1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

just got a 86 f250 2wd diesel 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If the key cylinder isn't turning properly, it could be that it's no longer actuating the switch (the switch is further down the column). Does anything else dependent on the key (radio, turn signals, HVAC blower, etc) work?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i turn the key on turn signals work radio ect,but you have to turn it very far for the starter to engage???,i here no clicking for the injector pump or glow plugs,pull the wire close to front of motor and no power to it,and no power on one side of relay

Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
So the starter cranks when you turn the key to START?

Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If it won' crank, you may have broken the pot metal piece in the steering column. If you want to try it, take the short cover off around the column near the cluster. Work the key back and forth, you will see a rod moving where you took the cover off. Take some pliers, turn the key as far as you can, then grab the rod with the pliers and push towards the cluster and see if it will crank over.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
starter engages by the key,i have a fuel line i put on the pickup pump to a can,hose attaches at bottom,that way if theres a problem with fuel it would be in the engine itself,i still cant get the glow plugs to work,bleed eveything,just barely puffs any smoke out the exhaust,it doresnt even try to start???,is there a way to hotwire the glow plugs,

Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Franklin2
What type of controller do you have? Does it look like this and is mounted on the back of the engine? Or do you have the older type?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
my controller mounts passenger side inner fender,it looks round,older model,

Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by sawmaned
my controller mounts passenger side inner fender,it looks round,older model,
That's not the controller, it's the relay. If your truck is stock, the controller is in the driver's(?) side cylinder head.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Franklin2
But if you wanted to convert it to manual operation, that fender relay is what you want to control. Your stock round older controller is prone to fail, I would get rid of it myself. I have the later style controller on my truck, but I still have a manual button to turn on my glowplugs.

Here's a link that shows how to put a manual button on the older system like you have.

How To: Manual Glow Plug Switch | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net

Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
madpoque truck is stock,controller is in back drivers side head,thanks franklin2,i think the round control is bad,also i checked the grow plugs,correct me if i checked wrong,i put a current tester light clamp to pos on battery and touch the other end to top of glow plug,were the plug goes on,did it on all 8 glow plugs,light never lit up;??

Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
i think the gpr and controller and all 8 glow plugs are junk,can i just put a new gpr and glow plugs or do i need a controller,now as more junk keeps breaking i have nothibg liting up in the cab were i would start ect,rrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Franklin2
Yes, your test shows they are bad. They read very low resistance, almost a short to ground when they are good.

I hope someone did not put cheap glowplugs from the autoparts store in there. Some of the cheap brands like champion and autolite are known to swell up when they burn out. Then you can't get them out of the hole, and when you force them out the tip breaks off and falls into the cylinder. Keep your finger crossed.

You should only use Ford motorcraft or International glowplugs. They are made by Beru in Germany. They will not swell up.

I would get the good plugs, and do the manual button conversion. You are getting smoke out of the tailpipe, so that is good, that is raw unburned fuel. If you want to get it running till you get the new plugs, disconnect the plugs to make double sure none come on, and then give it a quick shot of ether. A little short burst won't hurt it, and it will usually start right up. If it doesn't give it another short burst. Don't sit there spraying the ether continually.

P.S. I would not get new glowplugs and use the old controller. The new controllers are supposed to be improved, or you could retro-fit the newer style controller if you wanted to do some wiring. The old controllers are known for keeping the plugs on too long and burning them out. That's why I recommend the manual button.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
thanks,i will give it a shot of ether

Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
ok got the old girl running,all glow plugs are out and so is the relay,the front fuel tank has a problem,it gets air in the line,thanks everyone for your help,last problem my lower dash were there should be something lit up for starting doesnt lit up ???

Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by sawmaned
ok got the old girl running,all glow plugs are out and so is the relay,the front fuel tank has a problem,it gets air in the line,thanks everyone for your help,last problem my lower dash were there should be something lit up for starting doesnt lit up ???
Maybe a bad bulb?
You cant see what it says maybe glow plug light? I don't know where it is on the truck.

Every one I have been in had a light that would come on if the glow plugs were working. I say working because if warm or hot they did not come on so no light.
When it would come on you wait till out then could start it.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: just got a 86 f250 2wd diesel 6.9