Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

spongy brakes/brakes hanging on

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy spongy brakes/brakes hanging on

'94 f-350 turbo idi brake pedal spongy, replaced wheel cylinders emergency brake cables drums shoes springs replaced mastercylinder booster vacuum pump and speed control valve in m/c and anticlock valve on the frame and don't really know how much in brake fluid in bleeding manually. i have a appt to power bleed system asaic! i still have a spongy pedal that sinks to the floor and after application it feels like the rear brakes are hanging on. help what's next

Old 09-16-2003, 02:27 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Did someone add ATF or motor oil to your brake system?

Old 09-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User

that's big negative! i am the sole monkey on this one. i flushed enough fluid thru the system and i think replaced enough parts to rule out contamination. thanks for responding so quick i am new and i thought it would be weeks before anyone would reply

Last edited by Blaine Schulte; 09-16-2003 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:11 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

Welcome to FTE, people are here 24/7 but I can't guarantee any quick responses.

The problem with oil based contaminants is that they destroy all of the rubber parts and seals. Some of your symptoms are similar to those cases so I thought I would ask. It only takes a few drops to contaminate an entire brake system.

This forum does not have as many people posting as the regular truck forums for your year. You may want to check the 87-96 forum for more help. You could also do some searches there for general brake problem information that may aid in the diagnosis and understanding of your brake system.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:51 PM
xcopterdoc
Senior User

The sinking brake pedal problem is more than likely caused by the brake booster. Ford has a "new" improved version that will fix the problem. I have been thru this one on 3 occasions. On 2 of them the problem was the RABS valve, on the 3rd one I pulled my hair out for a couple weeks. Replaced the booster with the new Ford one, and all is well. I'll try and dig up the ford PN if you need it.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:20 PM
fordstergk
New User

Dads got the same problem.His backup work truck.Rebuilt wheel cylinders,new brakes all around,rebuilt calipers this wekend,rebuilt booster,and brand new master cylinder.Pedal drops on down.Bled the abs valve ,4 tires,and the master.This new booster,is it the answer?I am 41 and never seen a bad one.Also bought the booster rebuilt ,are they as unreliable as the rebuilt masters?Is there a bleeder on the booster?Please help,Burnin money and daylight.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:27 PM
fordstergk
New User

Sorry,duh.I have a 93 f350 diesel pre-power stroke.Good truck till now

Old 09-17-2003, 04:22 AM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User

thanks guys for the info looking forward to the end of this nightmare on ford street! the only part of my question that noone has addressed is the feeling that after brakes have been applied they feel like they are still holding on! any comments on this part

Old 09-17-2003, 04:40 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

That problem is why I asked the question I did. Swollen pistons can cause that problem. Another thing that can cause that problem is a bad liner in a brake hose acting like a one way valve. Have you checked to see if only one rear wheel is hanging up? Do you have two brake lines to the rear or just one?

Old 09-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User

i will check it out and get back with you thanks

Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 AM
fordstergk
New User

Blaine,Your problem sounds like mine but,no,I dont have the hanging problem.The pads and shoes release when the pedal is released.I did have a problem with the emergency brake and found that the rear brakes were not adjusted all the way out .Sorry.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User
Question spongy brakes/brakes hanging on

i need that number if you got it. this problem has really got me in bind i need this truck to go work i am self employed with my own business and running my backup truck now that needs a motor

Old 09-17-2003, 10:44 PM
fordstergk
New User

I called ford today to ask about the price on the so called newer booster.They didnt actually say it was improved only that it was the only one they carried.Cost is 173 and availasble in dallas.I can look up the part # tomorrow (it is 10 30 pm here now) and ask the oether poster if he has a different pn.signing on tomorrow

Old 09-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Blaine Schulte
Freshman User

thanks i will be a watching

Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM
fordstergk
New User

Blaine,The part # is f5tz2005ca quoted at 150.00.Of course yesterday it was quoted by another guy(same dealership) at 173.10.I had them both look up a 93 f350 single rw,with cruise ,7.3 diesel, I would like for both of us to here from the person that was talking about the new "improved" version to see if this is a ford product or aftermarket so we dont go buy the same darn part.I have not replaced the abs valve as you have and unless I hear from him I may opt to go with the abs.My light (ABS)flickers and will stay lit until the pedal starts falling.It never disappears completely and I dont know if yours does the same.I am suspicious that our problems although similar are different because you have the hanging problem.We are still in the same boat(brakes dont work and hollering whoa isnt working either).I'll keep in contact and want to know how it turns out.I would also like to find out if the abs valve has a rebuild kit.I will check it out.Thanks

Quick Reply: spongy brakes/brakes hanging on