the mountains. Theft around here is not a problem, but the fog sure is. I drove for about 20 minutes this morning before I could get more than a couple of feet visibility. At times the road is not visible at all through the windshield using normal low beam headlights. Stays this way for miles. Gotta do something real soon. BTW, living in the mountains IS worth it.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:15 PM
BFT2002
New User
Fog Lights