6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Still having weird turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 PM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still having weird turbo issues

I posted yesterday about the part number for my turbo. I have since then got the correct rebuild kit, and rebuilt the turbo, put a new pigtail on it, and I still get no boost. I get a p0237 "low boost circuit A" code, I've tried clearing it, and it actually stayed gone for a short drive around my block but came back. I think the turbo is not getting power. How do I go about checking that? I should have checked the wires while I was installing the new pigtail, but I didn't. I'm attaching my PIDS from torque pro, I have a SGII also but don't have the PIDs entered in it yet. My boost gauge ALWAYS shows -22 or so, MAP always shows -11. Doesn't matter if it's running or koeo. I've tugged on just about every wire I come across. I did an EGR delete and oil cooler recently, and have had turbo issues ever since. I need help (once again), thank you in advance for any direction I can take, any advice, any experiences in this area. These PIDs are just after startup. The truck was a little warm. The VGT does go down with throttle, but I'm not 100% it always does.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What does the Scan Gauge show for those sensors? May need to program the x-gauge for it. You tube shows how to do it.

Is the Torque loaded for the 6.0 PIDS? You could try a different gauge or build one in torque.

The low boost is from the MAP reading being wrong. Figure out the gauge and then go after the sensor.

I'd also say that 12.4v battery is low.
The picture shows vacuum as a gauge... you don't get that reading with a diesel, why I asked if you loaded the 6.0 PIDs.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Yes I loaded the 6.0 PIDS. I tried every MAP/boost/turbo PID on it. The only code I get is the p0237. It's always said something like -.3 vacuum sometimes at idle, but always went up with throttle. Even the gauge on the dash goes UP to zero when I first start it, then after a second or 3 of running, it goes back down past zero. I've done a lot of work to this truck lately and haven't driven it at all. I put a hole in my vacuum canister, and the pump is running non stop, but that doesn't control anything regarding MAP or the turbo, right? I'll be replacing that today anyways though. If you want to hear an idiotic story, I'll tell you how I broke it. Let's just say I forgot to put the inner fender well back in. And drove it.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
The vacuum pump does heater controls and ESOF hubs for 4x4... that's it.

But I do know that MAP sensor controls boost. I'd clean the tube leading to the sensor and clean the nipple on the intake manifold as well.

Truck should run with or without the gauge reading correctly.. so that say's the gauge is either wrong or its the sensor that's wrong. AND that -22 boost isn't right. You should have MAP, BARO and EBP read the same with KOEO... get that first. That will tell you a couple things, gauge is good and sensors are good.

ALWAYS verify a bad gauge with another gauge, so I'd take the 20 minutes to watch the you tube video to learn the X-gauge programming for scan gauge and get that done. Then verify the readings for BARO, MAP, and EBP and the gauges read close at KOEO.

P0237 says a wire to the turbo most likely is broken. Check the plug, check the pins in the plug and look near the plug for bare/broken wire.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I broke my MAP nipple, it defaults to 3. I would pull the whole bracket holding the map & hose as an assembly. Be very delicate with it, if you even look at it wrong the nipple will break. You may just have a bad hose.

Edit: in torque pro, when selecting pid scroll all the way to the bottom & try the "turbo boost & vaccuum gauge". Mine came with it already displayed & also reads a vaccuum at startup/idle

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 PM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Yeah I've cleaned the MAP sensor, tube, and nipples several times. I've tried every PID on torque pro for turbo/boost/map. I plugged in the turbo X-gauge values into my SG2 and it stays at 3 regardless of koeo or running/driving. It has to be the sensor is bad or an electrical short. It's spooling, it just doesn't register.

I have another issue now though. It's still smoking after a good bit of idling and driving after the oil cooler and egr delete. My wife says it smells like burnt gas so I'm assuming it's diesel. I have no sense of smell. I'm not sure if I should start a new post or not. I did an EGR delete and oil cooler replacement and I thought the smoke was left over from the egr cooler failure, which most of it did go away. The smoke I get now is greyish, very light at idle but thickens while I'm on the throttle, then goes back to very light when I return to idle. I resealed all 8 injectors the last 2 days, torqued every bolt down correctly with a nice digital torque wrench, but the smoke persists. I have no cylinder codes, only the egr codes and the boost sensor code. If I should start a new thread please let me know and I can copy this to a new one. Thanks guys

Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Is that vaccume gauge reading EBP ? May need to clean up that sensor too and the tube .

Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Sounds like the map is shot then. Got mine from RockAuto for ~$52. MOTORCRAFT CX1961 is the part #.

Did you do a bubble test after sealing the injectors?

Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
No the vacuum gauge IS the boost gauge. The EBP is in the first pic, it's at around 16.8 and it fluctuates. It's about 2-2.5 off from the barometric. I've always heard that it shouldn't do that either. I'm going to post these pics if it completely warmed up after driving it. Battery voltage does go up.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Is that reading correct for EBP... highest 17.0? Mine at WOT reads near 45psi. And the gauge in torque for boost should be "Boost".
Under Torque, go to settings, manage extra PIDS and make sure your set to Ford power stroke 6.0. Upper right corner select more, then press pre-defined set.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
Yes, I promise it's the correct PID. I've been using torque pro for a couple years now and it used to say boost. I have the ford 6.0 specific PIDS loaded, I have tried all PIDS associated with turbo/boost/map everything. They all say it has a vacuum of 23 nm on the turbo, or a vacuum of 11 nm for manifold absolute pressure. Even my scangauge 2 says it has a -3 vacuum and never changes. Once that torque turbo gauge climbs above zero, it will say boost at the bottom. Mine has always switched back and forth from vacuum to boost because at startup it would pull maybe a .3 vacuum, then go to boost with a little throttle. My ebp high value is so low because I turned the truck off, then restarted it to get the screenshot. This thing has me stumped. I've read several threads about people having the same issue, but I've rarely seen a fix for it. One guy replaced his MAP sensor and it helped. Maybe that will work for me. I havent installed it yet.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Mine does the same. Here's an old ss.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
What mine looks like. Never seen it say vacuum... but hey.
What makes the comparison hard is PSI-Hg_ inches. Maybe why I've asked are you sure your using the correct set of PIDS.
Name:  Screenshot_20161023-182202_zpsn6gsppra.png
Views: 2951
Size:  362.3 KB

Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What I see so far is ICPV is low 0.8 would be at koeo , here is ford values
Koeo- 0.2 you need .85 to start the truck , low- 1.0 , high at 2500 rpm -1.8 operating values 0.15 -4.7 so double check the ICP connection for oil or short

Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 AM
McBusiness11
Senior User
I meant to follow up with this thread and it slipped my mind. I did replace the MAP sensor and my issues went away. ICPV seems to be a little higher now as well, but I'm not sure they're connected. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Still having weird turbo issues