General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anybody work for Tyco? Anybody want to admit it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 09:05 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-11-2002, 11:52 AM
marriedguy1
Senior User

Just curious if anybody out there will admit it. I worked for a great company two and a half years ago until we were bought out by these guys. We USED TO have great health insurance, great dental, excellent vacation/sick pay package.
Now moral is at all time low to go along with our company stock(what a benefit) and 401K plan. It seems that the corporate news just keeps getting better and better and of course the employees killing themselves for the company are always the last to know about the shke ups etc...
Just venting a little I hope that nobody gets the red butt.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:09 PM
ForDen
Senior User

We used to have them in a few of our fund portfolios, no longer of course, got out while the getting was good. Seems that a lot of diversified mergers always "f" up the company that is being bought. Big company brings in cost effective plans and screws up plans that were really working.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:40 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems the so-called Clinton booming economy was nothing more than a spiraling pyramid scheme that's finally collapsing. And people will have the gall to blame Bush for the corporate crap that's been going on.

Old 07-11-2002, 02:34 PM
HotWhlz85
Laughing Gas

>Seems the so-called Clinton booming economy was nothing more
>than a spiraling pyramid scheme that's finally collapsing.
>And people will have the gall to blame Bush for the
>corporate crap that's been going on.

Yup!!

Ron

:-X23

Old 07-11-2002, 03:52 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru

oh of coarse its all W's fault i mean his economic plan wasnt even in effect yet when the economy went to #&*! in a hand basket but hey lets blame him anyway right??
most times i think those dumbocraps need to get a good dose of reality and realize just how life works!!!

Old 07-11-2002, 03:53 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't work for tyco, but I do work for Adelphia. Does that count?

Old 07-11-2002, 06:21 PM
icelander
Elder User

>Seems the so-called Clinton booming economy was nothing more
>than a spiraling pyramid scheme that's finally collapsing.
>And people will have the gall to blame Bush for the
>corporate crap that's been going on.

im in NO way a clinton lover but i dont think he's to blame here, nor is GW. i was too young to care during his(clinton) admin. and liked it that way. what i see here( enron, global xing, tyco, worldcom, imclone, ect..) is a bunch of greedy corporate execs and their friends(ie mama stewart) making money the old fashion way, steeealing it! much like our friendly neighborhood politicians do. both sides of the isle have their hands in the cookie jar in any one of these collapses and its time "we the people" give them a swat on the XXXX and let them know how we feel.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:02 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

i know this has nothing to do with it, but id rather my president be running our country then screwing his secretary, stealing furniture, and selling pardons. At least Bush can keep his * in his pants and be a good rolemodel for the kids.

Old 07-11-2002, 08:10 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's keep it clean folks.

Question... if its okay for the Democrats to blame Reagan for corporate greed why isn't it okay to blame Clinton for corporate lying? Spin is a double-edged sword.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:01 PM
marriedguy1
Senior User

The thing that really gives me the red a$$, is that our former CEO made over 200 million dollars in a four year stretch. Yet he did not want to pay state sales tax on his art purchases. The tax would have been about 1 million dollars. That is what makes me sick. The atmosphere of greed is what the problem is.
My old company had a company sponsored pension plan that employees did not pay a dime into as well as a 401K plan. The first thing the bean counters do is freeze that plan, no more company contributions. Granted this pension plan did not give a lot of money to begin with, but heck it was an honest effort by the ownership to show some appreciation to its employees.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked for a small medical instrument manufacture, before we were bought out by TYCO. Four months later we were out of a job. They eliminated one more bussiness from the working person world of survivel.

Dave Powell :-(

Old 07-11-2002, 10:35 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster

Well, you still have a job. That's something to be thankfull for. I don't work for Tyco, but as of April I was w/ WorldCom. I moved halfway across the country and slaved away for four years for them only to get laid off in early April. I kinda wondered if we were on the up and up late last year when I learned that Arthur Anderson was keeping our books. Well, our CEO got his I think $10 million or billion dollar bonus last year and was laying people off left and right, then two weeks after I get laid off he quits. Takes his money and runs. Then they fire their CFO for corruption. It's sad to see so many companies in the news now with corruption and insider trading and illegit book keeping. :-X23

Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 PM
fordv10
Freshman User

Unfortunatly I also work for TYCO (take your company over) and they bought the sharps business from the company I used to work for. You are correct about the morale being in the dumps as it is the same out here.When our stock hit $33 I sold it all for a big hit.They keep preaching to us to buy it but they would have to give it to me and I don't think I would keep it.Also they just put our department on 12 hour shifts which blows. Sorry about ranting and raving,fordv10

Old 07-12-2002, 09:04 PM
4x4x4x4
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Jul-02 AT 10:07 PM (EST)]I was just cruising around and stumbled on this subject and feel the need to chime in.
Since this is a Ford truck site my thoughts may be of interest to some
folks here.
The quality of Ford products has deteriorated in the past couple of years and IMO most of this can be attributed to the overwhelming feeling of need to keep stock prices on the astronomical upward trend.It couldn't keep going up at the previous pace and had to end eventually.Now look at Ford's stock value compared to 2yrs.ago.
Ford's former CEO Jack (the knife)Nasser wanted Ford to be considered a consumer oriented company and not a manufacturer.He basically was a money man and IMO could have cared less about autos and trucks.He came along at a time when in the previous 5yrs.anything that Ford put on the lot that said truck was as good as sold.He led Ford Motor Co.,it's directors,stockholders,and employees away from the most important and basic principles.That's engineering,building,and backing up good quality vehicles that people want to buy and get good service from in return.
If the $$$$ is more important than the quality of the product you produce,then eventually it's going to bite you in the butt.In other words,build the best damn vehicles you can at a competetive price and the rest will take care of it's self.
Ford Motor Co.ran Jack's tail off last year and Bill Ford junior is in charge.He's got his work ahead of him.
In the last few years Ford forced many experienced people out the door in order to save $$$$ in the short term.They have spun off some plants (Visteon) and now are at the mercy of them for decent quality because it's out of Ford's hands.They overpaid for some European quickie lube chain a few years ago (Jacks bright idea) and turned around and sold it at a substantial loss.The list of bad buyouts,bad purchases and money draining joint ventures unfortunately goes on and on.
Bill Ford has persuaded many of the former big shots to come back for a while and get things back on track.Many plants also have some of the retired supervisors back double dipping to get things right again.They wouldn't have to pay them twice if they would have kept them in the first place.For that matter they had to pay Jack "the knife"a whole wad of $$$ just to leave.
I believe with Bill Ford at the helm there is a real commitment to get Ford back in line with what it takes to be a top notch domestic auto manufacturing co.Sadly there's only the "Big Two" left.That's strange and rather sad because we Americans are supposed to be extremely passionate about "our" autos and trucks.

Just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: Anybody work for Tyco? Anybody want to admit it?