Modular V10 (6.8l)  

'00 6.8L with weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Do they have power? Are they getting their firing pulse from the PCM?
I think the fuel injectors don't actually get a "firing pulse".
The fuel injectors have 12v thru them at all times the PCM has power.
The PCM will individually ground the fuel injector lines thru internal relays to open the injectors.
This makes it easy to test if the fuel injectors are getting power.
Test for 12v at any of the injector connectors on the driver's side when the engine is running since they are all tied together.
The red leads come from a splice in the harness at the rear of the engine which splits to provide power to the 2 banks.
You can test either line at the injector connectors - red is input, various colors are output which would include the injector.
There may be a broken or shorted wire in the harness on the driver's side after the splice.
The fuel rail may be clogged on the driver's side although I can't imagine how.
Can you see if any fuel is in the driver's side fuel rail?
For the PCM to be bad an entire bank of 5 relays would have to be bad which is not likely.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:55 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
The PCM will individually ground the fuel injector lines thru internal relays to open the injectors.
That would be the "firing pulse" although the PCM doesn't use relays to provide the ground pulse, it uses transistors.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Check for voltage between the red wire at the injector harness and ground, with the key on.

If that shows voltage, connect a digital volt meter set to AC volts between the two pins of one of those injector plugs and when running report back the reading.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Krewat
Check for voltage between the red wire at the injector harness and ground, with the key on. ...
I don't have circuit drawings for the 2000, but in our 2002 the ignition switch needs to be in "RUN" or "START" to trigger the PCM relay which provides power to the injectors.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:36 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Yes, of course the ignition switch has to be in RUN or START for the ignition and fuel systems to be powered.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
I don't have circuit drawings for the 2000, but in our 2002 the ignition switch needs to be in "RUN" or "START" to trigger the PCM relay which provides power to the injectors.
Hence the "key on" part of my statement.

???

Old 03-25-2017, 01:15 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Krewat
Hence the "key on" part of my statement.

???
Yes, "key on" is commonly used for "RUN".
I wanted to avoid confusion with the ignition switch being only turned from "OFF" to "ACCY" which turns on a few things.
The ignition switch has no "ON" selection.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:45 PM
FormerJeeper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grabbed some tools from a friend, and I was wrong, the injectors are firing, it has no power to the coils. I have not dissected the harness yet, but have not found anything externally wrong with it, or anything disconnected. I have also gone back through all of the fuses, even though it appears as both sides are ran off of the same fuses/relays. I'm guessing it has to be a harness issue.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:57 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FormerJeeper
... I'm guessing it has to be a harness issue.
For testing you could run a wire thru a fuse from the battery to the red lead at #6 to see if the coils start firing.
The coils get power from the ignition switch in RUN and START.
They should all tie together in the harness near the back of the engine.
On the wiring diagram there is an "Ignition transformer capacitor 1" for bank 1 and another for bank 2.
Anyone know what they are for?
I'm guessing radio interference suppression.
If one of these capacitors failed what sort of problem could it cause?
I have a friend whose Navigator is also not firing coils on the driver's side.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
it has no power to the coils.
Are you certain? If you have no power to ANY of the COPS but the PCM still powers up (sounds like it), then that would indicated a wiring harness concern somewhere between splices S179 and S130 (via C101-16). See highlighted area in diagrams attached.

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
FormerJeeper
New User
Are you certain? If you have no power to ANY of the COPS but the PCM still powers up (sounds like it), then that would indicated a wiring harness concern somewhere between splices S179 and S130 (via C101-16). See highlighted area in diagrams attached.

No, just the driver's side is out, passenger side is firing. It runs on 5 cylinders.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:57 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
In that case, the harness fault is between splices S130 and S135 shown in the schematic above.

Here's what might be a shortcut:

There's an RFI capacitor on each bank, see both the schematic and the connector layout. Connect a jumper between the two of them (RD/LG wire) and see if the problem is resolved. You can figure out a permanent repair later if you want to or you can just leave the jumper in there and seal it up.

The RFI capacitors can fail in one of two modes, they'll either open (and you'll probably never know it) or they'll short and that SHOULD take out the fuse for the circuit.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:55 AM
RepoTech
Freshman User
Try disconnecting all the suspected faulty injectors while it's running and observe the balance. At first I was thinking someone put an orange in the tail pipe.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RepoTech
Try disconnecting all the suspected faulty injectors while it's running and observe the balance. At first I was thinking someone put an orange in the tail pipe.
You're a day behind, he already confirmed the injectors are working and the problem is due to half the coils missing their power.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 AM
FormerJeeper
New User
In that case, the harness fault is between splices S130 and S135 shown in the schematic above.

Here's what might be a shortcut:

There's an RFI capacitor on each bank, see both the schematic and the connector layout. Connect a jumper between the two of them (RD/LG wire) and see if the problem is resolved. You can figure out a permanent repair later if you want to or you can just leave the jumper in there and seal it up.

The RFI capacitors can fail in one of two modes, they'll either open (and you'll probably never know it) or they'll short and that SHOULD take out the fuse for the circuit.
Thanks! I'll check that and see. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully, I can get this repaired.

Quick Reply: '00 6.8L with weird issue