Diablo Chip Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:06 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Chip Report

miss post

You'll get the report tomorrow. I almost went ape just now!

Here's the scoop:

I just went to see if I'd recieved delivery, and my wife told me that I hadn't! I got soooooo pissed all of a sudden. So like 3 minutes ago I wrote this long post on how pissed I was. I called her back just to make sure she wasn't bs'ing me. She said I should wait until Monday until I got mad. So I kept pestering her, and she finally told me she had it...she was gonna surprise me when she got home. I just pissed her off I think.

Anyways, until tomorrow guys! And keep up the good work Ken!

Last edited by true4.2; 12-05-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:37 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Well guys, here we go:

I noticed no change from 1st gear through 3rd gear. 4th gear is a little stronger and the govenor is now raised/gone. I have the switch installed behind my stick shift on the lower black plastic panel. I've driven my truck for 85 miles now since the installation. It was fairly easy to install, but so far I'm not too happy with the results. I am going to drive it for 15 to 20 more miles today so that I hit the 100 mile mark. I've heard it takes about 100 miles for out computers to adapt to the chip in some cases.

I drove it multiple times with the switch off, and I drove it multiple times with the switch on and noticed almost no difference. It does shift smoother when I'm flooring it, but it doesn't go any faster than stock. I am going to look at this at every angle before I make a decision on the chip.

BTW, I called my friend up with the Integra that I raced about 2 weeks ago and asked if he'd re-race me. We raced 2 more times at exactly a quarter mile and he beat just as bad (if not worse) than he did before.

I'm not going to take it to the track this month because I don't have the time or the money (and I think it's closed anyways). I won't really know 100% for sure until I hit the track, but that won't be for a couple of months. I only have a 30 day trial period which is at about 28 days left right now. After I drive it again today, I'll let you all know my final decision.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 12-07-2003, 03:24 PM
strick88
Senior User
Thumbs up

how fast did u get................if u dont like it what are u options, getting a superchip?

Old 12-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Silly Question...but...you did use the proper grade fuel, right?

Old 12-07-2003, 10:43 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Joseph,

Please, if you have support issues, call! I'll be happy to address anything, be it installation, or anything else. There should be a big difference, I've done that same code numerous times.

Take the cable off - it'll default to the center mode when you remove the cable. If you don't see a difference or it doesn't start then its likely there's an installation issue.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Also Joe,

When switching between the stock and modified programs, the ignition must be in the "Off"position. You can't switch between the two while the ignition is on. You can only switch between to modified programs with the ignition on, but not the stock and modified programs.

As far as shifting, the chip will not really have any effect because your truck has a manual trans and will only shift as fast as you can shift it. The tighter shift feature is mainly for us Auto guys.

You really should notice a huge difference in 1 gear, because of the timing advance, you should get a neck snapping jerk in first gear as apposed to the slight sluggishness of the standard first gear.

How do you know the top speed governer has been raised? Have you had your truck over the 100 mph mark?

Also, to re-state the silly question above, did you have left over 87 octane in your tank or is it nice fresh 93 octane? You shouldn't have to drive 100 miles before the chip kicks in. I notice mine the very second I installed it. There should be no mistaking the power difference.

Did you make sure you got all the plastic coating off the underside chip board, the part that's hard to reach. Even if only one of those many terminals has not a good connection, your chip will not work. Take it out and make sure you've sanded everything really well.

Tom

Old 12-08-2003, 12:05 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Tom is most definately correct about the terminals. I used to not punch down cable all the way when I was in school, and thats a pain in the butt to trouble shoot. Same thing goes with the terminals in the chip. It sounds like its an install issue. I only say that because all your "faults" of the chip are it being stock. So if you do not notice anything improving, and there is a possibility of it not making perfect contact, I would start there. I hope it works out, cause I really wanna see what you get Joe.

Best of luck man!

Garrett

Old 12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Joe,

Reading back on your post, I noticed you mentioned that it was very easy to install. This is where I might say that you didn't get all the plastic coating off your computer board.

I remember mine being a real pain in the but when I first installed my JET chip. I had to take it out and put it back together 4 times before I got ALL of the plastic off. GRRRRRRR

The underside of the board was difficult. I had to use a large flat head screwdriver and mash the scowering pad between the board and the screw driver and really rub alot while holding a small flashlight to look inside to make sure I wasn't rubbing OVER the terminals and onto the board itself. It was a pain in the neck.

Take it back out and grab a flashlight and look inside, I don't think you got all the plastic coating off the underside.

It has to be it because you got the same truck I have and I know my chip kicks butt, so something is wrong.

Tom

Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
swingin.little.guitarman
New User
Immediate & noticeable results

I've had my Diablo two-stage chip installed for about two weeks. The performance setting produced an immediate and noticeable gain all along the power curve up to 115 mph. The auto tranny shifts were slightly firmer with less lag. If you don't notice the marked increase in acceleration from 20mph to 80mph with your chip I would recommend double checking your installation.

For those that are interested, I haven't noticed any significant increase or decrease in fuel mileage. It stays constant in the 16-17 mpg range around town.

The Diablo chip definitely increases the "fun factor" of driving my truck.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Nice info SLG. Tom..is that what you see too, same MPG??

Garrett

Old 12-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Drop 4.10 gears in rear if you REALLY want to have fun.

Tom

Old 12-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Actually G, I'm in the process of calculating my avg city mph right now. I've never done it before because frankly I really didn't care, but i am curious to see if my 4.10 gears give me better mileage around town the the 3.55 gears.

I think it will, because my truck has to strain much less to get from light to light. so i'm only basing my calculation on 10 gallons so give me a few days to see what I get. This will be all city miles.

Tom

Old 12-08-2003, 03:56 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Tom:

Yes, I've been above 100 a few times now with the chip in the on postition. When I put it in the off position, the govenor comes on, so I know the switch is working.

I just got off the phone with Ken a few minutes ago. Basically I just took my computer back out to see if I missed any spots for cleaning. I went over it with nail polish remover a few times and did a little bit more scrubbing. Those contacts are squeaky clean as far as I can tell. I'm afraid if I rub them anymore I'm going to get to the copper part and make the connection to thin. The truck starts up just fine with the chip in and with it out.

Yes, I turned the truck off when I switched it from on and off positions. I will say this, that truck probably got up to about 115 with no problem with the switch on.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
So, assuming the chip is working correctly, you can't tell any difference other than the governer? that sux. what are you going to do?

Tom

Old 12-08-2003, 04:11 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
I'm not sure yet. Hey, did you leave your battery unhooked for 20 minutes after you installed the chip or did you just hook it right up?

(Hey, stick around for a little bit if you can. I'm going to be in and out for a few minutes at a time because I'm dealing with the chip as we speak.)

Quick Reply: Diablo Chip Report