Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering linkage/tie rod end/ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 01:21 PM
rdcouch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I have a 1993 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 with worn out ball joints in the steering linkage. I am assuming that they are worn out because of the fact that I can freely move the steering linkage (from the pitman to the wheels) up and down (~1 inch or so) while lying under the parked truck. I am going to set out to replace the joints myself but before I do I have three questions I was hoping someone can answer for me.

The first is on how to identify whether or not a ball joint is actually worn out. There are 4 ball joints in the steering linkage on this truck, beginning from the pitman arm through to the wheels. Are there any characteristics of a worn out ball joint, in contrast to a healthy one? I'm assuming that not all 4 of the joints will be worn out on my truck at the same time, at least not to the same degree. I would guess that one or two will be worn out more than the others, resulting in the free play observed when I lift up and down on the steering linkage. Obviously it would be most economical for me to replace only those ball joints that are worn out. However, I am not sure how to identify a really worn out joint vs one with slight wear. Could someone offer me insight into this?

Then I got thinking, would it be best that I simply replace all 4 ball joints at the same time, regardless of their condition? I am reasoning that replacing all four ball joints at the same time would ensure that all components are sound and the new joints would not become prematurely worn due to a weak link in the chain, such as the slightly worn out ball joints. Any comments/suggestions?

My third question is on the identification of worn out tie rod ends. It seems to me that if the ball joint is worn out then it is likely the tie rod ends themselves will have become worn out also. Will it shorten the life of the new ball joints by putting them into the old tie rod ends? Is it common procedure to replace the tie rod ends when the ball joints are replaced? How can I tell if the ends are worn out or not?

Well there might be more than 3 questions listed above :> but I would appreciate any answers/insights/comments anyone can offer me. My Chilton manual just describes the removal and installation of the parts. Not a peep on how to identify wear etc.

Thanks in advance.

Robin.

Old 09-13-2000, 11:05 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Robin , What front axle is on your truck ? Dana 60 ? If thats the axle then it uses King Pins vs ball joints . If they are bad then steering is usually very difficult even with ps . Im also wondering what you are calling ball joints ? Ball joints are the joints the steering spindle turn on . The Pitman arm has a joint that attaches to the Drag Link , The Drag Link attaches to the Tie Rods . The joints on the pitman arm , drag link and tie rods should have grease fittings ? Its a good idea to grease these fittings 2 or 3 times a year . Are you having steering , handling problems ? If so , describe the problem here & maybe we can help you out before you dive into a lot of work that may not be needed .

Old 09-14-2000, 10:22 AM
maveric
Senior User

To check the ball joints, jack the front of the truck. Grab the bottom and the top of the tire, pushing the top and pulling the bottom back and forth, and see if the tire will move. If it does move a lot, then there are two things to check.
1)The wheel bearings may be loose.
2)The Ball-joints may be bad.

If you have to replace a ball joint, be sure to replace both on that side. If one is bad, the other isn't far behind. Most times the ball joints will be bad on one side, and fine on the other side.

To check the rod-ends, grab the tie rod, and try to move it up and down and back and forth. There should be a little play in it, but if it is excessive, it'll need replaced. Do the same for the drag link.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2000, 09:06 PM
rdcouch
New User

Thanks guys for the comments.

Paul, my truck has the Dana 60 front axle.

Using the names indicated in the diagram that is shown in the Chilton manual for the F350 4X4 steering linkage, this is the layout of my steering linkage:

The pitman arm is attached to the "drag link" via a "ball stud". The drag link itself looks to me to be similar to a tie rod end. That is, the drag link threads into the end of the steering linkage rod and is held in place by adjusting sleeve clamps. Note that this is a DIFFERENT setup than what the F150 has. The F150 has a drag link joined to the pitman arm via a ball stud and then the drag link attaches to BOTH the tie rod (running to the steering knuckle nearest the pitman arm) and a connecting rod (running to the steering knuckle furthest from the pitman arm). So, the F150 has 3
rods making up the steering linkage whereas the F350 only has 2. The F350 simply has a "steering linkage rod" (as it's called in the manual) connected to the pitman arm via the "drag link" (looks like tie rod end) and a "ball stud". The "steering linkage rod" on the F350 then runs from the pitman arm to the steering knuckle that is furthest away (ie the right side of the vehicle). At that end another "ball stud" is used to join the first "steering linkage rod" to the second "steering linkage rod" that is itself attached to the right steering knuckle and the left steering
knuckle (this rod is attached at each knuckle via a "ball stud").

The Chilton manual talks about "rubberized ball socket linkage" vs "nonrubberized ball socket linkage". I don't know the difference between
the two. When I look at the ball joints (aka "ball studs") on my truck all I see is a grease nipple on the bottom of the ball stud, a rubber boot,
and a shaft+nut holding things together! By the way, I have been greasing these ball studs on a semi-regular basis, generally when doing other routine maintanance work.

Paul, I have not noticed any major steering problems, such as drifting or failing to turn. I have noticed an occasional clunk when doing tight
turns. In fact, it was that clunking sound that got me to look at the steering linkage in the first place. That's when I noticed the excessive
movement when I lifted the steering linkage rod up and down.

Maveric, I will try rocking the wheel back and forth to see what happens. I know the bearings are good since I have recently replaced them (~1 month ago). I am certain that there should not be so much free play in the steering linkage. I am just not clear on the things I initially posted above.

Any other input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Robin.

Old 09-14-2000, 10:54 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

The clunking noise you occasionally hear may be the front axle shaft U joints ? Were the hubs locked or were you in 4x4 at the time of the noise ? Unless the front wheels are allowed to slip a little in a sharp turn the front axle u joints will bind a little & a clunking noise will be heard . Its normal . As long as you keep the steering components greased they will last a long time .

Old 09-15-2000, 10:35 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster