Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Expedition Vs Tahoe & Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 08:39 AM
jejenkins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition Vs Tahoe & Yukon

I have been shopping for several months for a used Tahoe or Yukon. I have a 26 foot recreational camper that I tow about once each month on a trip.

I was shopping for a 2000 or 2001 Tahoe in excellent condition and with low mileage.

Everytime I found one it was 24 to 26000 dollars. When I found one at the price that I wanted to pay, it had high mileage or had not been treated very well.

The only way I could make my price cap and mileage come together was to shop for a 1999 or older. So I was faced with buying an older model. I ruled that option out. The only other option seemed to pay more money.

Then my girl friend said have you tried the Ford Explorer. I currently had owned a 1998 Blazer. I told her that the Ford Explorer was not that much different then my Blazer. But then I remembered that I had heard that the Explorer can be optioned with a V8 engine in it.

So I decided to take a look. Well I went to a dealership to test drive a Ford Explorer with the V-8 Engine. While there I saw the Expedition model. I knew about them, but I had never considered it because of shopping exclusively for a Tahoe or Yukon.
I guess I had kind of dismissed them because of looking one time at a Ford Navigotor and running away becuase of the price. I kind of compared it to the Cadillac Escalade. To me they were vehicles with lendless options and comforts. And they demanded lots of money from the purchaser..lol.

I test drove a 2000 Expedition with the 4.6 engine. I loved it.

A quick comparison revealed some amazing up front points.

The 2000 Expedition I drove was loaded with extra features such 17 inch wheels instead of 16. The interior controls even for the electric windows were lighted. A large Flat floor space for the driver and front passengers feet. Moveable pedals and a CD changer, running boards etc.

I don't know if most would think this is good, but I did. The 2000 Expeditions book price is lower then the 2000 Tahoe. So I was able to find a 2000 Expedition loaded with many more options and with low mileage and in excellent condition in the price range I wanted to pay.

So now I am the happy owner of a this 2000 XLT Expedition with the factory tow package. It has leather uphostery and rear heat and air. I think it has a sport package because it has 17 inch wheels and tube step running boards and fender flair covers. It was a one owner vehicle with 32,000 miles, non smoker and garage kept. It was traded-in on a new Ford Expedition. The Ford dealership put it through the shop before putting it in the lot and did 1243.00 of labor and parts on it. It has new front brakes, brand new tires and wheel alignment. Oil change, transmission filter change with the additional service checks slated for a 35000 mile vehicle.

I was able to trade my blazer in for the kelley blue book trade-in price and purchase this Expediton for just under the kelly blue book retail price.

Sure the Tahoe is probably worth a little more at trade-in at least in my immediate area, but it is my hope to be hanging onto this Expedition for a long time. Everytime I drive it and I discover some new feature like it being wired for my electric trailer brake, I realize that at least in the year 2000 the Expedition was was out in front of the Tahoe in design and style and features.

In fact I like the this body style better then the brand new Ford Expedition body style. I think the interior look is better too.

With the 17 inch wheels my Expedition sits at about the height of a 4x4 250 Truck.

I know the new style incorporates the new floor design for better back seating, but I don't like the lowered body design and the body line changes. If anything it kind of makes it more large van/car like instead of 4x4. Just my opinion.

On the other hand I really like the look of the 2003 Z71 Tahoe. It holds to the 4x4 look that I really like!

So now I am glad that I did not find a 2000 Tahoe or Yukon. I would have like it, but sooner or later I would have realized that I could have gotten more bang for my buck with the 2000 Ford Expedition!

Old 11-08-2003, 10:27 AM
WillieWildcat
Senior User
I purchased a 98 Expy with the 4.6L and my recommendation is to get one with the 5.4L. That said, the Ford has a nicer interior and better ride than the GM counterparts IMO. But it is really 6 one way, half-dozen the other since they are both excellent vehicles and Japan doesn't have anything close to offer (In an affordable price range).

Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Multipierce
Junior User
I would definately stay with the expedition. My dealership specializes in 4x4 trucks and SUV's (sorry can't help you on the name...not allowed) but the point is the Expeditions are far superior vehicles mechanically wise. Everything i sell (used) has a 1 year warranty, the expeditions disappear and never come back. The Yukon/Tahoes are always coming back. Their trannys are less than wonderful, and their interior quality is terrible. Things rattle, fall off, just cheap plastic that does not wear well. Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel very very strongly to stick with the expeditions, I can't recommend them enough. Good Luck.

Dube

Old 11-08-2003, 05:50 PM
lawnservice
New User
You did the right thing!!!!

I have had my 98 since new- 60,000 miles now and only in for wiper switch-- My dad and brother both have Yukon's one with 5.3 and other with 6.0- They have burned oil -yes oil from day one!!! 1/4 quart every 3000 miles.... ( you say thats not so bad? well were is it being used up eh? valve train maybe? ) my expo has yet to burn oil!!! also they have been in for failure to start- (left mom in the cold thanks GM)
abs- and other minor but pesky items. 4.6 is fine for the wife and gets 2 more mpg. If you are going to pull alot get the 5.4 with 3:73 if opt.

More room between front and middle seat also--
well time to go have a great day and stay away from the gm suv's
new vortex sucks oil .

Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 AM
jejenkins
Freshman User
Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition

If you are going to do heavy towing or towing on a weekly or daily basis I agree that the larger V-8 is the way to go.

But I have towed my camper and it tows great. I towed this camper with a 98 Blazer with a 4.3.

In the scheme of things bigger is always better, but in normal everyday life with high priced fuel to contend with I am glad that I have the 4.6 V-8 because it can tow 6300 pounds. My towing is usually one weekend a month from late spring to late fall. The rest of the time I sure appreciate the fuel savings when it is just driving here and there.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:32 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
My Experience.

I had an Expedition up until a few months ago. It had the 4.6 in it.
I argued the whole time I had it, that Ford had no business putting such a puny motor in such a heavy vehicle. Theres no way it will Comfortable pull what Ford says it will, I pulled a fraction of that (about 1200 pounds) and on some of the hills in WV it was just upsetting. The Tranny went out at 44,000 miles. BUT I feel the 4.6 is a More reliable engine, the 5.4 of those years had the lovely, blow the plugs out of the head, and head gasket leaking problem. And it was very frequent. Fuel mileage on the 4.6 offered NO advantage over the 5.4.
The only thing I DID like about our expy was the look (inside and out).
I think if you go back over to the expy forums, youll see a post where I compared the vehicles you are comparing. We have a 5 year old Tahoe here at work with the 5.7 in it, It has 167,000 miles on it, it gets beat through the mud, banged into trees, Etc..
It has less squeaks, rattles and problems, than my 99 Expy had.
BUT has a very dated look to it.

Ron
00 Excursion Limited 4x4 V-10

Old 11-12-2003, 11:52 AM
jejenkins
Freshman User
Ford Engines

It is hard to catalog a few problems then rate them as serious design problems.

There are always some lemons or a few issues that the motor companys will usually try to resolve.

As for Ford engines. In the last several years rated as some of the best.

Perhaps you had a high ratio rear end made for out west or down south where it is primarily flat.

My campers dry weight is 4000 pounds and I know it has to weigh around 5500. I pulled it in hilly terain and I live in WV. I don't expect the Expy to tow it like it is not there. To do that it would have to be a beast that would get 10 or 12 mile per gallon when not towing. Kind of like an Excursion.

I felt like I could tow it as fast as the speedo would go. I easily could hit 80 on the highway. 50 or 60 in hilly terrain. I have not towed in serious mountains yet, but it would not be good to be going fast anyway on a curvy steep mountain either up or down.

I have the factory tow package and I think it would make a difference in a Expy. Trans coolers, oil coolers and probably diff ratios etc.

The trans wear you were talking about could have been due to driving in overdrive when you should have been in Drive. The manual says that if you are in hilly terrain and you notice frequent shifting that you should shift to drive. Freguent shifting also includes torque lockup. A feature besides the overdrive to save fuel.

My 21 year old son has a 2000 F250 4x4 with the 5.4 engine. It has 135,000 mile on it and it is a work electrical construction truck. It does lots of towing, 4x4 off roading and gets less then ideal care. Engine, trans, truck has had no issues. He changes oil, changes tires and puts gas in it. It has hit a deer, tailgate bent and has been stuck in mud a few times to the point that it had to be towed out but still no issues.

That truck made me free comfortable about shopping for a Ford Expy vs a Tahoe.

Old 11-12-2003, 12:06 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Agree

No, all the towing I did was in drive. Im not Saying the Expy was Junk, absolutely not. But I do feel that the 5.4 motor is a much better match for this vehicle than the 4.6. The 4.6 has to struggle to much, and because of this, it offers no Fuel economy advantage over the 5.4. Our Excursion, with the V-10 on flat lands down to the beach, gets 17 MPG. Towing, it gets depending o weight of course, about 15. (only towed about 2,000 pounds).
This is on Flat Ground. On the hills, it never dropped below 13 towing or 14 not towing, which is neck and neck with the 4.6.
I feel Deep down that the 4.6 is one of the most trouble free motors ford has made, I think they have an excellent reliability record. I just feel however that the Expy is too Much weight for it.
My Expy had the 3:55 rearend in it, and with that rearend and motor, You really have to scream its guts out on steep hills which I wasnt comftorable doing.

Ron
00 Excursion limited 4x4 V-10