2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thinking of getting a '17

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Great choice. It's so much better to get it exactly how you want, especially when spending so much money.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM
snglspeed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the chance to drive several of the 2017 250 and 350 6.2 combinations. The 250 with the 3.73 felt better than any gas job from years past. For everyday driving and contractor use it should be good. Heavy towing needs the diesel. 3.73 will give better mileage over the long term and with the new trany and updated engine there is more torque.
No way I would be caught without the e locker. Especially for plowing. I have used it numerous times to help when I have gotten hung up or dropped a wheel off a driveway edge and it has been the difference the truck needs to get out. Its a great option for that, but not so much needed for just getting around. Enjoy the new truck

Old 03-25-2017, 11:25 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Still can't make up my mind what I want to do. I'd really like to have a back seat again since I use my truck more than I did when I bought my current one but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on a new one.

The '17s are really growing on me but I don't know if the positives are enough to make me want to get rid of the proven design I currently have. Plus there are still some things I don't like about the new ones.

I've thought about just keeping my '13 and adding some mods that's I've always wanted to do and try to make the reg cab more user friendly.

I'm kind of in a good position right now to trade since the '13 is paid for and only has 43k on it. If I keep it much longer I just as well keep it for the long run since the value will really start to drop off as the mileage goes up.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
Still can't make up my mind what I want to do. I'd really like to have a back seat again since I use my truck more than I did when I bought my current one but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on a new one.

The '17s are really growing on me but I don't know if the positives are enough to make me want to get rid of the proven design I currently have. Plus there are still some things I don't like about the new ones.

I've thought about just keeping my '13 and adding some mods that's I've always wanted to do and try to make the reg cab more user friendly.

I'm kind of in a good position right now to trade since the '13 is paid for and only has 43k on it. If I keep it much longer I just as well keep it for the long run since the value will really start to drop off as the mileage goes up.
Alright Fordman, here is my list coming from my 2016 6.2.:

I will start with the best changes for me vs. my last 2016
1. The increased torque at lower rpm
2. The new 6R100 for the gasser.......?
3. The 4.30's
4. The flat rear floor when seats are up.
5. I have a 10-15% mpg increase even with my 35" tires.

The main things that bug me:
1. Fuel tank went down to 34 gal. The truck shows "0" till empty and only takes 29.
2. My 4x4 whines on the hwy.
3. The plastic fuel door looks hideous and never really closes
4. The truck is too tall. I'm in construction, in and out with stuff in the bed all day. It's nearly impossible to reach anything w/o climbing in, and I'm 6-2. I have lowered the rear 1.25" using a 2016 F250 block, and I still have over 2" of rake.
5. About climbing in; with the tailgate down, the new style bumper turns up so high, I can't use the bumper to step up to the tail gate, like I've done on every single previous Ford. Now I have to climb up the tire like a little kid. And no, I wouldn't want the built in tailgate step either, as a lot of time I have long lumber laying on the flat tailgate.
6. Other than the cab being larger, I like the 2016 interior better. But with the larger cab comes 3.2" overall length.(now I have to remove my stinger to close the garage door)
7. Cup holders are worse
8. I don't like the rear window glass coming all the down to the bed, I am always extra cautious loading lumber and firewood.
9. The rear slider is now some stupid little porthole.
10. My dealer cannot reprogram the truck for tire size change I made, and they couldn't program the Ford keyless pad I purchased.
11. Shifting from reverse to D, the delay seems way to long. I just recently starting looking into this, but for now that is how it is.
12. I don't like the way the new hood puddles and holds rain water when driving down the highway.
13. The tiny trailer hook loops on the 2.5" receiver don't work for either of my trailers.

Note: I'm an XL guy, so I could care less about luxury improvements/additions.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:04 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Lots of good info there Rain.
I agree with the sliding rear window, I would never order a truck with one(had a couple with them and never used them)but I think it's about the ugliest design I've seen.
I've honestly never noticed the rear glass comes down that far, but I usually put a tool box in the rear so that protects the glass somewhat anyway.
I didn't think Ford could reprogram for tires changes outside of factory offerings for a few years now. I guess you could have them reprogram for the largest OEM offering(I believe 34")and that should get you pretty darn close. I went up a little over an inch from what my truck came with and the speedo was right on when I checked it afterwards.
I somewhat agree on the trucks being too tall. I love the look but the truck will barely clear my garage door and that's with the 275/70/18 tires, so no upsizing for me. I found an F250 with the tires and suspension options I'd get and it was 82 1/4", the rubber seal above my door is 82 1/2" and the actual door frame is 84".

As for the power, being in a light XL equipped Reg cab with the 4.30's I feel my current truck has plenty of power. It's no comparison to my wife's 3.5EB powered F150 but it does pretty good if you keep the engine revved up.

You said your 4wd whines on the highway. Is that driving in 2wd with the hubs locked? My '13 squeaks when driving in 2wd with the hubs locked, did it last year and it was a dry dust seal on the front axle pinion bearing. Ford replaced the bearing and seal and it was quiet for a year then the noise came back so I had everything replaced again.

Biggest thing holding me back is the thought of having to go into the dealer and haggle over price. I know what the trucks are going for and have a pretty good idea what my trade in is worth but I hate this part of the buying experience.

ETA. I do like the aluminum though(even though it sounds like plastic) since I live in the rust belt. I hate rust and even though aluminum still corrodes it should last much longer without holes forming.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert

3. The 4.30's

1. Fuel tank went down to 34 gal. The truck shows "0" till empty and only takes 29.
4. The truck is too tall. I'm in construction, in and out with stuff in the bed all day. It's nearly impossible to reach anything w/o climbing in, and I'm 6-2. I have lowered the rear 1.25" using a 2016 F250 block, and I still have over 2" of rake.
5. About climbing in; with the tailgate down, the new style bumper turns up so high, I can't use the bumper to step up to the tail gate, like I've done on every single previous Ford. Now I have to climb up the tire like a little kid. And no, I wouldn't want the built in tailgate step either, as a lot of time I have long lumber laying on the flat tailgate.
6. Other than the cab being larger, I like the 2016 interior better. But with the larger cab comes 3.2" overall length.(now I have to remove my stinger to close the garage door)
7. Cup holders are worse
8. I don't like the rear window glass coming all the down to the bed, I am always extra cautious loading lumber and firewood.
10. My dealer cannot reprogram the truck for tire size change I made, and they couldn't program the Ford keyless pad I purchased.
11. Shifting from reverse to D, the delay seems way to long. I just recently starting looking into this, but for now that is how it is.
12. I don't like the way the new hood puddles and holds rain water when driving down the highway.
13. The tiny trailer hook loops on the 2.5" receiver don't work for either of my trailers.

Fordman, I agree RainDesert has supplied a lot of good info but keep in mind not every truck is the same and not everyone has the same issues. For example, my 4x4 does not whine at all. I've used it extensively this winter. My fuel door looks and shuts fine. (I did prefer the previous steel design, though). The bed is high, although at 6'5" I can reach some items near the edges of the bed. I did order the tailgate step and absolutely love it. The new design being completely contained "inside" the tailgate is awesome. Although you can complain about not being able to use it with items loaded on to the tailgate...if your tailgate is down then you're not going to be able to use your bumper to step on anyway. Most folks carry a load with the tailgate shut - I realize usage varies - but the factory step is a good solution for most.

I think the interior "design" is a very nice step forward, and some materials improved as did the overall modernity. That said, I liked the seating position of the old truck better. To me, the cup holders are fine. I think the port hole rear slider is cool. Works very smoothly. It may be slightly smaller than before, but it is not a big difference. The purpose is to let more air in the cab. It works well for that purpose, in my opinion. The reason the window glass extends is because of the difference in bed height between the F-150 and Super Duty all while sharing the same cab. The bed is taller or sits up even higher on the F-150...allowing the glass to be shorter. The Super Duty glass needs to be taller in order to look normal.

I've personally not had much of an issue with water pooling on the hood. I do agree the new towing hooks are not nearly as convenient as the old design.

Anyway, that's my take. Everyone looks at things different, and some trucks end up with issues others don't have. I had 4 of the previous generation trucks. All were very good, performed well with no issues. So far, this new truck is the same way - performs well with no issues.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Well, I struck out at my first(and favorite)dealer today. We were $3k off on our offers and they would not budge at all, I was willing to go up $1k because I was pretty low on my first offer but they said they couldn't do it. My buddy works there and he warned me ahead of time that they really didn't want any trades because they are having a hard time moving what they do have, let alone a plain jane truck like mine. Maybe my numbers were way off but I've never been that far off before. Here's what they offered:

2017 F250 CC SB 4wd
STX
4.30 e-lock
skid plates
snow plow/camper package
vinyl seats
275/70/18 OWL AT tires
MSRP on this truck is $42,900
My trade:

2013 F250 Reg cab 4wd XL with 44,000 miles
XL value package
4.30 e-lock
skid plates
camper package
cloth seats
17" aluminum wheels

My truck is probably an 8 out of a 10 with the only damage being the very bottom corner of the tailgate having a slight bend. tires are 30% tread and interior is very nice

Their first and only offer was $21,118 to trade. They offered me $20, 282 for my truck which I was good with but they were only discounting the new truck $1500 which wasn't enough from the research I've done. I was shooting for $18k to trade and was willing to go to $19k. They tried to say my truck would retail for $23k but in the end would probably only bring $18, which I think is BS.

I have one more dealer I'm going to try and if that doesn't work out I'll just keep what I have and mod it like I've always wanted to.

ETA> dealer just called me and offered me $20k to trade. I turned them down and said $19k is the most I'll pay. Hopefully I didn't screw up.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 PM
flanneljunkie
Tuned
Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, I struck out at my first(and favorite)dealer today. We were $3k off on our offers and they would not budge at all, I was willing to go up $1k because I was pretty low on my first offer but they said they couldn't do it. My buddy works there and he warned me ahead of time that they really didn't want any trades because they are having a hard time moving what they do have, let alone a plain jane truck like mine. Maybe my numbers were way off but I've never been that far off before. Here's what they offered:

2017 F250 CC SB 4wd
STX
4.30 e-lock
skid plates
snow plow/camper package
vinyl seats
275/70/18 OWL AT tires
MSRP on this truck is $42,900
My trade:

2013 F250 Reg cab 4wd XL with 44,000 miles
XL value package
4.30 e-lock
skid plates
camper package
cloth seats
17" aluminum wheels

My truck is probably an 8 out of a 10 with the only damage being the very bottom corner of the tailgate having a slight bend. tires are 30% tread and interior is very nice

Their first and only offer was $21,118 to trade. They offered me $20, 282 for my truck which I was good with but they were only discounting the new truck $1500 which wasn't enough from the research I've done. I was shooting for $18k to trade and was willing to go to $19k. They tried to say my truck would retail for $23k but in the end would probably only bring $18, which I think is BS.

I have one more dealer I'm going to try and if that doesn't work out I'll just keep what I have and mod it like I've always wanted to.

ETA> dealer just called me and offered me $20k to trade. I turned them down and said $19k is the most I'll pay. Hopefully I didn't screw up.
It seems that they should be able to discount the truck a bit more than $1500. They may have offered a good trade with a poor discount on the new one because they are concerned with the ability to move the plain jane regular cab truck. In my neck of the woods, a regular cab XL is a bit of a hard sell for much more than wholesale.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by flanneljunkie
It seems that they should be able to discount the truck a bit more than $1500. They may have offered a good trade with a poor discount on the new one because they are concerned with the ability to move the plain jane regular cab truck. In my neck of the woods, a regular cab XL is a bit of a hard sell for much more than wholesale.

This is what they old me but I don't entirely buy that. I live right in the middle of prime farm country and I still see tons of plain jane Reg cab trucks running around.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:20 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master

A 20k difference seems like a good enough deal to me and pretty fair. Plus you found a 4.30 truck without having to order.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
A 20k difference seems like a good enough deal to me and pretty fair. Plus you found a 4.30 truck without having to order.
Unfortunately this truck isn't in stock, I would have to order it. Closest thing they found had $3k worth of stuff I didn't want. I already turned down the $20k offer so I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Any dealer should be able to sell you a new vehicle - ordered or on the lot - for invoicing pricing...maybe even a hair less. They should also be able to give Kelly Blue Book pricing on your trade. Some dealers you NADA, some use Black Book...but KBB is usually pretty close. Doing a quick lookup on your truck based upon "good" condition reveals an expected trade-in range of $16,340 - $18,481 using the options you supplied. There *could* be a tad more value in your truck because it has the 4.30 locker (KBB does not let you enter this) or maybe you have a spray-in liner...but the cost of new tires is higher than the value of the locker.

Given this value, and a *discount* of $1500, they are giving you $21,400 for your trade. That would be exceptional, and they wouldn't make any money on it. In reality, they are giving you about $4500 off the MSRP of the 2017 and giving you $18,400 for your trade...which is top of the mark according to KBB. I think the deal is extremely fair.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Unfortunately this truck isn't in stock, I would have to order it. Closest thing they found had $3k worth of stuff I didn't want. I already turned down the $20k offer so I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Waiting is a good option. Prices will only fall as more '17 models hit the street and inventory rises. Six months from now the '18s will be on the way, and discounts will be significantly higher than they are now.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 AM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3. The 4.30's

7. Cup holders are worse

I agree on basically all of these points. I have a flatbed on mine, so the bed issues don't hit me.

I'll add that the locking diff has actually been a bit nicer than I expected, though I could live without it, and that the seats suck.
Love the truck otherwise, have learned to just not bother filling it up until the low fuel light, at which point I start looking for best prices. It really is that silly, filled up with 43 miles remaining yesterday and put 24 gallons in. I can tell you that it gets better than 4.3 miles to the gallon. I have the 3.73 and tow irregularly, and it has done well for me, though I wonder a bit, as I find that I can occasionally improve my mileage by locking out 6th, MAYBE the 4.30 would get better fuel efficiency for me. Still doubt it. (I get about 12.5-13 MPG empty driving a little more aggressively than average mixed city highway. I can get 17-18 MPG on alcohol-free fuel running 55 MPH in the northern Appalachians with a light load.)

Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Well the dealer called me back yesterday and offered me $19,500 to trade. I turned them down and said I didn't want a new truck bad enough to go over the $19k max I had set for myself going before going to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a '17