1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 psd still no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:57 PM
dr9999
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 psd still no start

I've been driving a 95 psd 6.5 years and all i ever had to do is put deisel and go. I just bought this 97 and it's taking me to school......anyway, yesterday after a 2-3 minute warm up she died about a mile from home. later that afternoon i put a new cps, still no start. today i tried wd40 with no nothing, then sparing use of starting fluid it sputtered along with the starter. similar amouts with my 95 psd would have raced the engine- i would somtimes use it after long cold duck hunts, very sparingly almost none would do the trick. i inspected the wiring harness and found 2 spots with strands of wire exposed, but not touching anything. local forddealer say's glow plug wiring assy.-$433.32. so i plan to take it out for closer inspection and/or repair. I also found the hose from some electrical thingy( back left firewall) disconnected from the left side of hose from turbo. i reconnected that, nothing. i compared diodes from both trucks they look ok to me. checked all fuses, ok. I went to the library and verified that those books are still useless. what i plan to buy is a top notch shop manuel. i don't believe the root cause is glowplugs or glowplug relay. since i drove my 95 3 winters witha burnt relay(south Louisianna, coastal). Where do i locate, and troubleshoot icp, pcm, ebpv. i have noticed a miss on about 2 ocasions. and today observed hardly any smoke from exhaust. wait to start light only stays on 3.5 seconds. the batteries were slowing down so i connected jumper cables to 95 psd. which gave it a fast turnover. recently when i changed the air filter i found that someone did'nt install the filter right, and the hoses leading to the turbo where dirty. Any information greatly appreciated!!!!
Where can i buy parts at reasonable prices? What manuel should i shop for?.........Many thanks!!

Old 11-17-2003, 07:34 PM
dr9999
Junior User
Update

Local mechanic's comprter points to ebpv or pcm. he ordered a ebpv and will install it in the morning.

Is there a convenient place to price parts and locate parts online?

Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
sparke454
Senior User
dr9999
check out your local international dealer. i have had to replace a cam position sensor as well as the glow plug relay. both items are stocked at international and they are anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars cheaper. to top it all off the engine in mostly a international. the only thing ford on the engine are the accessories( air cond pump, alt, etc.).
good luck

Old 11-26-2003, 09:39 PM
dr9999
Junior User
still unsure, i was offshore for a couple weeks while my truck was in the shop. It was ready when i got home. its running fine, but i didnt talk to the mechanic and paperwork is unledgible, but my girlfriend said they changed the fill pump. the fuel tank was removed but i could'nt tell what was done. I'll check in to it and post the results.....many thanks to all!

Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would pull the codes and see if anything comes up. If it is a sensor, it should come up on the codes, might be a feul filter too. Usually our diesel when it is really cold, you will have to hold the pedel to the floor to get it to start. Check to see if you have feul pressure too. Push the little release button on the feul rail, and see what you have.