General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

chevy and Ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy and Ford

Ok, I found this sight a few months ago and have been visiting it regularly. One thing that I have noticed is that not very many of you, or on a second thought none of you like chevys. Now my first truck was a 69 chevy 3/4 292. It was a great truck with who knows how many miles were on it. But now I am dumping in a 350 which I am going to spend probably about 2000-2500 dollars on. While this is being done though, I am driving around my 69 F100 with a 360. It is an absolutely beautiful truck and I have gotten many compliments on it. there is not even the slightest chance though that I will ever get rid of either of these trucks. So what I am wondering is why exactly is it that you guys dislike chevys. My family has owned many chevys and many fords and they have both been good vehicles but if I were to make a statement about which vehicle would last the longest and require less mantainance I would say that the chevys do. This would be strictly based on the experiences that my family has had with the two makes. I am not, however, in any way condemning fords because I know that real statistics about two makes of vehicles can not be based on the 10 to 20 vehicles that we have owned out of the millions produced. I know that when I finish my 350 It will by far out torque out horse and out run the 360. Once again I am not saying that the chevy is any better but from my experience I know that to push 350 horses out of a 350 is cheaper than pushing 350 horses out of a ford engine. And I find the quality of the 350 to be equal to that of the 360. So whats so bad about that? Maybe you guys aren't serious about the things you say about chevys but if you are I am not offended because I know it is all in good fun.
So why don't you like chevys?
Any type of response is very welcome
thanks
brad

Old 07-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
chevy and Ford

It appears there has been a lot of assuming going on !

Maybe the thought is not they don't like chevy's
Maybe the thought is they LIKE Fords More and they are on a FORD related WEB SITE?

Personally:
I drove a 69 C/10 with a 250 3spd std. for 5 years a company truck.

I don't like the trannys late 70's-80's
I don't like the ride. late 70's-80's
I don't care much for the interior in all of them.

Also, I LOVE OLD Vehicles.

[font color=red]Dennis

FTE Assistant Administrator
[/font]

[link: motorhaven.autoanything.com|How YOU Can Support This Site]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/canada_flag_animated.gif

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|Club FTE]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG
[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
64 1/2 Mustang Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
68-Mustang 289 2v-Sunlit Gold
[/font]

Old 07-26-2002, 11:14 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
chevy and Ford

It is the right of every American to attach himself to a particular brand of automobile. Legitimate reasons are not required. In many cases, a person edifying one brand and denouncing another may have experience with only one brand. If people didn't choose one or the other , what would there be to argue about. I don't believe that there is a significant difference between these vehicles, but will acknowledge a couple of facts below:

1. The Ford F-Series has been the best selling pick-up truck for a very long time.
2. The F-Series has been comparably priced or even slightly more expensive.

Therefore: If more people are willing to pay more money for a comparble F-Series than a Chevy; Ford must be doing something right.

Regarding the 350-

A great motor- I have a 2002 Camaro SS with an LS1 350 and I believe there are very few comparable motors in the history of automobiles. It Dyno'd at 307 RWHP last saturday, bone stock. It also get's about 28 MPG on the highway. There is no other motor offering that combination of performance and efficiency.

However- for slightly older vehicles. I think one can obtain similar bang for the buck between a chevy 350 and a Ford 351. I'll admit that a ford 360 would cost more to get the that kind of performance.

Old 07-27-2002, 02:11 AM
Scotty1
Senior User
chevy and Ford

I have only owned 1 CHEBY. It was a '91 s-10. It was agood truck I just couldn't afford it. I have also owned 1 Chrysler product. '84 Daytona turbo. Good car 'til I got a hold of it. No one told me it wasn't a Ferrari. LOL I have owned a bunch of fords. The biggest reason fo r this is that my Dad is a FORD Man. I have had a '74 f-100, currently a '71 F-100, an '82 ford F-150, a '87 ford F-150, and my first car A 1978 ford LTD. They were all graeat vehicles. I will never make a real attempt at owning another DODGE. That is the only car I hated. Always working on it. I like my old Ford trucks though. I would as soon fix up and drive my '71 Ford F-100 as drive a New 2003 F- 150. But that is me. The newer Cars & Trucks don't have any personality. They are the safest, best made, and efficient vehicles ever made, but they are all the same. In 1967 for instance a ford truck could have any # of engines alone. A I6, sbf V8, or BBfe V8, and different displacements in all catagories. Todays trucks come in 3 different displacements and that is it. No deversity = No character. Sorry for the ramble.

By the way FORDS RULE.

F= First
0= On
R= Race
D= Day

Scotty

Old 07-27-2002, 02:49 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
chevy and Ford

I have had bad luck with 2 chevys and good luck with one till an idiot driver hit me head on. The last GM-Import has been less than perfect.

My first chevy was a 61 with a 283 that I had for 6 months till the bottom end went out at 69,000 miles.

My second was a 57 pickup with a 327 and a top loader 4-spd. It was totaled by the idiot that spun out of control and hit me head on. It did clean the front off of his 68 chevy back to the firewall. That pickup was a runner!

My third was a brand new 82 Cavalier that failed at 72,000 due to a failure of GM to take one more turn on a tap on an exhaust manifold bolt. It also continually lost idle speed control motors at $120+ a pop due to a switch that failed repeatedly. The GM OEM radiator fan motor failed several times until I replaced it with a aftermarket unit that was wound properly.

I traded the 82 in while it was still "running" on a brand new 90 Isuzu Trooper that has always used a quart of oil every 700 miles because there is a problem with the rings on #4 that GM never would take care of. The Trooper is still in use and except for the oil burning it is a good, very capable, 4WD vehicle.

I have had reasonable luck with my Fords except for the body on my 85 van that rusted out at 6 months. It still runs great tho but is ugly as sin. The dealer changed hands and neither Ford or the dealer would take care of the body rust problem. It was traced to a problem in the paint shop with the raw steel body and a hot June weekend.

Fords generally have higher quality interior than like type GM vehicles. All you have to do is look at the average GM at 80,000 and compare to the average Ford of the same age/mileage. The older pre EPA Ford engines out lasted Chevy's. The average GM required a valve job at 70K, a Ford at 100K and a Mopar would go 130K. By the time a Mopar needed a valve job a GM had already blown up catastrophicly. The Ford's or Mopars would go to 200K+ before they needed new bearings. The newer engines have all improved with the exception of the front drive Mopars that have real strange problems.

This is just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2002, 08:02 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
chevy and Ford

This really belongs in the General Conversation forum. Moved.

Old 07-27-2002, 03:26 PM
66fairlane
New User
chevy and Ford

>Regarding the 350-
>
>A great motor- I have a 2002 Camaro SS with an LS1 350 and I
>believe there are very few comparable motors in the history
>of automobiles. It Dyno'd at 307 RWHP last saturday, bone
>stock. It also get's about 28 MPG on the highway. There is
>no other motor offering that combination of performance and
>efficiency.
>

Hi im new here, but i hate seeing this. The LS1 and the 350 are to different motors. the LS1 is not even 350 ci, its 348. Its like say the 351w and 351c are the same motor, but anyway, my dad has always been Ford trucks and Chevy cars, but he thinks that ford make a better product.

2002 Ranger Edge
1966 Fairlane GT 390 Toploader

Old 07-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
chevy and Ford

Same with me.

I like both brands. They have been treating me greatly. I am a fan of the Pontiac second generation Firebird / Trans AM. I'm looking at an '77 Trans AM tomorrow. Yee-Haw.

I own four GM branded vehicles (see the cars and trucks I've owned thread) and all of them proved to be very reliable. Same goes for Ford. I have never owned a MoPar product, so I can't say anything.

I simply don't like the chevy-bashing. In the recent events, there was an uproar of a user considering of putting a Chevy 350 engine in an 1978 F150. The replies were very childish and awful. Read https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/61_79/11803.html for the example.

Yes, this is a Ford website - let's keep that way. Patorizning other brands is petty.

Old 07-27-2002, 04:59 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
chevy and Ford

i hate to admit but z71's are one of my favorite trucks

Old 07-27-2002, 06:45 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

chevy and Ford

I just got done making a trip from Norfolk, VA to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. To help time pass we counted the makes of cars broken down on the highway (1400 miles) Here are the results; 26 were Chebbies, 5 were Chrysler products, 2 were Fords! There were around 10 Jap and other foreign models. I hope this answers your question.

Old 07-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chevy and Ford

[font color=blue]
I think most of you know me by now -

I'll rebuild dang near anything and I don't pull punches.

I have to laugh outright about all of the controversy over one make vice another, in approximately three months I'll be working on a 1936 CORD Beverly and I bet there is no site on the net about it.

If I can get my grubby little paws on it, I fully expect to be restoring an early Chrysler Hemi, and a 1960 Desoto.

The only times I participate in some of the "Slap Fests" I have seen here are because something tickled my sense of humour, and of course JAP CAR postings - I am categorically against the "BIC" lighter of automobiles.

But this is a FORD site.

I really have to wonder about people who purposely come to talk about Chevrolets....

Do they also go to Taco Bell expecting to be served PIZZA?

Do they go to the drive-up at McDonalds and ask for Sub Sandwiches?

I don't think so!

I wonder what would possess me to go to a chevy site and post questions about a Mercury Comet.....

DUH!!!

-And there it is, folks. Browse smart, and go where the most likely answers ARE.

Unless you just have a thing about disturbing the natives...

I think the "NATIVES" here are all of one mind.
[/font]

Old 07-28-2002, 12:58 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
chevy and Ford

It depends much less on the manufacturer, and much more on which individual actually builds the motor. I'd bet that a 4-banger in the hands of Jack Roush would be a heck of a lot faster in a car than any Big Block built by a novice. Of couse, this only applies to old cars, and I wouldn't advise the purchase of anything new. It all goes back to character, and my imbalanced hatred for Mod-Motors. TK

'77 F100, 302 (the aftermarket Prodigy), C4
Cadet Second Lieutenant John F. Daly III
South Carolina Corps of Cadets, The Citadel
The TorqueKing

Old 07-28-2002, 03:26 AM
Brncomtb
Senior User
chevy and Ford

This is how i see it:

I love ford trucks and thats why i came to this site. FORD TRUCK ENTUHSIATS. But when it comes to cool cars i am open minded. I love one of my best friends Z-28 camaro, that thing can move. and I also love another friends '94 5.0 mustang. I would love to get my hands on some old cars but i have no money right now, they would all be fords like an old '67-'69 fastbak mustang a '34 ford 3 window coupe and an old bronco but you know what i would also love to have an old camaro or an old chevelle SS cause frankly those things were cool. So when it comes to truck i just prefer fords cause i really don't like the look of the chevies and i really don't like the setup of their interiors i would choose a ford but i have no hatred to one company or another its just a prefrence. And i know several chevy guys who have told me that if they were gonna buy a tuck it would be a ford.

JON

PS i would never mix and match tough if i were to build a ford car i would use a ford engine, and the same thing for a chevy. Mix and mathcing that i just can't understand. Sorry for the long post its late and i am rambling.

Old 07-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
chevy and Ford

i really don't dislike chevy trucks. i've never owned or driven one. i just don't like the fact that 350s go into all kindsa old fords

Old 07-29-2002, 03:55 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chevy and Ford

>Do they also go to Taco Bell expecting to be served PIZZA?

Hey Graywolf, out here in California you can actually get a pizza at a Taco Bell. At least in my home town. They have some deal going with Rusty's Pizza Parlor. But you can't get a taco at Rusty's. Go figure.

As far as brand of automible goes, I just like Fords. I've owned a few Chevy cars in the past. A couple of 1966's and an 89 Monty Carlo. Just basic transportation but they all rattled somewhat. Never could figure out where it was comming from. Our family car is a Dodge mini van. This is our second one now. When my daughter and her husband came for a visit they rented a Ford Windstar mini van. We drove it and the next mini van I get is going to be the Ford. Not just because it's a Ford but because I was impressed with it's power, interior, lines and comfort. Next to the Ford, the Dodge is ok.

I don't have much experience with trucks. My first truck is the one I currently own. An older Ford truck, a 1975 and no rattles. I like the looks of the older Fords and enjoy tinkering with them. I thought about maybe a Chevy but then realized I wasn't getting enough oxygen.

Quick Reply: chevy and Ford