Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire problems with ford trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 12:53 PM
BurnedBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a recall on 88-91 ford vehicles. the ignitions switches melt, and cause potential fire problems. many have already been replaced by the dealer, but many have been replaced with faulty units. mine was replaced with a faulty unit, and i lost my bronco, that i had spent tons of time and money fixing. this is what it is, and this is what it is now.
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/14-624001-ontherockledge.jpg[/img]

http://forums.mybigbronco.com/iB_html/uploads/post-60900-ford_ignitions.jpg[/img]
now i got a 92 351, detroit, with dana 44 solid w/ARB 36x14.50 TSL radials. waiting on 8 inch lift.

Old 12-16-2001, 01:43 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure the fire started at the switch ? There is also a problem with the rectifier connection on the alternator that has caused numerous Ford truck fires if its not caught & repaired . If you got the revised ignition switch from Ford it should have been fine . What yr was your Bronco ? If the fire damage is more intense under the hood & on the right side of the vehicle , Esp the wiring off the alternator then its a safe bet thats where the fire began . Sorry you lost your truck .

Old 12-16-2001, 02:07 PM
bozzchem
Freshman User

WOW!! I should have read your post before posting mine. I think there is something faulty with my '88 F-150 ignition switch. It works 99% of the time but when it doesn't, it acts completely dead. No juice to the starter or anything. I haven't smelled anything yet but knowing about the recall, I have been "sniffing" for anything out of the norm.

How did yours catch fire? Did you turn the switch and walla?? Was there any warning whatsoever? The reason I ask is that my 8.5 month pregnant wife is using my truck while her car is in the shop. She would be far less likely to realize something was wrong than I would.

Damn, I need to find out if mine was replaced or not.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 12-16-2001, 02:11 PM
BurnedBronco
New User

it was the igniton switch. the engine didn't even get the belts burnt off, so it didnt start there,
it went up parked in the garage at 1 am. on our video survalience the first thing on the tape before the fire got going, you could here the truck start up mysteriously.(really loud exhaust) it was an 89

http://forums.mybigbronco.com/iB_html/uploads/post-60900-ford_ignitions.jpg[/img]
now i got a 92 351, detroit, with dana 44 solid w/ARB 36x14.50 TSL radials. waiting on 8 inch lift.

Old 12-16-2001, 07:45 PM
J_U_S_T_I_N
New User

I burned up a 91 4x4 sb driving down the road. Engine light came on and it quit and I got out and saw flames under the truck then it just burnt right up. Funny thing is my dad burned one up the same way. We still drive fords, but they sure are prone to catch fire.

Old 12-16-2001, 08:15 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys, I'm all of a sudden real interested in this one. I have an 88 F-250.
How do we tell if the switch has been replace?
Other than the fact that we still have the Vehicle?

I've had numerous Alternators on the poor old thing.

Old 12-16-2001, 08:54 PM
JW 4x4
Senior User

Just out of curiousity, is there any salvageable parts? I might be interested in your front bumper if its not in too bad of shape. My email is joe1080@cgate.net. Let me know! Thanks

-J.W.

Old 12-16-2001, 10:25 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford should have a record if the vehicle had the igntion switched replaced . If you all bought a used Ford truck & are unsure , Ford , I believe would have kept a record using the VIN of the truck .

Thudpucker , If the alternators are Auto Zone brand , that would explain a lot of it . Regardless , Check the rectifier plug on the alternator , If it shows any signs of being melted then replace it . The regulator plugs can show signs of heat damage , but its usually the rectifier plug . Plus Ford recommends all connections on the alternator have dielectric grease on them . If you buy a Ford Alt it will come with the already installed on the Alt connections .

Old 12-16-2001, 11:16 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, thanks for the Tip.
I believe I looked closley at those plugs when I had to replace the Alt the First time. I put an NAPA, one year guarentee, and when I'd put the fourth one on, I told them they didn't need a guarentee for any more than a few months.

With the 2nd alt. I put on a Regulator, and both batteries.

NAPA thinks it might be the Trailer Brake wiring, and I did find a problem there, but I had put two Alternators on before the Trailer Brake went on. Three since.

It's OK. I get a little warning, the lite glows when I'm coming down off a high speed run, and eventually it gets so bad the light is coming on if the RPM's arent above 2 Grand. I usually change it when it gets that bad.

Old 12-17-2001, 06:11 AM
BurnedBronco
New User

the bumpers going on my 92 straight axle at christmas time with the straight axle.

Old 12-17-2001, 09:01 AM
Pastmaster
Postmaster