Why Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 11:40 AM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Bronco?

Hey All,
So a couple of my friends are thinking of getting rigs. They have limited their search down to either a Jimmy, Blazer or a Bronco. I have been trying to get them to get a Bronco cause I allready have knowledge in the Ford field and personally love the Bronco. My problem is I need to convince them to get a Bronco and not a Jimmy or Blazer. Why did you get a Bronco? Why didn't you get a Jimmy/Blazer? What do you think is sooo great about Broncos? What is bad about a Jimmy/Blazer? I am hoping of some good posts on "Why Bronco" so I can get them to go Ford!

Help Guys!

Ryan

Old 10-25-2003, 01:29 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru
Because there
nuff said!!

Old 10-25-2003, 02:12 PM
89BroncoResto
Junior User
I agree with DW...

Bowties are for little boys...

That's enough to convince me!

Old 10-25-2003, 02:47 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Besides DWs pic?

They have more style than the GM versions, at least thats my opinion.
And with the top off, broncos don't look like a pickup truck, I'm refering to the olmost fastback style of the B-piller.
good luck bro.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:40 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
How about they dont make broncos anymore. GM still makes scaled down versions of the Jimmy and blazer. The old ones will always depreciate. The bronco will appreciate alot sooner than the GM versions. Besides that, they RULE!!!!! (errrr uhem...sorry...got carried away.)

Old 10-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Bronco_89
Freshman User
Broncos were always tough 4WDs. Never made no sissy 2wd version like the General did.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:03 PM
johnb268
Freshman User
when i went looking for a truck my intentions were to buy either a jimmy or blazer my buddy was a chebby guy he had a few 2 jimmy's on 35's and a 78 pickup k1500 i think on 44's this truck was bad so with that in mind i started looking for a gm brand truck on the 3rd day i saw a 1980 bronco xlt on 36's. i'm happy to tell all that this bronco and only this bronco has turned me into a ford man. i'm on my second bronco a 93 eddie bauer i've owned for a year this time around i bought it stock and lifted it with a rancho 4" with extended arms the front was higher then the rear by 3/4" so today i added 2" blocks to the rear looks alot better i will be adding 1" spacer's in the front within the next week or so.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
mrit
Senior User
Bronco's are all around wonderful vehicles. They look great with the roof on and even better off. The jimmy/blazer just dont have the good looks.

They have good drivetrains, and very nice and comfortable interiors.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:56 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Well, about a year ago I began looking for a reliable off-road rig that I could also use as a daily driver. A few vehicles that I had in mind to purchase were, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Ford F-250, and Ford Bronco.

Here is my takes on all these vehicles:

Wrangler: Good for very tight trails, lacks in power, doesn't feel very safe due to it's small size.

Cherokee: Due to it's medium size it does pretty good on tight trails, Also lacks in power, Hard to find it in manual hubs.

F-250: Way too BIG to take on any trails, Feels very safe due to it;s big size, Lots of power due to a 5.8L engine, Solid front axle already in place.

BRONCO: Short wheel base gives it AWESOME approach and departure angles, Huge 351W engine gives plenty of power, Lot of room for suspension upgrades, Tough looking exterior, Removeable top good for hot summer days, Value of these trucks increase with age!!

Of course I decided to o with The BRONCO. The only problem I have with it is it has turned into a never ending project. I have pver $20,000 dollars invested in it. I;m dropping in another 10,000 next month. I hope some of this will help you to convince your friends to get a Bronco.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Kikwear
Senior User
Looks got me more than anything.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:45 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about this. A 31 year production run based on the best built full sized trucks on the road during that time. They ALL have removable tops. ALL are 4WD. Power plants ranging from 158 I-6 (300 I-6 if you are just talking the big Bronco) up to 400M depending on the vintage you are shopping for. Some of the toughest drive train components available from a stock vehicle (Jeep owners swap D44 and Ford 9" front and rear axles into their vehicles because they KNOW these components are stronger and last longer). The tops don't leak after you have removed and reinstalled them like the K-5 Blazers do. These are the factual differences.

1980 and up have independent front suspension which, in spite of the arguements, severly improves the ride of the Bronco over its GM and Dodge counterparts (K5 Blazer/Ramcharger).

On a subjective note; the Bronco has a better overall asthetic appearace with and WITHOUT the top in place. (K5's just look like stubby lil' pick-up trucks with the top removed). I have owned 7 GM's, 3 Jeeps, and 2 Fords. The two Fords have been, hands down, the best running, most reliable, and most "forgiving" to drive of ANY of them. Both are Bronco's. Greystreak was a 1992 XLT and her successor is a 1993 XLT. There is something to be said as well, for the history of a vehicle that NEVER lost sight of its original design purpose throughout the production run. Its started out a very capable 4x4 intended to get the owner off the beaten path. 31 years later, though many modern amenities had been added, under it all the Bronco was still very capable and reliable beyond the pavement. The Blazer can't make this claim. (It has become a "soccer mom" vehicle). The Ramcharger didn't live to see the end of the Bronco lifespan. All in all the Bronco still holds it own in value and quality even seven years after the last unit left assembly plant.

Last edited by greystreak92; 10-26-2003 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 PM
adamk1974
Senior User
Thumbs up

I think that I have the best reasons yet. The Bronco has larger and stronger running gear. The ford 9" and 8.8 are stronger by a lot than the chevy 8.5" because #1 the ring gear is obviously bigger and the axles are also bigger 31 spline instead of 28. They will also safely handle a 35-37" tire. GM 8.5 will only handle a 33" tire. says four wheeler magazines latest article and axle spotters guide in Offroad Adventures magazine. Plus the ttb front end is the strongest half ton front end. Thanks to its reverse rotation gears and no notoriously weak CV shafts. The front ttb is also said to be the strongest half ton IFS front end to date also Via latest Four Wheeler magazine I believe november good used four wheel drives to purchase section. Also the Auto- transmission is the same size as the one in the 1 tons. C-6 and E4OD, The transfer case is also the same size as in the 1 tons Borge-Warner 1356 very stout.

ALL IN ALL THE FORD IS FLAT OUT BUILT STRONGER TO LAST LONGER. All of these statements are factual look them up for yourself.

Last edited by adamk1974; 10-26-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:29 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
Note for Greystreak92:
Not to hijack the thread but I would like some elaboration on the above post.
You say the top doesn't leak after removal and replacement? This amazes me. My top leaks and it's never been removed. (right at the front bottom where the rain channels are; water drips into the rear cupholders and down into the speakers.) Is this common on a 96?
Also in re to ALL Broncos having removable tops. True, but the 96 has the rear seatbelts anchored to the roof and the rear light wired on it, so I was told it was not recommended to remove my removable top. (!!??)
Granted if one is looking for a mudder or fun-truck this stuff is irrelevant. I was just afraid to take the top off for the above reasons.
As far as why Bronco? For me, looks, maneuverability, quality. "Bruce" has a tighter turn ratio than any of our vehicles and it still amazes me. Plus they look great with big tires.

Old 10-27-2003, 02:29 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2Bowers,

Your 96 is a rarety. Ask the guys here. If you manage to have a Bronco top leak, you have a ruined or dry rotted gasket somewhere. OR your leak is not the top but the cracks in the steel just behind the rain gutters.

And actually the rear seat shoulder harness belts first appeared in 1992 along with the federally mandated high mount stop lamp. As for not removing it because its not recommended, well, yeah and its not recommended that you increase tire size, add aftermarket suspension lift components, install high performance engine modifying equipment, etc, etc. Ford even went to the trouble of putting those silly T-40 tamper-proof Torx screws in the top and removing the instructions from the owners manual in '92 to help "discourage" its removal. Never stopped me (or many of the others here who know the thrill of going topless). It was designed to come off and I'll be damned if its not coming off because someone thinks it shouldn't and can't give me anything other than that as a reason. If you want a technicality the high-mount stop lamp shouldn't really be removed however, I have yet to have any of the local constabulary be bored enough to pull me over on a warm summer evening and ask what year my truck is just so they can slap me with a citation for not having a third brakelight. Again, the removable top is one of the greatest "head-turning" options that give the Bronco an edge over its counterparts. Go topless, it will look shorter, but you will get more looks from people trying to figure out how you tricked out the roof like that. When in truth its a factory feature!

Old 10-27-2003, 09:04 AM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
Thanks for elaborating. I went out to check and there was debris that had settled in the rain channels. I cleaned it out, maybe that will help. I did notice some fine cracks too right behind the gutters.
I agree 100% that the Broncos look great topless no matter what year. You're right there are many things we do that are not recommended but that's what makes it fun!
If someone wants a good looking reliable truck that can take a beating the Bronco is it. I love mine and even as a former Chvy lover I will recommend the Bronc to anyone who asks.
In fact, buy two. When your wife or G/F falls in love with it you will need one for her too.

Quick Reply: Why Bronco?