Sponsored by: Moser

At My Wits End. 2014 F150 V8, Hard Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
firemanjj82
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At My Wits End. 2014 F150 V8, Hard Shifts

Hey, everyone. Newbie here to this forum. I have a 2014 screw 4x4 v8 that has been in the shop 5 times now for something that the dealership can't duplicate, and that is intermittent enough for me that I can't determine what the conditions need to be in order to duplicate it myself.

My transmission will shift hard under two different situations: 1) when rolling through a stop, or a momentary stop at a stop sign, the transmission holds up between 3 and 1, and when I bring the rpms up, the transmission shifts down into 1, making a hard clunk; 2) at highway speeds, more so when using cruise, if I accelerate and the truck shifts down from 6 to 4, there will be a hard shift as well. In fact, when I'm on a long stretch of flat, open road using cruise at 70-75, I can feel a slight bump through the steering wheel and floorboard, as if the cruise is trying to engage the throttle a bit more, but only for a split second. But that will happen quite a few times within a couple miles until I come up on a grade and the throttle has to engage for a bit longer to keep speed. Sometimes, the hard shift will do occur going to 5 as well, but 90% of the time it will be a 6-4 shift. If the truck decides to shift from 6-3, there's no issue and it shifts and accelerates like it should.

Again, this is so intermittent, but when it happens, it happens several times. I've had the service tech ride in the truck with me, all the while not being able to duplicate the issue. I understand that these are learning transmissions, so the only thing I can think of is when I try to duplicate it by accelerating over and over, that the transmission adjusts the shift pattern or fluid pressure to compensate.

So, hopefully I can get some insight here. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 AM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
have you had the dealer clear the transmission memory? it sounds like it is having a hard time making the transition from the previous owner to your driving style.

I say this not in a derogatory or judgmental way, but it sounds like you drive with a rather heavy foot. I have found with my 2010 that the transmission gets confused if drive hard after I've driven very lightly for a long time.

I realize things are different from 2010 to 2014, but a 6-4 downshift for me is rather rare, and a 6-3 downshift is very very rare, and only happens if I go nearly to the floor in a very abrupt manner. for me, even a 6-4 downshift takes a lot of throttle input quickly.

to clear the memory, you could try disconnecting the negative battery post and jumper from the positive to the negative with a small jumper wire and let it sit for a few minutes (be very careful to insulate the negative post when you do this so there is no connection to the battery) this will kill any capacitive memory in the truck, but as I understand it, the transmission strategy is kept in a PROM which is supposed to be retained when the battery is disconnected, so it may take a programmer to actually clear the transmission memory.

but the jumper wire is free to try

Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM
firemanjj82
New User
Originally Posted by meborder
have you had the dealer clear the transmission memory? it sounds like it is having a hard time making the transition from the previous owner to your driving style.

I say this not in a derogatory or judgmental way, but it sounds like you drive with a rather heavy foot. I have found with my 2010 that the transmission gets confused if drive hard after I've driven very lightly for a long time.

I realize things are different from 2010 to 2014, but a 6-4 downshift for me is rather rare, and a 6-3 downshift is very very rare, and only happens if I go nearly to the floor in a very abrupt manner. for me, even a 6-4 downshift takes a lot of throttle input quickly.

to clear the memory, you could try disconnecting the negative battery post and jumper from the positive to the negative with a small jumper wire and let it sit for a few minutes (be very careful to insulate the negative post when you do this so there is no connection to the battery) this will kill any capacitive memory in the truck, but as I understand it, the transmission strategy is kept in a PROM which is supposed to be retained when the battery is disconnected, so it may take a programmer to actually clear the transmission memory.

but the jumper wire is free to try
I'm the original owner. I bought this vehicle in May 2015 brand new. I know the first time it was in, they reflashed the tranny. This worked for a bit, but then it came back. The second time, they replaced a solenoid and valve parts. This resolved the rough shift on the highway, but the shift clunk on a short stop stayed the same. That's what has been the issue over and over for me, which has caused me to send it back in.

I may have a heavy foot at times, but honestly I can say it's not hard starts from a red light or anything. It tends to be more on the highway, but even then it's not to the floor. It's just enough to accelerate around someone or get on the highway itself. More than anything nothing, I battle that green bar to try to keep my MPGs up as much as possible. One thing I have read is that if the tranny is shifting hard, that I should drive it like I stole it for a while and it will resolve itself. I just don't feel like that is and viable option in order to get shifts as smooth as my old 2000 Explorer.

One other option I've read is an aftermarket tuner from SCT, but not while I'm still under warranty.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM
meborder
well, there goes my theory

a tuner may help, but this seems like something unique to your vehicle. I haven't seen many similar complaints leading me to think it is just a general programming issue.

how does it drive with the tow/haul engaged?

any better or worse with regard to shifting?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 PM
firemanjj82
New User
well, there goes my theory

a tuner may help, but this seems like something unique to your vehicle. I haven't seen many similar complaints leading me to think it is just a general programming issue.

how does it drive with the tow/haul engaged?

any better or worse with regard to shifting?
That's one thing I havent tried. I will give it a shot today. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:33 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Disconnecting the negative lead and attempting to start the vehicle with the key should kill the KAM and send the transmission back through active learning.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by firemanjj82
2) at highway speeds, more so when using cruise, if I accelerate and the truck shifts down from 6 to 4, there will be a hard shift as well. In fact, when I'm on a long stretch of flat, open road using cruise at 70-75, I can feel a slight bump through the steering wheel and floorboard, as if the cruise is trying to engage the throttle a bit more, but only for a split second. But that will happen quite a few times within a couple miles until I come up on a grade and the throttle has to engage for a bit longer to keep speed. Sometimes, the hard shift will do occur going to 5 as well, but 90% of the time it will be a 6-4 shift. If the truck decides to shift from 6-3, there's no issue and it shifts and accelerates like it should.
I've had similar hard shifts happen on 6-5 and 6-4 when on highway. Usually this is with a "roll in" on the throttle vs. stomping on it. It hasn't happened enough for me to look into it - just wanted to mention that you are not the only one with the problem. Hope that you are able to resolve.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM
firemanjj82
New User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I've had similar hard shifts happen on 6-5 and 6-4 when on highway. Usually this is with a "roll in" on the throttle vs. stomping on it. It hasn't happened enough for me to look into it - just wanted to mention that you are not the only one with the problem. Hope that you are able to resolve.
Yes, this is the best way for me to describe it as well. I can probably get it to do it more often when I use my cruise to accelerate versus the pedal.

I did utilize the Tow/Haul feature about an hour ago and it did seem to hold it in gear better instead of trying to down shift. Basically, it felt like the way a transmission should feel.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 PM
firemanjj82
New User
Even though the Tow/Haul helps, it's not practical for me.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 PM
firemanjj82
New User
Anything else...

Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 PM
meborder
Nothing from me...

If it drives better with tow/haul id just do that....

I realize thats not what you want to hear, but as far as practical solutions go, pushing a button is about as practical as it gets for me.

You've tried having it recalibrated by ford, so I'm not sure what else to try.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Even though the Tow/Haul helps, it's not practical for me.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Anything else...
Did you try this:
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Disconnecting the negative lead and attempting to start the vehicle with the key should kill the KAM and send the transmission back through active learning.
If not, then I'm "at my wits end" with your willingness to try.

Unfortunately, even though the transmission is quite smart, it's also ALWAYS in learning mode. There are too many variables at play to determine what causes what, even though you are able to repeat it. Clear the memory from time to time and it should even out. I found that with my former truck that the frequency of flashes for tunes would keep the trans pretty happy as each flash would clear the KAM.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM
firemanjj82
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Did you try this:

If not, then I'm "at my wits end" with your willingness to try.

Unfortunately, even though the transmission is quite smart, it's also ALWAYS in learning mode. There are too many variables at play to determine what causes what, even though you are able to repeat it. Clear the memory from time to time and it should even out. I found that with my former truck that the frequency of flashes for tunes would keep the trans pretty happy as each flash would clear the KAM.
I dont know where you are coming from, suggesting I'm not willing to try. I'm attempting this today. We'll give it a go and see what happens. But when the post suggested that it "should" reset the KAM, then that doesn't give me much confidence.

Also, I believe I shouldn't have to reset anything on a $40k truck in order for it to work right. Especially when I hear no complaints from others.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
meborder
I dont think you hear many complaints because we've all gotten used to it.

One of those "just the way it is" kinda things.

Here's some of my thoughts on it

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...11-better.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-2010-xl.html

Do an advanced search in this forum for posts I've made about the transmissions in these trucks.... You'll find about 8 pages of stuff to go through. In there you'll see I've described fords adaptive shift strategy as "riding the short bus"

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

I just don't complain about it anymore ... It is what it is.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
firemanjj82
New User
I dont think you hear many complaints because we've all gotten used to it.

One of those "just the way it is" kinda things.

Here's some of my thoughts on it

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...11-better.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-2010-xl.html

Do an advanced search in this forum for posts I've made about the transmissions in these trucks.... You'll find about 8 pages of stuff to go through. In there you'll see I've described fords adaptive shift strategy as "riding the short bus"

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

I just don't complain about it anymore ... It is what it is.
Thanks for the info. I can only find so much on Google, so this helps.

Quick Reply: At My Wits End. 2014 F150 V8, Hard Shifts