1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

I'm confused (turn signals)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
BenDare2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Addendum........

Just an added note about the multi function switch.....It also has some control over the headlights......maybe thru the dimmer switch?

A friend had his lights go out at a bad time, (AB= after bartime) luckily they came back on and got him home!

The Ford shop replaced his MF switch..........

Just a point.........Ol'Ben

Old 05-22-2004, 10:25 AM
hummer010
New User
My wipers tend to operate randomly - generally when using the turn signals. I'm now guessing this is the MF Switch. Sometimes (Perhaps one in four) after using a turn signal, the wipers will go once or twice.

Old 06-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Carrac
New User
Exclamation Turn signal & random windsheild washer operation

This site is great!

About 3 months ago I noticed while turning on the windsheild washer (multi-function sw.) that the washer fluid pump would kick on and run for awhile...

Now my left turn signal has a rapid blink, left rear blinks fast, left front will not work...dash left signal indicator not working either...All bulbs checked except for dash bulb...

From what I have read above I should check the multi-function switch?

BTW, my truck is 2001 F-150 SuperCrew

Old 11-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Carrac
New User
Exclamation It was'nt the Multifunction switch!!

Well, after trouble shooting and spending $80 on a new multifunction sw. I found out the problem I have been having with my turn signals...

Like I said before...sometimes the left side would work...
Sometimes the left side would rapid blink...
Sometimes the left side would not work at all...

All bulbs replaced - new switch installed - new relay installed
PROBLEM NOT FIXED!

I eventually found that when I would tilt my wheel down, the wiring harness wires would back out of the connector, just enough to loose their connection.

Tilt the wheel up, and the signals would work again!

It looks like the harness was installed too tight, and over time the wires have been stressed when the wheel is tilted in its lowest position. Eventually, the wire clips that slide into the connector, broke the plastic tabs that keep them in place and would slide out of the connector as the steering wheel was tilted into its lowest position...

I guess the bottom line is: If your getting a rapid blink, and your bulbs are okay, make sure your steering wheel is in its upmost position, or even tilt it up and down a few times and see if the problem changes!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Ted98
Junior User
I had the fast blink problem. When I opened up the switch, I was amazed at how much green junk there was. I cleaned it all off and the blinkers have been working perfectly for the last 11 months.

As someone pointed out, putting the switch back together is a little tricky, so take pictures and pay close attention to how everything fits together.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Bronco7
New User
New guy with similar problem: quick flashing and rear signal is out (L/S). I guess first step is to check bulb...dont want to sound like a novice, but how do you pull the tail light cover on a 2001 F150 Supercrew (4X4, 5.4L)? There are no visible screws or clips, but Im not confident just prying it off, especially in the current cold weather. Thanks for any help

Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 AM
fredo58
New User
multifunction switch

I had same problem with signals,took it to garage and they replaced multifunction switch with labor 196.00 ouch Merry Christmas

Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
CONTACT CLEANER PEOPLE.... Preferably one with a silicone additive. Sprays thru a tube like WD-40 and eats up all the nasty green corrosion. You should always try this cheap simple fix before taking everything apart and/or replacing.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Bronco7
New User
Ready to try contact cleaner first...where do you apply spray to best fix the problem? Thx

Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
I would start by removing the cover plate under the steering colume to see if can get to it with the nozzel. After you spray it, be sure to move the switch back n forth to help clean the contacts.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Bronco7
New User
Thanks for all the advice and help, but after step 1, (replace the bulb), my quick blink was fixed. After reading all the data here, I was surprised that the problem wasnt something more sinister. Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2005, 08:43 AM
DMch
Junior User
The signal lever has the push to spray the wind shield and turn the wipers on. My problem
is that the switch when pushed will not always turn on the washer or wipers. It is very tempermental. Is this push switch part of the muilti switch?

Then yesterday my high beam indircator came on and stays on even when the truck is not running. It only goes out when the head lights are turned on to low beam.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:09 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
For the washers, pop the end cap off of the leaver and spray with contact cleaner.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:08 PM
ItchSappinR1
New User
Originally Posted by Carrac
Well, after trouble shooting and spending $80 on a new multifunction sw. I found out the problem I have been having with my turn signals...

Like I said before...sometimes the left side would work...
Sometimes the left side would rapid blink...
Sometimes the left side would not work at all...

All bulbs replaced - new switch installed - new relay installed
PROBLEM NOT FIXED!

I eventually found that when I would tilt my wheel down, the wiring harness wires would back out of the connector, just enough to loose their connection.

Tilt the wheel up, and the signals would work again!

It looks like the harness was installed too tight, and over time the wires have been stressed when the wheel is tilted in its lowest position. Eventually, the wire clips that slide into the connector, broke the plastic tabs that keep them in place and would slide out of the connector as the steering wheel was tilted into its lowest position...

I guess the bottom line is: If your getting a rapid blink, and your bulbs are okay, make sure your steering wheel is in its upmost position, or even tilt it up and down a few times and see if the problem changes!

HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH THE WIRE HARNESS BEING TO SHORT FOR THE TILT TO BE DOWN. IT BROKE THE WIRE HARNESS CLIPS THAT HELD IT ON. GLUED IT TOGETHER WITH EPOXY, NOW THEY ARE ONE UNIT.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:06 AM
VaRanger
New User
New to the forums actually found this forum looking for a solution to this. Hopefully this is the same problem...

In my case, the rear drivers side does not flash (bulb works though), the front flashes quickly but the right side is fine. However, my brake light does not work on that side either. Does anyone else have the issue with the brake light as well?

I have a 2003 Ranger with about 40K miles. This problem first popped up with about 37K miles - what a great time. Luckily, I do have the extended warrantee, which I decided to buy since I bought the truck in 04 with 25K on it.

I think I am going to take it in to the dealer and just pay them the $50 deductable and have them replace it. On a side note, does anyone know if the deductable on the warantee is per visit or per item? I need my radio replaced too since the numbers on the front don't all light up correctly.

Quick Reply: I'm confused (turn signals)