hey there!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey there!

hey guys,
well i didnt see a newbie section around here, so im gonna go ahead and introduce myself here, which will be the section ill be frequenting the most cuz im interested in buying an Excursion,
anyway My name is George, Im 22 years old i live in Valencia California, ive had a 2000 328i for the past 3 1/2 years. Ive been wanting to get something bigger with off road capabilities. The Ford excursion is my next choice "no doubt about it",i was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit, making the right choice with the options, im still contemplating whether i should buy used or new, the reason i would buy used(and might be the better choice because i plan on lifting it)is beacause ive seen some for sale in the truck trader already lifted with big tires, just like i want it , for a lot less then i would spend if i got it new and started from scratch. Ill be going with the diesel powered version for sure. I know there is lots of comparisons with the 7.3 and the new 6.0 version.....................maybe if i can get some pointers? thanx, ive tried to surfing the forum but i have dial up ISP here at the shop so its kind of frustrating cuz i only get to read a few threads b4 my dad starts yelling at me to get back to work (i work for my dad )anyway any help,thoughts, advice will be very appreciated thanx again
George

Old 12-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Landyot
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the fold.

My opinion would be to buy a used one. A new one is new ONLY until you drive off the lot ... then it's used ... and it's an expensive used, too. Yeah, so ya' just bought it ... it's now used. Ya' say it's new? You got plates on it, so it's used. (Do you get the impression I do not buy new vehicles? Haven't sine 1986.)

Most secondhand models have also had many "bugs" worked out of them. I bought mine with 53K miles on it, and learned the first owner had the front calipers replaced three times, rotors replaced twice, and numerous other odds & ends performed under warranty. I have no warranty, so I don't worry at all what I do to mine.

And buying an extended warranty is wasted $$$ for anyone capable of working on their own vehicles. When the Ford dealer pressured me to buy the warranty, I asked them to show me the list of all electrical items it covered. Electrically, it covered everything under the hood, and no items like power windows, locks, etc. ... and this was their "best policy coverage" being offered? I laughed & told 'em to keep the paper.

Buy a used one that's already close to how you want yours, and you'll be miles ahead of the game money-wise.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome!!
2nd vote for a good, pre-owned Excursion!

Old 12-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
yea thanx fellas, ive been thinking this too, i feel reassured with your opinions guys thanx, thats probably the route ill be taking.
i want the 4x4 and kind of hoping to find one with the 6.0............................, unless someone can convince me not to for whatever reason.lets hear it!!

Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
There's a nice black one on ebay right now. Buy-it-now is only 43K!!!! ...egad! But it's new...

Old 12-23-2003, 06:49 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome...........home

Old 12-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Originally posted by Monsta
There's a nice black one on ebay right now. Buy-it-now is only 43K!!!! ...egad! But it's new...
thanx for the tip.do you happened to have a direct link on this?, ive searched ebay , and a bunch of um show up.
anyway here are some links of some ive been looking at, this is kind of how i want it..............
choice 1
choice 2
choice 3
choice 4 (but its gas so prolly not)
choice 5
choice 6

Old 12-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Landyot
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Did I say buy used??? With the prices listed of the first 3 choices, it would be cheaper to buy new! (sheesh)

My vote goes for #6. Not too extreme (meaning, less chance of things going wrong .... and if they do, they won't be as "extremely" wrong) ... but that's jus' my opinion. You're the one who has to live with your decision.

Good luck & Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2003, 08:53 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
#2 is that stock color on it

Old 12-24-2003, 07:47 AM
XXXcursion
Junior User
what do you mean by "off road"?
just curious what you want to be able to do..

Old 12-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
Originally posted by XXXcursion
what do you mean by "off road"?
just curious what you want to be able to do..
yea i know i cant do much with a lift that big, but thats just how i want it to look like, i probably wont go to big, although it does look bad a$$, we'll see
anyone know a good combination (make) i should get for it ? (lift kit , tires, shocks, etc)
fabtech seems to be the most popular?
whats the highest i can go without making it unreliable?
thanx 4 the welcomes btw you guys are cool!!!

Old 12-24-2003, 01:40 PM
XXXcursion
Junior User
i'd say 4 inches is pretty good,
any higher and it may be more than you bargained for

Old 12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
you have a good point there, ive heard some bad stories from my buddies with their trucks, they say once you lift it!! any higher then that its a world of head aches, even my dad tells me not to
he had a 79 F250 4x4 back in the days.......once he lifted it, stuff started breaking, im hoping to learn a bit more about the things "not to do" and the things that are okay to do, i see a lot of sd's in my town with huge lifts, and a few excursions, im sure theres a way to do it without breaking stuff .....we'll see. Im waiting for my brother to get his drivers license so i can hand him down my current car , then ill be getting the "BIG X ". My friggin lil bro took his driving test yeterday , but he failed so hopefully soon my time will come.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
sorry bout the sig monsta, i didnt get to it on time, i tried to PM you but looks like im disabled for the next few posts...............

Old 12-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Bajarider
Junior User
Drive a 6.0 PSD BEFORE you decide on used. The question to buy new or used will be answered the first time put your foot in it. I live in So Cal and have a home in Baja, the Excursion works well in both places, and you'll love the power of the 6.0 on the mountain grades around here, or on the way to Vegas.

Last edited by Bajarider; 12-24-2003 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: hey there!