Great truck, but what do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 AM
TrailKroozr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great truck, but what do I have?

OK, the used 2014 3.5L EcoBoost FX4 I just bought has a factory hitch and an integral OEM trailer brake controller in the instrument panel. It does not have the super-sized side mirrors. So, which trailer towing package do I have? Heavy duty?

How can I find the rear axel ratio?

If I have the heavy-duty trailer package, does that mean I also have the heavy-duty payload package by default?

Where can I find all this information on the vehicle? The VIN decoder I have I useless.

Thanks in advance......

Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
what is the axle code listed on the door cert.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
If you do not know the axle ratio of your vehicle, check its Truck Safety
Compliance Certification Label (located on the left front door lock
facing or the door latch post pillar). Below the bar code, you will see
the word AXLE and a two-digit code. Use this chart to find the axle
ratio that corresponds to that code:

Rear Axle.......Non-Limited........Limited.........Electric........
...Ratio...............Slip......................S lip............Locking.......
3.15......................15.....................N/A.................L5............
3.31......................27.....................N/A.................L3............
3.55......................19.....................H 9..................L9.............
3.73......................26.....................B 6..................L6.............
4.10......................N/A..................N/A.................L4............

All 4WD models include neutral tow functionality and maximum trailer tow packages
include an upgraded rear bumper and trailer tow mirrors.
So if you have standard mirrors, I'd have to deduce you do not have the max tow package.
It sounds to me like you have the F-150 (535) option package that the previous owner added an integrated brake controller.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM
TrailKroozr
Freshman User
Axel = L9 = 3.55. Build sheet...great!

Thanks

Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 AM
TrailKroozr
Freshman User
Looking at the build sheet, I have a 3.55 ratio (L9), "With 9.75" axel", "Less Elect Locking Differential". Nothing is mentioned about limited slip. I'm assuming that the truck has limited slip without electronic locking. Correct? What does 9.75" mean? distance from ground to bottom of differential?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
9.75 is the size of the differential.

You have an open differential. :less elect locking diff".

Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM
TrailKroozr
Freshman User
OK, that's the size of the ring, right? And "open" also means no limited slip?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
size of the ring gear is correct.

Yes an open diff according to the chart above.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TrailKroozr
Looking at the build sheet, I have a 3.55 ratio (L9), "With 9.75" axel", "Less Elect Locking Differential". Nothing is mentioned about limited slip. I'm assuming that the truck has limited slip without electronic locking. Correct? What does 9.75" mean? distance from ground to bottom of differential?

Different option packages sometimes overlap each other, and a certain item may be deleted from one package because it is included in another package that supersedes that one. To be sure you don't have a locking differential, check the 4x4 selector **** on your dash. Pulling that **** straight out engages the locker.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM
TrailKroozr
Freshman User
True...pulling the **** out is possible. Therefore, I assume I have a locking differential...just as the driver's door decal implies (L9), but unlike what the build sheet suggests.

So, is this locking diff also a limited-slip differential, or just a locking diff? (Truth is I'd rather have a limited-slip diff for most driving conditions.)

Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
pulling out the ****, does it actually engage the electronic diff? Do you get any warnings?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
No Locking & LS are two different beasts.

Locking "locks" both left & right axles together so they both turn at the same speed even going around corners.

LS will "slip" one axle when going around corners or if one axle is on solid ground and the other is say on ice so you could still be stuck.
The only time the LS will drive both axles is when both wheels have the same traction, both on ice/snow or solid ground.

They both have good and bad and need to take care when driving.
I ordered LS for both my new 4x4 trucks as 2 rear driving wheels are better than 1.
I also have a short wheel base car (96") with a Lock Right and in the rain you had to be on your game, dry going around corners under even a little power tires would make noise.
I also use a Detroit Locker in my drag car as you want to lock both axles together.

My .02
Dave ----

Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TrailKroozr
True...pulling the **** out is possible. Therefore, I assume I have a locking differential...just as the driver's door decal implies (L9), but unlike what the build sheet suggests.

So, is this locking diff also a limited-slip differential, or just a locking diff? (Truth is I'd rather have a limited-slip diff for most driving conditions.)

As Senix pointed out, you should get an indicator on the instrument console that the differential is locked.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:54 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
With an open differential if one wheel has no traction or is raised up off the ground you are "stuck". With a limited slip differential there is a cluck pack or similar arrangement with gears that will allow the inside wheel to "speed up". you will not get stuck unless the clutches / gears are damaged. A mechanical locker as in a Detroit Locker is the gear type it will let you turn a corner but is noisy in the gears slip to allow the inside wheel to slip if you are not under acceleration. The electronic locker has a dog gear just like a standard transmission that positively locks both axles together and allow no slip you can damage it with tight turns on a dry hard surface as in pavement or hard packed dirt. Straight ahead is no problem. It does work fairly well on snow, ice, mud or rain slick streets. but you will get some understeer as the front wheels will try to slide and not allow sharp turns.

Quick Reply: Great truck, but what do I have?