2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive vs Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
easttxguy37
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long can one drive it like that? is it bad on the motor or tranny????

Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
If you have a big enough engine - or a small enough load, YOU CAN USE OVERDRIVE!!! (That is if it's working) Read your Owner's Manual). If you are towing, in overdrive, if it works okay, fine, use it. If the tranny is shifting back and forth into and out of, overdrive, lock overdrive out! This will usually happen in hilly areas. Even with my 6.0 liter Super Duty, I turn off Tow/Haul on the flats. Turn Tow/Haul back on when in town or in hilly areas.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by irishammer
Of course you don't start in OD.... If you have OD selected is what I meant.
Wouldn't matter.
If you start out in OD when towing excessive heat is generated.
Utterly false.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
irishammer
Senior User
I guess Monsta is a smart fella so he must be right. If the tranny ever fails he would probably cover ya. The couple bucks you save on gas in OD will not dent the price of a new tranny....Read your manual or talk to a tranny shop. They will know whats best. Just my .02.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
place the truck in Drive (4th gear available) for everyday driving.

to be safest when you're towing, place the truck in Drive and push the O/D button to turn off 4th gear.

You can tow with 4th gear, but only on FLAT ground. You'll spend alot of time downshifting to 3rd if the ground is hilly and eventually something will break.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

I guess Monsta is a smart fella so he must be right. If the tranny ever fails he would probably cover ya. The couple bucks you save on gas in OD will not dent the price of a new tranny....Read your manual or talk to a tranny shop. They will know whats best. Just my .02.
I'm not a smart fella but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You tell others to read their manual but obviously you haven't.

Please "prove" your statement.

Last edited by Monsta; 05-23-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Silence.

As I suspected.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It all depends on the load you are towing. If when in OD and your transmission starts searching, do not use overdrive. If you can maintain the tow and speed without the truck down shifting all the time then being in OD is not a problem.
Heat build up is the enemy of a transmission, transmissions that shift all the time build up heat.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Monsta
excessive heat is generated when your transmission is constantly hunting for a gear...take it out of O/D and this pretty much stops. towing in O/D will not cause any more heat build-up than towing in 3rd gear.

Like I said, tow in O/D only when you're on flat ground. the second you start getting hills or MPH changes, you need to lock out 4th gear

was the hotel priced well?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Now, of course, that's what I've telling folks for years. And pretty much what I've already said in this thread. It should be noted that in OD the TC is locked and a tranny with a locked TC is a cooler tranny. Your statement that running in third won't build anymore heat than in OD is not exactly correct. that may be the case ASSUMING when in 3rd, the TC is locked. You can run in third with the TC unlocked thereby creating more heat.

A driver doesn't need to lock out OD at the slightest hill or loss of speed. The transmission's logic will take care of shifts. It is the EXCESSIVE shifting and hunting that needs to be avoided. Most of the time a driver can simply leave the thing alone and let the tranny do the thinking. I can pull my 6500lb loaded horse trailer up a grade in OD. Your advice would have me lock it out. My TC is locked, there is no excessive hunting and my tranny stays cooler.

Your post does not "answer" my question intended for irishammer and doesn't pertain to the statement he made that said, " If you start out in OD when towing, excessive heat is generated".

That statement is false and understanding how a transmission works and how OD works actually makes that sentence make no sense at all.

The original poster requested how to use OD & drive in everyday use. My advice, leave the button alone. Although locking out OD on steep grades is a nice way to save your brake linings.

Last edited by Monsta; 05-24-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Monsta
Your post does not "answer" my question intended for irishammer and doesn't pertain to the statement he made that said, " If you start out in OD when towing, excessive heat is generated".
ahhh...I thought you had made that comment. sorry. I thouht I was addressing it, but guess not.

your right though...how does that cause more heat?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:13 PM
irishammer
Senior User
You have a V-10 Excursion...this is an F-150 forum...they have 5.4 V8...compare apples to apples! What ever you want to do is your deal. I have never claimed to be an expert....apparently you are. A tranny shop told my cousin to not use OD..I will set them straight tomorrow. Monsta can I give them your number in case they get stuck with anything? I am sure they would appreciate your expert knowledge. I gave my .02 worth and and thats where I will leave it.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Steve91
Senior User
Monsta, don't waste your time. I don't think he understands how these transmissions work, or how they are controlled. I will continue to tow my 7,000 pound loaded trailer with my properly equipped truck in overdrive whenever possible. I don't care what East Podunk Transmissions says about it. When I run into road conditions where the transmission is hunting, and those times are rare, I will push the button and lock out overdrive. But I'll push it again, as soon as I can. Locked torque converter = reduced heat.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
edgl
Elder User
I just use O/D until I haul a heavy load, then I use the tow/haul mode. I have an 06 F350 SD dually.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

You have a V-10 Excursion...this is an F-150 forum...they have 5.4 V8...compare apples to apples!
I thought we were talking about transmissions!?! Take a peek in my gallery to see if you think I qualify to participate in this thread.

A tranny shop told my cousin to not use OD
What are you dude, like in 9th grade or something?!?

Damn edgl! Dude said to stay apples to apples! Not apples to watermelons!

Last edited by Monsta; 05-24-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Overdrive vs Drive