Carburetor problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:28 PM
mariusz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carburetor problem...

Hello everyone!
I rebuilt 250CID engine in my '75 Granada this summer. Bored it .030'' over with all the new parts. Only a crank, block and head castings are orginal. I took all the emission control systems out (air pump, EGR). The EGR intake in the carb spacer was already plugged by the previous owner of the car.
The problem I have is probably (hopefully) carb related. I have stock Carter YFA carb in my Granada. And my Granada is doing stange thing after the startup on cold engine. If I depress the gas pedal once, it starts up, with chocke closed and running rough for a while, than straightening up and runing smooth. If I pump the gas pedal a few times before starting the engine, it runs smooth with choke closed choke for a 2 or 3 seconds, than
it's getting rough again and straightening up. I had similar problem happening while starting it up on hot engine, but added more gas using mixture screw and it got straighened up.
Do you have any ideas of what may be the problem? Carb has never been opened.
One more thing are the spark plugs, they are correct for sure and they are a little carbon fouled. The choke isn't sticking for sure. Do you think I should rebuild the carb?
Do you think I should get pre-smog (pre '75) carb for my Granada? Or may I use 300CID carb in it?
Think there is one more thing I haven't mentioned. I'm not sure if it's getting too much or less gasoline than it needs at the startup on cold engine. If pumping the gas pedal helps, I assume it's not getting as much gasoline as it needs. Adjusting the mixture screw to make it start properly causes overfloating while idling/running hot.
Any ideas?
I'm still considering getting 300CID Carter YFA carb from a truck. It's rated at 215cfm's as pre '75 Carter RBS carb for 250 inline six was rated.
What do you think about this idea?
I know it's not a Ford truck related question, but I thought you truck guys may know the answer.
Thanks in advance for help!
Mariusz...
Poland, Europe

P.S. Let me know if you have good well working 300CID Carter YF carb with spacer for sale.