How much does a smog pump elminate CO values

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:27 PM
aunchman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have found my problem of why I am blowing so much CO out the tail pipe. I was just reading were the smog pump pumping into the convertor creates a chemical reaction and turns CO into CO2 what I am wondering is how well does this work?? Will this lower my values of CO coming out of the tailpipe alot?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-19-2003, 08:46 AM
broncr
Elder User

hey, Chris...

Well, it's a theory that's been put to the test on millions of vehicles. 'sounds like you've been doing your homework. Yes, a smog pump and converter will clean up your exhaust significantly. I found the part about the location of the air inlet (into the cat) interesting. Seems you can get a lot better results if you pump the air into the cat rather than at the base of the exhaust manifold like on my old stock setup. I think I read about it in the Project MPG article that was floating around here last Spring.

My emmissions report says "High CO readings occur when air fuel mixtures is too rich. High NOx ... high combustion temps and/or ...pressures"

Old 09-19-2003, 09:13 AM
aunchman
Senior User

Hey,
Its good to hear from ou agian!!! Yes I have been reading alot trying to get by this emissions stuff, i decided I want to get by it legally lol. So how is you six running? Believe it or not I am getting rid of my headers and going back to the stock manifold. It will be a nice and easy install cause it bolts directly up to the Offenhauser manifold I just purchased!!!! So I figure that is cool. Oh I am also thinking about going with a Holley 390, and also in going with the stock manifold I will be able to use that O2 fitting to my advantage and install a gauge to read the fuel mixture. I'll talk to you later. the new manifold is DP is it should be interesting how it flows.
Later
Chris

Old 09-21-2003, 09:46 PM
broncr
Elder User

The old mule is running pretty good. This Winter's projects will include (I Hope) an RV cam and roller rockers. Then, if it snows a lot, maybe some big valve head work.

Maybe by then someone will have a (simple-?) low boost turbo setup working - and be willing to share their technique.

Then there's the paint job - I almost hate to dress it up too much, someone might want to "borrow" it. Right now it's too ugly, but it always starts up and GOES!!!

And a five speed...

I pulled the wheels off the parts Bronco - and to my surprise, the "rust" on those chrome wheels wiped off - it was just brake dust gunk. So now I have three sets of wheels and tires (I have a set of studded mud and snows mounted up so I can change over easily). What'll it be today, white (road), black(studs) or chrome (also roadys)?