Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Keyless Entry Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Mr_SteveO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for new "keys"? I bought mine used and only received one key and four key phobs. The key is the only thing I have to start the Explorer and I hear that new keys are around $100. The manual says new keys can be programmed but you need the two original keys to program them. Any thoughts?

Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
big o
New User
anybody have any ideas where to look for the module on an 01 sport trac. i bought it from a dodge dealer and don't want to pay the ford dealer to get it. big o

Old 02-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Mr_SteveO
New User
The module is probably in the same locations as noted above, under steering column or in glove box for the sport trac. Did you reference your owner's manual (if you received one) for the location?

Old 02-13-2004, 01:32 PM
witti
New User
Question

does any one happen to know how to program the garage door opener in the sunvisor of a 99 explorer eddie b. ed.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:52 AM
ozzy52
New User
Originally posted by witti
does any one happen to know how to program the garage door opener in the sunvisor of a 99 explorer eddie b. ed.
There are 3 buttons you can program for 3 garage door openers on the sunvisor. To clear out what they are currently programmed to simultaenously hold down the outer 2 for 20 seconds and then the red light starts flashing.

To program, pick one of the 3 buttons and hold it while you hold your garage door transmitter 5 or so inches from the sunvisor and hold down the button on it. When the red light starts flashing it means its learned the code. If that doesn't work do same as above but instead of just holding down the button on your transmitter press it once about every 2 seconds until the red light starts flashing. Thats what I had to do. It took about 30 seconds to learn it so I pushed the button on my transmitter about 15 times I guess, didn't really think it was working then viola the red light started to flash meaning it had learned it and sure enough it had.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:24 AM
witti
New User
thank you very much ozzy52

Old 02-21-2004, 10:46 PM
ozzy52
New User
Originally posted by Mr_SteveO
Anyone have any suggestions for new "keys"? I bought mine used and only received one key and four key phobs. The key is the only thing I have to start the Explorer and I hear that new keys are around $100. The manual says new keys can be programmed but you need the two original keys to program them. Any thoughts?
I just bought my Explorer (1999) this week and it only came with one key. When I read the manual and discovered you need two keys to make more I knew I was in for an unexpected big expense. Thats what I call a gotcha. This morning I went to one of the big "locksmith" chains in town and paid a total of $140 for two new keys. $70 for them to reset the computer and $35 each for the two keys.

By the way, I think a lot of people's idea of how it works is somewhat of a misgnomer. The keys themselves do not have to be programmed in any way. Each key has its own unique identifier from like a trillion possible. What has to be programmed is the computer on the vehicle to accept the particular identifier of a given key, not the other way around as a lot of people seem to think.

Now if I where ever to need an additional key it will "only" cost me $35. I'll just have the key cut and then with two existing keys that are recognized by the onboard computer you can program it yourself to start accepting a the new key, procedure is in the owners manual or easy to find online as well.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Mr_SteveO
New User
Ozzy, when they reset the computer did they use another computer/machine of some kind? or did they reset it by twisting the key on/off?

Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 AM
ozzy52
New User
They have a battery operated piece of computer gadgetry they use, like an overgrown Nintendo Gameboy. There is a computer interface at the lower lip of your dash (well my dash anyway) more or less inline with the steering wheel. They just plug their computer thing in right there, run through its menu and get it doing its thing. There are 2 10 minutes delays where you just have to sit around and wait for it, apparently Ford intentionally put in 2 10 minute delays to thwart car thieves from using this thing to steal cars. The guy doing it for me told me that the same computer thing he was using could also be used to get the engine codes if the check engine light where on. Also my Explorer has the numbers by the door handle and he asked if I had that code because apparently he could read that out of the computer for me if I needed it. (I'd already found it myself though thanks to these forums and a dental mirror) The entire process, having 2 new keys cut, then resetting/reprogramming the computer, took about 30-35 minutes.

Last edited by ozzy52; 02-24-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Mr_SteveO
New User
Thanks Very Much!

Old 03-06-2004, 04:27 PM
prcrboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little late, but with the ford "PATS" key system if you have two keys you can program additional ones yourself. I paid $18 for two off ebay and now if I loose one, I won't have to make that expensive trip. Below is the prodedure.

1. Make sure you have both keys.
2. Turn on car but don't start. Watch "theft" indicator untils it goes out.
3. Turn off and repeat procedure with second key.
4. After "theft light goes out, insert new key and turn on.
5. Wait until the theft indicator goes off and then turn off switch.
6. Wait thirty seconds. New key is now programmed into security module. Repeat for any other keys.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:25 AM
rtcherry
New User
Smile

I have a 2002 Explorer and the location of my keyless code was behind the right C-pillar panel (the one next to the rear seat). You need to fold down the rear seat, remove the upper C-pillar plastic panel, and then seperate the lower pertion away from the C-pillar, you will see a black box with a label, that is where I found my code. be careful as the plastic pieces are a little tricky to get back into place without breaking any of the fasteners.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:39 PM
mmhud
New User
Thanks for the tip I found it easily next to the jack in the rear, I looked at getting it from my past dealers, but he will tell you there is no such thing posted anywhere on the vehicle, you have to run the codes through there PC for $100, which wasnt worth it to me.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:28 PM
prcrboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer is partly correct. In the case of newer ford cars and trucks, the sticker no longer is applied anywhere. The old system used codes that were "hardwired" into each module. Each module had its own code. The new style module uses a programmable type chip and is factory programmed on the assy. line. Therefore, the diag. computer must be used to get the code if the plastic owners card is gone.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
SledgirlNY
New User
Thanks for the info on where to find the code for keyless entry. Mine was on the module in the jack compartment, but nowhere else. I know the dealer would have charged me for this.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Codes