Sponsored by:

Topless benefits

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
FBB93
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Topless benefits

I have a new bronco and I wanna take the top off. My dad thinks its a bad idea. I need to know some of the advantages. Is there anything that you think would help persuade him?

Old 10-28-2003, 08:15 PM
mrit
Senior User
There is nothing bad about taking the roof off a bronco besides 2 problems that I can think of.
1. People can get access to the stuff in your truck.
2. Rain

Besides that there arnt any problems that I can think of.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:59 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What are Dad's reservations about removing the top?

As mrit mentioned, it does leave the interior open to would-be theives and vandals but then thats true of any such vehicle... Jeep, Amigo, convertible (yes convertible because even with the top up your stuff is just a slice away). I don't leave anything worth stealing in mine when the top is off anyway. Stereo has a removable coded face. I also have my own designed kill system.

Weather? Keep a tarp in the truck and a handful of bungees. Problem solved....unless you are driving and happen upon a thunderstorm...done that myself.

I assume by your name that you have a '93. Keep in mind that two of your rear passengers will no longer have seat belts with the top removed. I never let more than two other people ride with me when the top is completely removed. Again, problem solved.

I am still curious to hear exactly what it is that he doesn't think is so good about taking the top off.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:04 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's the old "it will leak when put back on" argument, it won't.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 PM
96bronco58
Senior User
The only down sides have already been mentioned. I love mine withe the top off. Summer time top off and beach women jump right in. I have an eclipse stereo that wont even tell you time of day unless you have the right cd (which I keep at home) to unlock it. Ten wrong cd's and its got to be sent to factory to reset it so if its stolen its worthless. So the theft thing isnt a problem for me. Ive had loose change and junk taken but they left the stereo, so they must know. And if your worried about the whole truck, just take the fp relay or fuse out.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:22 PM
FBB93
Junior User
I dont know what his problem is. He just says i cant. I think it might be a safety thing. But i dont think it would be much less safe than it is now. But I may be wrong.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 AM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Hey, 96bronco58 Where did you get your eclipse stereo, I searched the web and I can't find anybody who carrys them, not even crutchfeild.
Thanks.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 AM
broncobillybob
Posting Guru
have a custom roll cage fabbed up. there is one in the gallery i believe. i like the set up on it, the rear passenger shoulder belts are connected to the cage. the bars extend behind the rear seat. that way safety isn't an issue. also, passengers or not- u have the added feature and looks of a roll cage.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:10 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If he claims its a safety thing then why on earth did Ford design the top to be removed if its any less safe without it?

Do a search for threads by Strauntonbronco or threads about the top. Straunton ROLLED his 93 without the top on it while towing a camping trailer. Both he and his g/f walked away from the wreck. His g/f had a scrape on her ankle. If the thread still exists he posted pics of the wrecked Bronco. We all marvelled at it but it comes down to the simple fact that these trucks are really well built. Hard to argue with those pics and the facts of the event when dealing with the inherent safety of the vehicle with or without the top.

P.S. He says you can't. Its always easier to seek forgiveness than permission! Don't listen to me..I'm just a troublemaker anyway

Old 10-29-2003, 01:42 AM
BroncoBuddy
Freshman User
Wouldnt say theres no problems, mine hasnt ever stopped squeeking since I had it off.
my 86 has all lap belts so rear passengers are always buckled up
Also I wonder if running without top contributed to the cracks on the top corner by the rear section of the rain gutter

Old 10-29-2003, 02:32 AM
coolcasper
Junior User
Casper's top has been off more times than I can count - still no squeaks, still no leaks! And it really rains in BC! As for making the rain gutters worse, I doubt it - it's a stress point no matter if the top is off or on.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:12 AM
FBB93
Junior User
I found the thread with Strauntonbronco's pics, but i couldn't see them. And I've thought about taking it off while he's out of town soon. I've already bought the tools. But its getting kinda cold, so it won't stay off for too long. How much would a roll cage cost? I've been looking to either buy the parts and make one in my friends shop, or buy one complete. I already have the removable stereo and all of that, so I hope I'll be able to talk him into it. Also, he wont let me lift it or do any thing like that, either. I've offered to pay for all of it, but he says that since the car is under his name, I cant do anything to it. Even though Im paying half of it.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
96bronco58
Senior User
Originally posted by BroncoRoadKill
Hey, 96bronco58 Where did you get your eclipse stereo, I searched the web and I can't find anybody who carrys them, not even crutchfeild.
Thanks.

BroncoRoadKill go to this site http://www.eclipse-web.com/ this is the site for eclipse it has info on their products. You may be able to find a dealer or get a catalog from them. The only place I have found them is at a local car audio store. They are a little pricey but I consider them well worth it as I have found them to have great quality, features and warranty. I have owned two of their recievers and had no problems, the second one survived a 50 mph collision in my T-bird and worked perfecly when I put it in my bronco.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:25 PM
frogger01
Senior User
To just re-itterate some points and add my own.

1. the top will not leak unles you tweak something on the body while it's off (like twisting the crud out of it going 4x4ing) The only other way it could leak is if you dont care for the top wile it's off. put a coat of vasolene on the seals while it is off and before putting it on wipe it off then add another thin coat. this will help prevent the top from squeaking.

2. remove anything you really care about out of the truck.

3. the locks on the glove compartment and console are practly worthless the only thing they may keep out is a 5 year old girl or an amaciated crackhead.

4. If you have an alarm on your truck either install or have a radar sensor installed to the system. this will detect people attempting to reach inside or enter your truck though the back. Keep in mind cats like to jump into the back of open vehicles so if you have one of these I also recomend getting an ultrasonic pest repellant device.

5. Dont go 4x4ing with the top off unless you have a full cage. I have a nice sized crack on my 93 (aprox 2" long) due to this lesson.

6. If you still want to have people in the back seat either get one from a 80-91 bronco or get the seatbelts from those youers of bronco. two of the holes are there and threaded you will need nuts and bolts for the side lapbelts.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:23 PM
New User
The only bad thing that can happen with the top off is that you'll be having way more fun than Dad! I am a chick AND a terrible driver, and nothing bad happened when I had the top off. Of course, my Bronco was stolen last month with the top ON and the doors locked. But that's a story for another day.

If you're in SoCal by any chance email me for rollcage info.

If all else fails, rent American Pie 2 and show Dad the scene with the '86, sans top.

Quick Reply: Topless benefits