95 F-150 4.9L missing/bucking while cruising

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM
corytcline
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudyrides
corytcline,
You did not mention anything about air intake. What does your air filter look like? Are the intake passages clear. I had mice store an amazing amount of nesting material in the heat/defrost system of a Dodge pick up. I am but a beginner, but with black smoke, etc. sounds like you're not getting enough air. What color are your spark plug electrodes? I probably sound pretty outrageous here, but sometimes an answer lies in the simplest solution. I can empathize with your frustration.
Lord bless,
rudyrides
Filter should be ok I haven't looked in a while but the van was driven 150 miles daily when the problem started,Air filter was changed 6 or 7 months ago. I have been told that it sounded like the choke was stuck. I did not even know a fuel injected motor had a choke. Does it? I can turn a wrench but I'm no mechanic, just a guy trying to keep stuff going.
The spark plugs were just changed and they had been in there for a long time. The electrode was solid black and sharpened is the best way I can think of to describe them.
The van also idles really fast.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel injected engines don't have a choke. Sounds like they are trying to describe a sypmtom. Feels like it has the choke on and it's blowing black smoke. I'd be checking the plugs and wires along with the timing.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
rudyrides
New User
corytcline,
Good advice from FreakshOw. I was thinking about timing earlier today. Is the "SPOUT" plug in place. It's basically just a conector in-line to disconnect your distributor that is removed when checking your timing. It's hanging near your distributor. If your spark plugs are black, there's something seriously wrong. Mine runs so lean they're like burnt orange in color. I mentioned earlier a mouse problem. I had to park my Dodge outside for a couple of weeks and the mice managed to fill the junction, or whatever, box in my heat/defroster air system. I'd run a coat hanger through all the air ducts going to and from the air filter housing just to be sure they're clear. It's obvious that your air/fuel mixture is not right. If there is no missing, just the bucking (let 'er buck) then plugs & wires should be OK. (Little joke there, sorry, couldn't resist). Where are some of the old timers in this conversation. Come on guys, let's give coryt a hand.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
corytcline
Senior User
I really like rudyrides enthusiasm to help thanks.
Just paid a mechanic (sigh) $150.00 to change plugs, rotor, and dist. cap. So they should all be good. The wires I beleive did not get changed but I suspect if they were bad the mechanic would have cashed in on that too. He also fixed the vacuum line going to the egr it was brittle and broken, which now that I typed that makes sense on why unplugging the vacuum going to the egr did me no good.

I will put a timing light on it and see what I get. Are you saying the plug has to be unpluged from the dist. to check the timing?

Had to park the van for now till I get this figured out Driving another ford van 92 I think with a 351 and eod tranny I hate those transmissions they feel like they slip in and out of gear all day lol. Ill take a 300 straight six with a c6 over that 351- overdrive combo any day, my 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
Why isn't this a sticky? Same problem, running home to try the plate tonight. That is after I replace the plugs because I shattered one trying to get it out two nights ago. Last person my mommy sent it to while i was away cross threaded it.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM
rudyrides
New User
Redrocket9.0
Good luck on those cross threaded plugs. There's a fix for that once you get them out. i forget the name... some kind of "___coil". Any questions on the restrictor plate, give me a shout.
rudyrides

Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
Helicoil. There's also "oem" tread repair kits at autozone that are very similar that I might try.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 PM
rudyrides
New User
Redrocket9.0
Sounds like you're right on top of it.
Lord bless,
rudyrides

Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
SON OF A...!!!

Well, I ended just running a tap through the holes with grease on the tap to catch the debris which worked very well and im pleased with the outcome of that. I had the battery off for a few days also. When I started it, it idled perfectly for a good ten minutes. Then I took it out and it was smooth as glass and running at full power for about 1 mile. Then all the old symptoms returned. Which I assumed was because the egr opened up and caused the egr problem we've been discussing. However! I disconected the green vac lib to the egr, and no change. Could it be that the egr was open when it disconected so it stayed open, or am I dealing with a totally different problem? It idles like it has a big cam, misses and bucks very much like others have described on here that did the restrictor fix with success. Im stumped. Why would it run perfect for several minutes after clearing the computer that just revert back?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
rudyrides
New User
Redrocket9.0
You are beyond my expertise. Hopefully some of the more experienced among us will respond to your dilemma. Here's a wild thought. Shoot some WD40 into the egr valve to loosen it up. At this point what do you have to lose? Work that diaphragm back and forth a little so it's moving freely. I did that when I put my old one back on. Working fine for me. I can't say that I totally recommend that. They aren't giving those things away at the parts stores. If you need a new EGR valve I just happen to have one on my bench with about 20 or 30 miles on it and the sensor to boot. Good luck and Lord bless,
rudyrides

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great info on this board I dont post much but I do alot of reading and run across the post, I have put up with this problem for longer then I care to remember. I put the plate under my EGR valve and it runs like a new truck. It is nice to have this old truck running so good, thanks for such a great board.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randle
Thanks for all the great info on this board I dont post much but I do alot of reading and run across the post, I have put up with this problem for longer then I care to remember. I put the plate under my EGR valve and it runs like a new truck. It is nice to have this old truck running so good, thanks for such a great board.

This is exactly what I experienced too. My dad bought this truck new in 91. I bought it from him in 2004. Did this mod and he drove it and couldn't believe it. Ford had it a few times early on and no success. He now has the truck back again! I gave it back to him in 2008. He's keeping it. It is just about to turn over 100,000 Miles. If all goes as plan it will get its body redone in the next year or so professionally. Its still cheaper then buying a new truck

Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
rudyrides
New User
Glad to hear the restrictor plate is solving this problem for some of our bloggers. The burning question I have is why couldn't Ford have figured this out? Now my friends, tell me how I can get better than 17 mpg with my '90 4.9L 300 inline six, five speed and I'll be not just a happy camper, but a jubilant one.
Lord bless,
rudyrides

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rudyrides Keep up hopes I know they are capable of doing it mine is a 92 model with 4.9 and 5 speed and 3.25 gear and it has always got 17 local and 21 hiway on one 700 mile trip it got 22 average over the trip by the way that was with the knock. Thanks again for thr tip on the EGR.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
BigRedWindsor
New User
Problem solved

Hey guys sorry for taking awhile to get back to the forum, I've been working in the islands. Rudyrides, Wolfy thanks for the help guys. I end up replacing most of the ignition system and what do you know problem solved. I decided NOT to use autozone brand parts.

Quick Reply: 95 F-150 4.9L missing/bucking while cruising