1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pro's and Con's of the Volare IFS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
rgoverus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F100 Volare Suspension

I just finished installing a 1982 Chrysler New Yorker front end under my 53 F100. I removed front end sheet metal, took truck to local shop, they removed old axle and installed new front end, and moved steering column up in cab floor. Also removed and replaced engine, made new motor mounts for it. Cost $1300. Next to other shop, had entire front end rebuilt, all new best NAPA, etc parts: ball joints, tie rod ends and couplers, drag link, idler arm, all control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, rebuilt steering gear, rebuilt brake calipers and new pads, new wheel bearings and wheel studs, cost with labor about $2000. Installed brake lines and finished myself, put all front sheet metal back on, etc.
Front end cost $150 at salvage yard, so total cost about $3300 to have it all done new and professionally. I like way I can adjust ride height of truck, handles and drives great.
Other info: Engine is 302 Ford, using shorty Hedman headers, the exhaust clears steering gear good, headers go up and to rear, exit by bell housing. I can see with big blocks, problems may arise with steering gear clearance, I know of two local trucks with the engine mounted off to right side 1 to 2 inches to gain steering clearance. I used the front sump Ford small block oil pan, rear sump truck style would be real tight against tie rod linkage. I did avoid steering gear problems with headers, but, oil filter clearance with steering gear an issue, so I used a Trans Dapt remote filter kit. Somebody out there is making a rack and pinion set up for the Volare/ MoPar front ends, that might help get away from steering box-header-etc clearance issues. I'm using the stock Ford ( 86 TBird)steering pump, seems to work okay. For the pressure hose from pump to steering gear, I bought a Chrysler hose to fit the gear and a Ford hose to fit the pump, chopped the unused ends off and had hoses spliced together, all at local NAPA. Truck originally had a Mustang II front end, had original Mustang parts with some after market weld in crossmember, the way I bought it. Sat very low in front, I guess it looked cool but hard to get around with. So, I installed a set of No Limit hd springs for the big block application, the heaviest springs I could find. Raised the truck nicely, BUT, incredibly rough riding, when dropping truck off jack stands, springs didn't compress at all. Next step was springs from Total Cost involved, slightly softer riding, but back down low again. Also, whomever installed the Mustang II front did not have wheels centered in fender openings, were sitting back 2 inches, looked funny. With MoPar front truck sits nice height and wheels are centered now. Yeah, I know, $3300 is a lot for the MoPar front end, could have had one of the custom Heidts or other front ends for that much. Before I were to put in one of the custom front ends, I'd check into the ride height., You know, if one was more ambitious than I am, a lot of the cost could have been saved by doing it your self. Thanks. JR

Last edited by rgoverus; 02-23-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM
airwick51
Senior User
I put in the Dodge Aspen front a couple of years ago and really like the way the truck rides! I have a 351W with shorty Mustang headers and an FMX automatic and have enough clearence to the PS unit so it won't overheat..
I am changing the 351 W to a 1955 331 blown Hemi with the mopar 4 speed manual and I have to get rid of the PS unit. I bought a manual steering box and had it overhauled with the 20:1 worm gear.
I should have enough room to fit in the hemi now.Keep you all posted.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't think anyone was doing these anymore with all the Mustang II aftermarket stuff out there. I have an old Chrysler T-bar install and really like it. Truck rides and handles great and my MOPAR small block fits like a glove.

Airwick, I'd love to see pics of the hemi in your truck....

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
airwick51
Senior User
What gearbox are you using? If you have the a833 4 speed then what tail do you have -the short tail or the long tail and which gearshift posistion do you use-front or rear- if long tail. I haven't got my hemi restored yet, but hope to get it in this summer.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
I didn't think anyone was doing these anymore with all the Mustang II aftermarket stuff out there. I have an old Chrysler T-bar install and really like it. Truck rides and handles great and my MOPAR small block fits like a glove.

Airwick, I'd love to see pics of the hemi in your truck....
For the most part nobody really is. This thread is ten years old. The past few years certain bushings were getting tough to come by, but that is no longer the case. I just bought a pair of the T-Bar pivot bushings in poly last week. It's a real good trouble free IFS for a cruiser truck, but I would no longer recommend a new install.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM
airwick51
Senior User
hi Fatfenders
long time since I've heard from you. I might have problems here in Norway getting my Aspen front approved ( because of chopping the frame to get it in right) Which suspention would you recommend for a heavy, big blown 331 hemi without cutting the frame?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by airwick51
hi Fatfenders
long time since I've heard from you. I might have problems here in Norway getting my Aspen front approved ( because of chopping the frame to get it in right) Which suspention would you recommend for a heavy, big blown 331 hemi without cutting the frame?
Hello Erik, It would seem to be prudent to ask the authorities what they will approve before you do it. You might point out the Volare has been used with countless 460 Fords, 440 Mopars and other very heavy engines without any issues for decades. The Volare is just as strong as any MII but I bet the MII would be easier to approve. Most any V8 is heavy, it is not an issue with any IFS in my opinion. To answer your question, the No Limit Engineering Wide Ride is probably my favorite IFS.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
wow fenders..... you come back ten years later and your post is still active...

and hi Erik... been a long time

john

Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 AM
airwick51
Senior User
Hi John
I'm using your articles and other articles found on the Forum to convince the authorities over here that the Volare/Aspen conversion is both safe and sound.(in addition to your other articles about hanging pedals,bench seats ,mm)
I've had to change the PS to manual, but the guys from Firm Feel rebuilt a manual steering box with the 20:1 worm gear so i'll get more direct steering than the original 24:1 (I'm also going to the gym and working out to compensate for loss of PS) Been driving my truck the last past 4 years with the Aspen front and am very satified with it

Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeh Niolin, 'fenders is like a fine bottle of wine. His cork may be a little crumbly, his label may be askew, and his bouquet may be little oaky, but he just gets more valuable over the years!

Seriously though, Dewayne I think you are right. Some of the new members probably have never heard about the mopar setups that many of us trust and love. Mustang II seems to be the choice these days. You gotta love the ability to adjust your ride height until you get it just right. Jag

Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Yeh Niolin, 'fenders is like a fine bottle of wine. His cork may be a little crumbly, his label may be askew, and his bouquet may be little oaky, but he just gets more valuable over the years!

Seriously though, Dewayne I think you are right. Some of the new members probably have never heard about the mopar setups that many of us trust and love. Mustang II seems to be the choice these days. You gotta love the ability to adjust your ride height until you get it just right. Jag
Yup John, scrapin low or Monsta truck with a twist of the 15/16 socket.

And who you callin' Lil Oakey?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe have a look at the Lexus ifs i have in both my 56 panel and my friend Billys 51 Thames. Modern geometry and easy to fit without cutting anything. Look in my albums. Just my 2c. John