1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do, after 4yrs of ownership problems showing up on 99 5.4 sd

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 PM
krane operator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jan-03 AT 09:40 PM (EST)]Ok, I ordered my truck and got it 11/98. This is one nice ride. Dark torredor clear mettalic xcab swb. This truck has never seen any hard work nor hard towing. It has always been garaged with service done on regular basis by me. Had all recalls done and only problems that gave me during its warranty time were speed sensor and gas tank brackets and the tailgate molding replaced. I had heard of the piston slap but had no idea what that sounded like. Well just last year it started to do that very faintly around winter time. Not much, but I could hear it. But that would go away quickly. Well this past December(02)I hit 50,000 miles on the truck. Took the sd on a 4000 mile round trip from Houston Tx to San Diego Ca. On our way back we stoped in Flagstaff Az, and next day started her up and the freaking engine was just knocking like heck. Mannn that pised me off couse our friends all had chebbys and no sound from them and yes theirs were 99 also. Well after engine got warm it stopped. Long story short , know i am home and the damn thing knocks every time its started, and goes away when warmed up. And to make matters worse I found a oil leak on the passenger side of engine twords the back, oil dripping on the y pipe.
That pisses me off even more.I have read posts here on these problems showing up soon but not 4 years later. So if anybody has the same problem and has tried some fix im all ears. thanx
99 sd 5.4 xcab 54300 miles (built date 10-98)

:-(

Maybe my truck is just getting old.:-X23

Old 01-07-2003, 08:50 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well for the piston slap problem ,its the short skirt pistons used in these engines and design. No fix except scream loud!
I will say this ,you are not alone ,lots of people have it !

For the oil leak there is a recall on some 5.4 to replace the head gaskets first,then the heads if it doesn't fix it,then there have been some that get reman engines.

Maybe trade up !
Get away from it!
time for change!

Rich
02 F250 4x4 SC 5.4v8 6spd 3.73ls Trueblue/Silver and Chrome Nerfs

"All Levers"

Old 01-07-2003, 08:58 PM
tigerman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a disappointment, to say the least! The build date on mine is 9-98 , bought it new and has 28,000 fairly easy miles. Likewise, I have done the maintenance that exceeds that required in the owner's manual. So far its been a pleasure to own and operate. But I'll scream like hell if that noise and leak appears in mine.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:59 PM
krane operator
Tuned

99 sd xcab swb dark torredor clear mettalic
02 fog lights (perfect fit)
02 6cd indash
Pioneer 6x8 speakers

Well to feel that this baby is just about paid off and have to deal with this is not good. Thanx anyway.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:02 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you 100% sure it's piston slap?

If the head is leaking oil, maybe it's also allowing compressed gasses to escape- until the head heats up, expands and "seals" the leak.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:24 PM
krane operator
Tuned

>Are you 100% sure it's piston slap?
>
>If the head is leaking oil, maybe it's also allowing
>compressed gasses to escape- until the head heats up,
>expands and "seals" the leak.

Well all I know the oil leak is not that big. At least I think. I changed the oil and cleaned up all the oil that saw by the y pipe and around tranny area. There is no oil spot where its parked, but when I changed oil after the trip I saw it on the y pipe and tiny specks on differential and gast tank. But no, it does not leak on the floor. So Mr Nomo do you think this type of leak will cause compressed gasses to escape. Am I running the right type of oil ? I use 5w-30. Motorcraft oil filter.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:33 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you have a leaky headgasket or not. Or even if you do have a leak, if that's the noise you are hearing. I was just throwing out another possibility.

However, I have heard "piston slap" (my '00 F150 had it) and it usually only lasts about 1 minute... not really until the engine is hot. The "slap" sounded a lot like an leak that I had on my '93 F150 with cracked exhaust manifold- only the "slap" was somewhat less audible.

You are definitely using the correct oil weight & filter. Doubtful that anything you have/haven't done is to blame for the problems you are having now.

Wish you luck in finding and correcting the issue. Be sure to keep us updated on what you find.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:40 PM
tigerman
Senior User

Yeah, NoMo, I've had that happen on Mopar engines from the 60 thru 80's. Just tighten down the valve cover when it's cold or sometimes even the exhaust manifold and sealed the leak. That's a relief when something that simple fixes it.

Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jan-03 AT 08:56 AM (EST)]First, get that oil leak fixed. Second my '97 F-150 5.4 had the same "slap". Drove me crazy for the first year. The dealer told me they could not hear it.....or at least Ford told them to not hear it. I had no idea there was a piston slap problem with the 5.4 until I found FTE. BUT, I figured since I could get no satisfaction from the dealer, I would just drive it.....so I did. 121,000 miles later the thing ran fine, burned just under a quart between changes,,,,,just like when it was new. I got good gas mileage and it had plenty of power. I just recently sold it to a friend and he couldn't be happier with it. Mine would do just exactly what yours does. It would knock when it was cold, then go away a minute later. I know it is a problem with this engine, but it never affected the performance of mine. So I would just keep up with the maintenance and try not to let it bother you......

Old 01-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

Krane Operator,

First thing I'd check would be the exhaust manifold. There have been issues with bolts loosening. You would likely hear it under heavy load though, even when the engine is warm.

If it is piston slap, I'd be taking it to a Ford dealer that you know has had to deal with the piston slap issue, if it's a big dealer, they've dealt with it, and don't let them tell you otherwise.

Let it sit overnight and agree on a time that you show up with the keys to start it cold in the AM, make sure the SERVICE MANAGER and the head technician, or at least someone familiar with piston slap is there, if you can get them to admit it's piston slap, you've won a major battle. Don't be afraid to push a little if you have to.

Armed with this and your records/receipts of maintenance (please tell me you keep these somewhere) you've got a pretty strong case to go after Ford with. You're well out of your warranty, but you'd be surprised what a little noise, or a LOT of noise, can get you (just remember the old honey vs. vinegar saying). Having the dealer on board is invaluable, so if the first one won't co-operate, try another, don't be afraid to dangle the carrot of future sales from you and your buddies(FTE) in front of them. Finally, solid maintenance records make it hard for Ford to pass the buck on to you for poor maintenance/abuse.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck.

Waxy

Old 01-08-2003, 08:54 PM
krane operator
Tuned

Thanx everybody for all your imput, and Waxy for some unknown reason I have kept all the receipts for oil and other maintanence items in my owners manual(always chunk them in there). I will go to Ford and tell them this, cause I have nothing to loose. But next time I will wait 2 years to buy the next new model superduty. Someone here said once that why wait when the big boss is watching over there backs, heck apparently they were'nt watching when they built the first superdutys -AIC valves, speed sensors, p-slap,small tow hooks and so forth, my 2cents
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Old 01-08-2003, 08:59 PM
krane operator
Tuned

Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 PM
1999F250
Freshman User

We'll I'm right in there with ya...I have Loud Piston Slap every morning now...What a wonderful noise to start the day with....The more I hear it the more I get upset..I have a 1999 F250 with the V10 48,000 when piston slap started...Just an FYI, I have a couple of complaints in at Ford....They do not care...I am now burning 1 quart of Oil every 3000 miles...Quality is Job #1 Remember those commercials....What a joke...You pay for the Truck Monthly for 4 - 5 years, then you can't even sell it at a decent price because of the crappy engine noise...I love it, the maintenance manuel says no tune-ups until 100,000 miles...I do not think I will even make 100,000...maybe Ford knew it...

Chevy is not much better either...It seems all these trucks have the potential for this problem...It's like playing the Lottery...Some are lucky...It does suck though...I think Ford had some Engine Manufacturing Problems in late 98...My truck was built in Dec 1998...

See Ya...