Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door lock problems

I went to get in my truck (1994 F-150) and the key wouldn't move once in the door lock. Just 30 minutes earlier it worked fine. It's not the key, it worked with no problem in the passenger side. I have never had a problem before. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? Would putting some graphite stuff in the lock work? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Old 11-14-2003, 04:30 AM
missouguy
Elder User
That is the first thing I would try. Maybe a little WD40.

Frank

Old 11-14-2003, 06:52 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I cannot offer a solution, but I can make you feel less alone. My 87 does the same thing on the passegner side. Key goes in but will not turn at all. I checked the linkage from the lock but found nothing. The power lock also works fine on the inside. My guess in my case faulty lock. Let me know how the graphite/lube works out. Good luck

Old 11-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Jimbeaux
Junior User
Never spray WD40 into a lock. Never. There are spray lubes made for locks that will not gum up like WD40. Don't get me wrong, I use WD40, but never in a gun or lock. If you have a lot of time and very little money, you can get the lock apart and remove any of the pins that don"t line up on the sheer line with the key in (or file them to fit) and put it back together. If you have never been into a lock before, just plan on replacing it. Lock sets realy aren't that expensive. Have you tried your spare key?

Old 11-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
Thanks for the input, I tried it again tonight and after some wiggling, it worked. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:34 PM
missouguy
Elder User
That's funny about the WD40. I go to a local gun shop and key service and on every work bench is a can of WD40. Go figure.

Frank

Old 11-15-2003, 12:27 AM
bourbon
Senior User
its possible that one side of your key isnt the same as the other. if it wont budge using the key one way, try turning it 180 degrees and inserting it again, or try a different key. i have keys that work like that in my mustangs ignition.

as for the wd40........ i have some advice. i live in Minnesota and when we get freezing rain it will freeze your locks shut. i use to use the stuff you can buy at any store that de-ices your lock when you squirt it in. then someone told me it can corrode your locks. wd40 was next, and it works fine but......ive noticed that when you spray bolts with wd40 it will evaporate and dry sorta quickly. so now i use fogging oil on my locks. it works good cause it comes in a spray can and it stays around longer than wd40. if you dont know, fogging oil is used to spray oil on your cylinders to keep them from rusting like when your rebuilding a block.