6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Easiest DEF delete ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Rooftop
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rkul
I deleted mine a few months ago. Purchased a MiniMaxx tuner and EGR/DEF/CAT delete pipe from Rudy's diesel (around $1K). It took two guys around 6 hrs (no rush) to complete the whole process. I decided to remove the cooler after a courtesy call to WI DMV and verifying that I do NOT need emission testing. That was in Oct 2016. Now the law has apparently changed and I can't renew plates without passing an emission test. Otherwise the truck's been running great since then, no issues yet (except for a death wobble). Although everyone claims an increase in MPG, mine dropped from 14.9 to 13.9 and staying there. I can't run a higher tune (still stock) since pyro readings cause the tuner to defuel (the OEM pyro probe doesn't communicate with MiniMaxx - readings vary from 32 up to 2600).
Btw did anyone have issues with passing emissions in WI?
If I pass I'll get new pyro kit from Rudy's, otherwise everything has to go back to stock I guess.
My guess is you used the pyro that was connected by one of the short exhaust tubes on top of the engine. I used the same one and it read erratic like yours. Found out you are supposed to take one of the egt probes off the exhaust you removed. There is like four of them on there. Once I put that one on it worked as intended.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Rooftop
Mountain Pass
Tuning

OP I would call rudys diesel and ask them how they handle warranty work on the tuners they sell. Should get all the info you need. Also the guys at no limit fabrication are helpful.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:52 PM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
NDE you still need to delete

Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
evidently emissions testing in my area has changed sense the last time i looked into this , inspection stations are now required to do a visual inspection top to bottom , this really sucks. I was told a story today about a local guy that just got a fine for $10,000 for having his truck deleted . I find it kind of hard to believe that the fine was 10grand , but like i said it was a story, could be true of false info. Anyway I guess I have some decisions to make about this delete I want to do . This makes me so angry .

Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Rooftop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 99FORD EXPY.
evidently emissions testing in my area has changed sense the last time i looked into this , inspection stations are now required to do a visual inspection top to bottom , this really sucks. I was told a story today about a local guy that just got a fine for $10,000 for having his truck deleted . I find it kind of hard to believe that the fine was 10grand , but like i said it was a story, could be true of false info. Anyway I guess I have some decisions to make about this delete I want to do . This makes me so angry .
I can imagine they try and scare you with a 10k fine but as long as you comply with whatever they ask you to do I am sure you would be fine. I kept all my emissions stuff just in case. It would suck to have to put it back on. It's unbelievable how different your truck is with it off.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 PM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear you, this engine is amazing once it's allowed to breath. Anyone who says they are just as good with that crap emissions system has never enjoyed it without I'm guessing. I will never own another diesel with that crap. I will go back to gas if deletes are ever outlawed. Luckily my area had no testing and my local dealers are pretty delete friendly. So far 50k thou and no warranty issues whatsoever. Most modern tunes don't "roll coal" either, they are usually pretty clean. I have to try really hard to see any smoke and I'm not even running the smoke limited tune I have.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 PM
BOHAWG175
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99FORD EXPY.

I just researched this. While I cannot comment on the fine....you indeed have to go through a visual inspection where you live. Here we go......You can hallow out the factory exhaust pipe. Just make it look as standard as possible. EGR is tougher. You have a whole host of inspection sites in your area.......go talk to them and get an idea of how tough they are.....many or mom and pops so a case of Yuengling falling out of your tailgate may help.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 PM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
Originally Posted by BOHAWG175
I just researched this. While I cannot comment on the fine....you indeed have to go through a visual inspection where you live. Here we go......You can hallow out the factory exhaust pipe. Just make it look as standard as possible. EGR is tougher. You have a whole host of inspection sites in your area.......go talk to them and get an idea of how tough they are.....many or mom and pops so a case of Yuengling falling out of your tailgate may help.
that is exactly what i will be doing this weekend , a case of cold ones can go a long way.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by UGA33
It really unclutters the passenger side of the engine bay! If you want to do it really right, get the Ford factory EGR delete kit!

Anybody here actually install this kit? I've seen it mentioned several times but haven't seen anybody actually install it.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rubiconrod
Anybody here actually install this kit? I've seen it mentioned several times but haven't seen anybody actually install it.
Looks like UGA33 did

Old 02-15-2017, 01:41 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
I wonder what's different about the 15-16 EGR that won't allow that OEM delete kit to work?

Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Name:  IMG_0212_zpsarrsxhlt.jpeg
Views: 44591
Size:  79.3 KB

Looks like the coolant source changed, and a temp sensor was added.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:29 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Thanks Superdave! So I guess the block off plates would be the same, but a full delete would be different for the 15-16.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
Out of curiosity, anyone run with a large Donaldson muffler in place?
I second this question. If I remember correctly they have a muffler that's almost an exact fit to replace the stock system. I wouldn't mind a minimal increase in exhaust sound but don't want anything loud and for sure no increase in the inside of the cab noise.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Rooftop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by doczenith1
I second this question. If I remember correctly they have a muffler that's almost an exact fit to replace the stock system. I wouldn't mind a minimal increase in exhaust sound but don't want anything loud and for sure no increase in the inside of the cab noise.
I opted for the straight pipe to see how loud it was. Minimal noise in cab if any. Noise by exhaust is noticeably louder but in a good way. Not obnoxious but you definitely hear the turbo. I like it.

Quick Reply: Easiest DEF delete ?