Sponsored by: Moser

Exhaust Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Racerdave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Question.

I have a question on what to buy for my 77 F-100 SWB, as it sits I have stock manifolds, and 4' going into a cherry bomb and then 2' sticking out right in front of my passenger side rear tire. I want dual coming out the rear, and I want somthing that sounds GREAT, I was thinking of goign with Flowmaster or is there somthing out there that will give me a better sound? Also I want an exhaust system that I can keep when I get headers, So... Any ideas?

Old 09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
macguyver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Question.

Hey, Dave, I've been wondering where you've been! As far as what will fit... It will depend on what you have for room under there. If you have the side tank, you're pretty much limited to running both mufflers down the passenger side. It can be done. I've built quite a few systems that way. The tailpipes can go over the rear axle and then split to the sides or straight out the back on either side. If you have room on both sides you have more options. Which ever way you go, it'll be custom work and a muffler shop will be your best bet. Just tell them where you want them. Unless you're very good with a welder and have a lot of patience. To convert to headers later, the only thing that should have to be changed will be the pipes ahead of the mufflers. You could even have pipes made to connect from the headers to the pipes you just put in. To try to figure out exactly where the pipes will run with headers will be tough until you get the headers. Different headers will exit in different places. Fenderwell dumps are also an option but will make it tougher to get the tailpipes behind the rear axle.
A lot of guys run Flowmasters and I think there are even different series that will give you different sounds. There might even be sound clips on their site. The size of the pipe you use will also determine how it sounds. Larger pipe will give you a deeper tone and smaller pipe will "rap" more. I still like the sound of a big inch FE with headers, 2 1/2" pipes into side-by-side 30" glasspacks with 2 1/4" tailpipes coming straight out the back. The only drawback with pipes coming straight out the back is if you tow anything.
Hope this helps.
Greg

Last edited by macguyver; 09-05-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:57 AM
MISCAB
Freshman User
Exhaust Question.

As stated above, find a quality muffler shop put in the pipes. Opt for Aluminumized piping or spring for stainless and the system will last as long as the truck.

There are other mufflers out there besides Flowmasters and it may just be a matter of personal taste. I just put a Dynamax cat-back system on my '99 Ranger and it sounds a little throaty, not bad for a small V6 w/ single exhaust. (no coffee can muffler sound here)

One thing you might want to do is check out Flowmasters site and order some flanges to place just below the manifolds. These flanges will allow flexibility for future work, etc., and the seal is much better than older style collectors from my experience.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Exhaust Question.

I'm getting a full system in mine next week. Flowmaster 60s, dumps, "H" pipe chrome turn downs and 2 1/2" pipe. I'll let you know how it works out. I wont however tell the cost! ohweeee!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Racerdave
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

Hey Mac, I have been working, geting all of my paperwork filled out for joining the Air Force and building a computer, so I havent had much time to spend on my truck. I will be gone for about 3 months and come back with about 2000 saved up from basic training and my tech school, and that will all be towards my truck. But befor I go I want to get my exhaust done. 2000 will go towards a EFI 351 and some decent wheels. Anyone want to buy a sweet little 302 Dyno'd at 370HP @ 350ftlbs? I wont need it anymore unless I buy an older mustang.... As for my Exhaust, I was going to go with 2 1/2" all the way, and I guess all I have to do is start calling arround and priceing stuff... I will take it to get done some time this week (thursday) I hope.... Anymore ideas or tips would be great since I have never taken my truck to a shop! Also my gas tank is in the rear above my spare tire (which is gone) so... if I go out the back I will be going straight out (I will not be towing anything since I have no rear bumper and only a roll pan.... Can I hang the pipes below the gas tank, or is that dangerous? I am thinking thats not a good thing, but ill go and take a look at it tonight.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Racerdave
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

P.S. Beartracks, what kid and size are your front and rear wheels, also what size tire do you have on the front and rear, it makes it sit very well..... Also do they wear out fast?

Old 09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
Exhaust Question.

i just got my truck back with magniflow mufflers on it and it sound so awesome! they are one of the best flowing mufflers out there too so if you would like some performance too thats a good choice. they also come with a lifetime warranty.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:42 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
Exhaust Question.

Texan, which model of magnaflows did you end up getting??

Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Exhaust Question.

Have Jesse James fab some up for ya!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
Exhaust Question.

not sure of the model, but the one i have is a single 3' inlet and single out let one of the shortest one you can get, thats how you judge how loud they are, the shorter the louder. you can't go wrong with these mufflers, they sound great on my suburban, and they sounded good on my acura v6 too.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:31 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Exhaust Question.

Racer, My rims are 15x8, front tires 235r60x15 and wear very well, rear are275r60x15 and they wear out in the middle due to no load. I'll go down to 255 next time.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Racerdave
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

What type of wheels do you have? So I have a 302, should I get 3" or 2-1/2" I was thinking 3" but I am not sure. Also I am going to bring the exhaust tips out in front of the rear tires. Will Flowmaster Mufflers give me that (((DEEP LOUD (LEGAL) BUT NOT QUIET, and NOT raspy? Or if I wanted that should I go wtih Turbo Mufflers? Anyone have any ideas? Because I am geting my check today and I want to do it ASAP. Thanks

Old 09-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Racerdave
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

P.S.- I will eventualy get headers, and I want dual exhaust now and want to use my dual exhaust when I get headers and not have to spend much more money to convert my system to hook to the headers should I go with one single muffler (if I go with turbo's I will just buy another and hook them up seprate), but if I buy the flowmaster muffler should I get a muffler with 2 inlets and 2 outlets, or should I go with one inlet and 2 outlets and buy a connector for my headers so they go through one muffler? I have heard it sounds better with one header connected to one pipe and also it is easyer to troubleshoot if you have problems with your engine? What do you think about that?

Old 09-09-2003, 02:17 PM
snowfighter
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

When I put new exhaust on last year I told them that i was planning headers at rebuild time. I got 2 1/2 to glasspacks and then 2 1/4 from there out the side behind rear wheel. (210.00)
Good deal no problems. Now with the headers they dump funny under the truck and have a layout sheet for the exhaust system
(4x4) So he had to redo the whole thing to make it work right.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Racerdave
Elder User
Exhaust Question.

That sucks, does anyone know what I should go with? Mufflers or glass packs?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question.