1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Only Concern! 3.73 Gas Towing!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
RAAADRZ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Only Concern! 3.73 Gas Towing!!

So, I've had my 2015 F250 6.2 for a few weeks now and lovin' it!! I'm racking my brain reading different posts about towing and axle ratios!! My truck is rated at 12,200 max towing and I'm just a little concerned about having enough power to climb grades. As of now, we have a Rockwood Ultra lite 5th wheel, so it's not a problem. We only go out in it approximately 3-5 times a year. In the future we may upgrade to a Grand Design which have GVWR of about what my 6.2 is rated for. Someone talk me into selling for a 4.3 axle gas or diesel!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
confused... a 4.3 Gas over the mighty 6.2L

if I remember correctly.. replace the 3.73 to the 4.30 and gain 2,000 pounds more max tow...

my 6,2L with 1,500 in bed of truck AND pulling a 9,000 pound plus trailer does east side Hills just fine..

oh, my 6.2L has 150,000 miles with 3.73s.....

Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Wingit929
Senior User
People always have grand plans that never come true. life just happens. And your "we may upgrade" could end up that way. Taking a loss on a truck you have had a few weeks is insane for a maybe. If you like how it is towing now then when you have the funds for the new one set aside money to have the truck re-geared. This way it may not be as noticeable that you went up in weight.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I think you are making much to do about nothing. Folks are in fact towing Grand Designs as well as many other comparably sized brands all over the country with trucks just like yours. If you have money to throw away, make the trade, but my thought would be at least try it first so you have some idea what you have before deciding it is not up to the task.

Steve

Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
RAAADRZ
New User
Thanks!

Thanks boys! I'm just needing some reassurance, I guess!! Lol. Curious... If I decide to swap out the 3.73's in the future, how many benjamins will that set me back? I wouldn't be doing the work...

Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
4x4 going to 4.30 will likely be 1500 to 2000 (some even more) depending on the shop and gear brand. Be careful going too cheap, there are gear brands out there that are just not of good quality and will bite you in towing.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingit929
People always have grand plans that never come true. life just happens. And your "we may upgrade" could end up that way. Taking a loss on a truck you have had a few weeks is insane for a maybe. If you like how it is towing now then when you have the funds for the new one set aside money to have the truck re-geared. This way it may not be as noticeable that you went up in weight.
I agree. I ordered my truck with 4.30s because my goal was to install a slight lift and some 35 or 37" tires. That never happened and probably never will.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you do some towing and see what your 6.2 can do, you will not be worrying about the 3.73's and if you are you can always add some tuning from 5Star tuning to spice it up.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm a big advocate for the lower gears in these trucks, but I've also said several times that the 3.73's work. It's not like your going to come to a grade and the truck not be able to get across it. Being out west, you will probably get down to 2nd and in high elevations, maybe even 1st on super steep grades, but it will make it. Just remember there will be a slow lane, and the speed limit through these passes is not 70mph. Let that 6.2 rev. My big reason for liking the lower gear is daily driving and around town. You will net better mpgs around town with lower gears, and that's where I do most of my driving. If you have ever watched the video of the raptor vs the f250 up Ike gauntlet, lower gears don't always mean faster. The raptor with the 4.10's would up shift then not be able to hold that gear and loose momentum, then down shift. The 3.73 superduty would hold that lower gear at a higher speed. The mechanical advantages of the 4.30 will be much more apparent in higher transmission gears like 5th and 6th. You will see the advantage much more on flatter and gently rolling terrain, less down shifting. I was quoted 1850 parts and labor by a well known local 4wd shop. That included a 1 year warranty. If you wanted to finish first across the mountain with 12k, you should have bought the diesel. The diesel will shine out west in the higher elevations and super steep grades. Where I live in the smokey mountains of East Tennessee, with my 8500lbs, the 6.2 doesn't break a sweat, even with 3.73's. And I don't have to worry about the headaches of a diesel. You have a good truck, why take a hit for a few trips a year?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM
RAAADRZ
New User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
I'm a big advocate for the lower gears in these trucks, but I've also said several times that the 3.73's work. It's not like your going to come to a grade and the truck not be able to get across it. Being out west, you will probably get down to 2nd and in high elevations, maybe even 1st on super steep grades, but it will make it. Just remember there will be a slow lane, and the speed limit through these passes is not 70mph. Let that 6.2 rev. My big reason for liking the lower gear is daily driving and around town. You will net better mpgs around town with lower gears, and that's where I do most of my driving. If you have ever watched the video of the raptor vs the f250 up Ike gauntlet, lower gears don't always mean faster. The raptor with the 4.10's would up shift then not be able to hold that gear and loose momentum, then down shift. The 3.73 superduty would hold that lower gear at a higher speed. The mechanical advantages of the 4.30 will be much more apparent in higher transmission gears like 5th and 6th. You will see the advantage much more on flatter and gently rolling terrain, less down shifting. I was quoted 1850 parts and labor by a well known local 4wd shop. That included a 1 year warranty. If you wanted to finish first across the mountain with 12k, you should have bought the diesel. The diesel will shine out west in the higher elevations and super steep grades. Where I live in the smokey mountains of East Tennessee, with my 8500lbs, the 6.2 doesn't break a sweat, even with 3.73's. And I don't have to worry about the headaches of a diesel. You have a good truck, why take a hit for a few trips a year?
Well said, Ron. Makes a lot of sense...

Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 AM
Brettb1
Freshman User
I hate a truck that hunts for gears on the highway. I have a 2011 6.2 with 3.73 and I will be going up to the 4.30's just to stop the gear hunting when towing. I don't tow anything heavy but I noticed that the enclosed 4 place aluminum snowmobile trailer catches so much wind that its worse then pulling my 25' gooseneck flatbed loaded down with 12k. Yes the truck pulls it fine but im very picky and the shifting annoys me. I've owned two V10 trucks one with 3.73 and one I ordered with 4.30 and the 4.30 truck got better mileage around town and was a night and day difference towing.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Mr. 3.73 gears
Freshman User
Don't worry about it most guys have 3.73 gears and they will pull just fine.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I think you are making much to do about nothing. Folks are in fact towing Grand Designs as well as many other comparably sized brands all over the country with trucks just like yours. If you have money to throw away, make the trade, but my thought would be at least try it first so you have some idea what you have before deciding it is not up to the task.

Steve

Yup,

What Steve said. Take what you read from some of the interwebs "experts" with a grain of salt. That 3.73 gear will tow just fine. You only pull 3 to 5 times a year? And you are seriously worried? Don't be. I'm pulling the Grand Design in my sig, with 3.73 gears, and pulled mountain grades with it. Still fine.

It. Will. Do. It. Just. Fine.

My 5'er will gross 14K, but we have it packed to 11,800 as verified on a CAT scale, full water tank, food, gear, etc. Plan on putting air bags on it is about all I'll say for mods.

And shame on the interweb warriors for fostering this myth that you MUST have 4.30 gears to be able to tow. Like you won't be able to pull out of your own driveway unless you have the low gears.

OP, feel free to ask me anything about your planned combo, I can give you direct experience.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ron94150

I'm sorry, I just have to throw a BS flag on this play. There's no way in hell he'll be down to 1st gear trying to pull 12K up ANY grade with his rig. You guys simply MUST stop spewing this garbage. All the guys you are talking into truck trade ins, or gear swaps, wasting $K's of other people's money, and perpetuating this internet myth that the 3.73's won't tow.

Seriously, just stop.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Brettb1
I hate a truck that hunts for gears on the highway. I have a 2011 6.2 with 3.73 and I will be going up to the 4.30's just to stop the gear hunting when towing. I don't tow anything heavy but I noticed that the enclosed 4 place aluminum snowmobile trailer catches so much wind that its worse then pulling my 25' gooseneck flatbed loaded down with 12k. Yes the truck pulls it fine but im very picky and the shifting annoys me. I've owned two V10 trucks one with 3.73 and one I ordered with 4.30 and the 4.30 truck got better mileage around town and was a night and day difference towing.

MANUAL MODE.

Seriously, just try it. Manual mode on the transmission is a gift from God on these trucks. Try it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Slowpoke Slim:

Quick Reply: My Only Concern! 3.73 Gas Towing!!