2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Titan Pricing is out

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 02:53 PM
SD Mark
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titan Pricing is out

It's on the nissanusa website.

I checked it out and it looks pretty competitive (the pricing). I priced a mid-range (SE?) crew cab titan 4x4, and it's less than a F-150 crew cab XLT with similar features.

I'm waiting a few months to see the reliability of the new Ford and Titan and also to check out the Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab (released in early 2004, I think).

I'd rather have the F-150, but if the Nissan is a little cheaper for the same product and the Silverado is a lot cheaper for a somewhat lesser product (not as new of a design), then I'm going to have a hard time picking the Ford.

Hopefully, there will be some Ford incentives.

There's no real question here, I guess I'm just a little disappointed that it's going to be hard (rather than a no-brainer) for me to pick the F-150.

SD

Old 11-26-2003, 04:37 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts
Well I can tell you right now the Silverado won't be cheaper than the competition. GM is like Toyota, they think their vehicles are made out of gold for some reason. It's ironic considering they are the most unreliable of the "Big Three".

The Titan sure looks like a competitor. It's INITIAL quality seems to be much higher than the F-150. The thing is, this is their first attempt at a full-size truck and no one knows how durable they are going to be for the long run.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Chiefman
Senior User
The F-150 has something that the Titan does not have. It's a proven vehicle and the F-150 also has more configurations you can choose to get the vehicle that is right for you. The Titan will go up in price quickly after its launch. That is typical after a lowball introduction strategy.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by WXboy
The Titan sure looks like a competitor. It's INITIAL quality seems to be much higher than the F-150.
How did you go about determining this on a vehicle that isn't out yet against a vehicle that hasn't been out long enough to get quality ratings? Give us links to your sources (facts please).

Old 11-27-2003, 06:30 AM
LanderBlue
New User
Well I won't predict the future quality for the Titan. But I will take a look at it. I have never owned anything other than A Ford truck. I am currently in the market and checking all my options. At least in my opinion I think Ford may lose some buyers due to pricing and incentives. I like the new F-150 but will not pay $2000-$3000 more for less options. I don't think the quality of the Titan will be a question. The same goes for the F-150. I just wish Ford would go ahead and offer more incentives. It would make my decision much easier. I have a friend that just bought a 2004 Dodge Quad.. The MSRP $33500. 4x4, Hemi, pretty much loaded besides leather. He paid $26900. That is hard for me to swallow when the STX supercab 4x4 with less options and power is that price or more... If I compare the same trucks I would be looking at a purchase price of $4000-$6000 more... That is really hard to swallow.... As I said... I am a Ford man but I may stray... I will take a closer look at the Titan when it reaches dealers next week. I have driven and looked at the F-150 for a while now, so I will see how it measures up...

98 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4
65 Ford Mustang 289 A-code

Old 12-11-2003, 12:13 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Option ??

IMO buying a truck based on its options is a marketing type's dream. Trucks should be trucks first. The F150 is a proven performer, offers good value, and is competitive. I just bought a 2003 F150 XLT, this was after looking at other products, some just being introduced this year. My number one reason for spending my hard earned $$ on a F150 was its proven record, as a truck, not a SUV, or how many cup holders it has. I also have a history of buying Ford products, (not exclusivly), and their trucks are #1. Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster
How did you go about determining this on a vehicle that isn't out yet against a vehicle that hasn't been out long enough to get quality ratings? Give us links to your sources (facts please).
How? Because I've read countless articles discussing the mechanical engineering and design behind the Titan. I'm not talking about how it looks, I'm talking about how it's constructed. And I doubt Nissan would lie about how they are building their new truck. That is why I said INITIAL quality is superior. Yes, we'll have to see them on the road for a few years to determine overall reliability and quality. But you don't have to sit in one to know that initial quality is at the top of the class.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
As always, it can be a little difficult directly comparing prices when the packages are done differently. I used a SE King Cab to try to compare with my XLT Supercab.

Indeed, the MSRP seems around $2,000 less, but I don't see any mention of incentives or rebates. I got $1,750 in rebates, and 1.9% financing for 60 months on my 2004 F-150.

That would make prices seem pretty even, with the 1.9% financing making the Ford a better value. The only way I could be more accurate would be to actually try to make a deal with a salesman.

From everything I hear, the Titan is probably a fine truck. But every time I looked at and test drove another truck, I always got out of it still thinking about the F-150.

Like all fine things in life, after you lay out 25 to 30 Grand, it better make your heart beat a little faster.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Wisky
Freshman User
I don't like all the extras on my pickups. Fords are expensive and Ford is not doing a real good job of incentives and rebates, but I just bought the F150 XL scab 4x4 with 5.4, cruise, CD, tow pkg, fogs lights for 26770 with 72 mos. 1.9%. Without doing the math here, inflation of the dollar will be at least 3 or 4% over the next 72, so, paying that price mostly out in future dollars is a nice "real" dollar savings.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:49 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
I am not sure how you can state the F-150 is more proven than the Titan, can't be by much, they are both new vehicles redesigned from the ground up.

I am leaning towards the F-150 but will wait another month or two to monitor the problems with it.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:54 PM
95CobraR
Tuned
Toy trucks

I'd be interested in seeing your final figures. I know Ford has a $1000 rebate on the '04 F150 plus they discount the sticker price. It seems to me that the important $$ figure is drive out price. If the titans have a rebate and the dealers are willing to discount, you may be able to beat the F150's on price. You'll have to wait 3-5 years to see if the resell values will hold up. Resell will be based on consumer demand. Consumer demand will depend on the overall success of the truck for it's intended purposes: towing, hauling, reliability, work ability, off-road, etc.

Of course, I would buy the Ford. They have made 29 million F -series trucks. They have proven they know the market. How many has Datsun made?

Check out my post on the SD thread. I think the F250/350 is the better buy today.

Good luck

Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
wahoo
Senior User
95CobraR,

I've noticed you always refer to Nissan as Datsun, which it was called in the U.S. until 1985. What is the reason for that?

I assume it's because you believe Datsun is somehow less desirable name. Sorry if I'm wrong. But I'm just curious why.

I also assume by your screen name that you like performance cars. It was the original Datsun Z series that won the SCCA Class C championship EVERY year it was made.... 1970-1978. It won nearly 80% of it's races. I call that domination in racing. So it strikes me that you don't respect the company being such a performance car guy.

Again, if I'm off base, sorry. Just wondering what motivates you calling it Datsun when it hasn't been called that since 1985.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
95CobraR,

Everything you mention is correct. But I really don't put that much emphasis on resell. I have kept all my cars and trucks a very long time. After 10 years and 150,000 miles, the resale value just won't be a big player.

Without counting trade, my drive out was $24,840 with a 1.9% 60 month loan. The MSRP on a similar Titan is $26,910 with no way to be sure how well they will be discounted. Neither the newspaper ads, nor the Nissan website makes any mention of rebates or special financing. (Remember; that 1.9% loan is worth as much as another $2,000 discount.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:06 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by wahoo
95CobraR,

I've noticed you always refer to Nissan as Datsun, which it was called in the U.S. until 1985. What is the reason for that?

I also assume by your screen name that you like performance cars. It was the original Datsun Z series that won the SCCA Class C championship EVERY year it was made.... 1970-1978. It won nearly 80% of it's races. I call that domination in racing. So it strikes me that you don't respect the company being such a performance car guy.

wahoo,
I remember the 240/260/280Z's very well. It was a great sports car. It had decent hp, RWD, 4 wheel disks brakes, affordable price, and IRS when Ford/GM/Dodge didn't have much in the high-po area. But then they made it heavy and turned it into a luxury vechicle with an expensive sticker. And 1970-78 was a long time ago. The new 350Z is a little slow and luxury-based. I can't think of another cool car they made since the old Z's.

Sorry, I guess I'm just old. I just think of them as Datsun. I still call Charlotte Speedway, Charlotte. Lowe's doesn't pay me enough to call it Lowe's. I still call Atlanta airport, Atlanta. Not Hartsfield-Jackson-whatever Airport. No slur intended.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:26 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by JohnBoy2
95CobraR,

But I really don't put that much emphasis on resell.

Without counting trade, my drive out was $24,840 with a 1.9% 60 month loan.

(Remember; that 1.9% loan is worth as much as another $2,000 discount.
JohnBoy2,
Congrats on your new truck. It sounds great and you got an excellent deal. Be careful, your relatives/friends will be calling wanting to borrow it.

Yea, I probably over analyse numbers, but it is my business. You probably don't need to worry about resell, but alot of people do need to think about it. When I bought my '97F150, I thought I would keep it forever. I found I needed more towing capacity so I had to sell it after only 7 1/2 years. I was glad it had great resell. I already miss it.

Please remember different situations have diferent financial problems. The 1.9% deal was better than $2K for you. If someone is buying a truck through and for their business, their deal may work different ( due to depreciation tables, etc.). If someone is borrowing against a home-equity loan (deductible interest) vs. a truck loan with Ford, their deal may be different (depending on tax bracket). Like I said. Do the numbers.

Happy Holidays