1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'79 Camper Special 4x4 - MAKING IT MINE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Quote: Thanks, Im thinking the same thing. I have a new performer intake sitting on the shelf that I was going to use on another build. As far as tires, Im lucky that my buddy just put new "classic look" firestones on it last year. They have about 1k miles. I was thinking about a 4 inch lift and 35's with a classy black wheel to accent the black stripe inside the racetrack trim that is going on.(End Quote)

Your a man after my own heart! Awesome plan.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 AM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Congrats

Heliguy,

Allow me to also congratulate you on your acquisition. Speaking from my perch, don't believe I'd change much, if anything. Always been partial to coco brown and your rig reminds me of my cousin's 78 that was very similar to yours. Although I fully support personalizing your rig, i.e., hanging from the rear view mirror an Indian Arrow Head, or Star of David, or small Rosary or Rabbit's foot.

Know the Ford Dealer your 79 was delivered at, hunted along the canal back in the mid 70s. Should you decide you want to part with it, I'd welcome an opportunity to see if we could strike a mutual agreement. Enjoy and again congratulations.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Rodeobina
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caliRangerXLT
I suggest grinning often and for long durations. Beautiful truck.
I agree with you on this statement!

Old 01-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Rodeobina
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I'm pretty stoked about it also and really like the history, originality of it.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:51 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodeobina
Thanks for all the input! I'm pretty stoked about it also and really like the history, originality of it.
So how often are you bugging him to let you drive that sweet ? And if you can't yet drive a stick, are you bugging him to teach you? These trucks are super easy to learn on. With that granny first gear all you have to do is slowly let the clutch out. The truck will do the rest. Ne need to touch the gas. Unless you want to try and smack both yours and Jims head off the back window.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:02 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gijazbo
An interesting tid bit. Your truck was bought originally about 25 minutes from my childhood home. Valley ford is still in business as well. If your at all interested, i can have someone pick you up one of their dealer stickers for the tailgate if your into that kind of thing.
Another slight thread hijack, sorry. I think that's a great idea. For my truck, I'd like to do something similar. I grew up in Torrance, California. I would like to put on my truck a license plate frame from the Ford dealership that used to be in Torrance when I was a kid, Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford. I remember going to that dealership with my dad when I was a kid, when he'd buy parts for his '66 F250. That dealership used to sponsor dragsters and funny cars back in the heyday of drag racing, including a funny car driven by Danny Ongais. I've search off and on over the years, but I've never found anything. Anybody know where I can find a "Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford" license plate frame? I know they exist. I saw one on an old Mustang back in the late 80's. That dealership is long gone.

We now bring you back to your regular programming.
Awesome truck, BTW. I think that is so cool that you have all of that documentation!

Old 01-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Mini thread highjack.

I flew from Camp Stanley to Camp Mobile (when it had Cobra's and Blackhawks) and to Camp Casey/CRC almost daily back in 95-96 and then 98-99.
No kidding! Pilot? Crew Chief? I went to CRC a couple times.

Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Add a/c=ok, efi=no opinion. race track chrome on a 4x4, I wouldn't. Get rid of the 16.5s would be on my list. I'm not a fan of huge tires tho. I would go with some stock 90s 7 inch wide steelys, 265/285-75-16 tires and find a set of stock stainless center caps.
And while I realize those old farm truck trannys are a pita in traffic, I'd keep it 3 pedals.
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to keep the 3 Speed. Im getting used to it now and its not too bad.

Originally Posted by unilover6163
Beautiful truck you have. You have a great friend!

I agree that adding the race track trim is mildly unfavorable mainly because of the holes necessary to install clips and such. More holes mean more opportunity for future rust and paint deterioration. If installed though, the trim sure does dress up the look of those trucks and that is nice too. Your truck = your choice!

Alternator upgrade/wiring upgrade good choice.

More modern 16" wheels are a good choice away from the 16.5" factory ones.

Australian ('aussie') 2V Cleveland heads are a great upgrade for your 351M/400 engine, especially if you're experiencing the dreaded pinging-detonation those engine are prone to having.

Those are great rock-solid rigs, hard to beat the way they were factory built.

Love your truck! Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions, all good advice, think Ill start looking for those heads as Im dealing with pinging a little now.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:37 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliguy
No kidding! Pilot? Crew Chief?
Crewchief all the way!

Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
Heliguy,

Allow me to also congratulate you on your acquisition. Speaking from my perch, don't believe I'd change much, if anything. Always been partial to coco brown and your rig reminds me of my cousin's 78 that was very similar to yours. Although I fully support personalizing your rig, i.e., hanging from the rear view mirror an Indian Arrow Head, or Star of David, or small Rosary or Rabbit's foot.

Know the Ford Dealer your 79 was delivered at, hunted along the canal back in the mid 70s. Should you decide you want to part with it, I'd welcome an opportunity to see if we could strike a mutual agreement. Enjoy and again congratulations.
No kidding! Small world.

Originally Posted by paredneck33
So how often are you bugging him to let you drive that sweet ? And if you can't yet drive a stick, are you bugging him to teach you? These trucks are super easy to learn on. With that granny first gear all you have to do is slowly let the clutch out. The truck will do the rest. Ne need to touch the gas. Unless you want to try and smack both yours and Jims head off the back window.
Ha.... Shes driving her sweet rig too much, no time to get in mine. Actually, she drive a stick quite well, we've had a couple in the past.

Originally Posted by NorthwestX360
Another slight thread hijack, sorry. I think that's a great idea. For my truck, I'd like to do something similar. I grew up in Torrance, California. I would like to put on my truck a license plate frame from the Ford dealership that used to be in Torrance when I was a kid, Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford. I remember going to that dealership with my dad when I was a kid, when he'd buy parts for his '66 F250. That dealership used to sponsor dragsters and funny cars back in the heyday of drag racing, including a funny car driven by Danny Ongais. I've search off and on over the years, but I've never found anything. Anybody know where I can find a "Vel's Parnelli Jones Ford" license plate frame? I know they exist. I saw one on an old Mustang back in the late 80's. That dealership is long gone.

We now bring you back to your regular programming.
Awesome truck, BTW. I think that is so cool that you have all of that documentation!
Ha.. No worries. Good luck finding that frame. Maybe eBay?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
So guys, finally started driving this beauty and shes fighting back a little after her long sleep in my buddys garage....

Took her to town this morning and filled up the side tank. Got home and noticed a puddle of fuel. Found that the hose that goes from the sending unit to the metal fuel hose was SHOT! Think it was the original. All fixed now.

Tonight, took it to pick up dinner and the throttle kept sticking. It felt like the high idle kept engaging. Id have to quickly hit the pedal and it would drop back down. Strange.

Other than that, I love this thing!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
It sounds like the carb might be gummed up from sitting with old gas in the fuel bowls. Might be best to do a rebuild on that sooner rather then later. Also watch out for stumbling and coughing as that is a sign that the gaskets in the carb are shot.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
- Well fellas, I struggled with what I was going to do to this truck for the last 2 weeks but I think Ive figured it out. I drove it to work for 2 days and it rattled, was a little sloppy, throttle kept sticking, and it left a little oil every where I parked it - all normal and expected for an original truck that has been rarely driven for the last decade. I decided that I was to make this a daily driver so it needs some updates and I want to do it right. So, I am pulling the motor, tranny, and transfer case to replace the seals and give them a good look over and a paint job. I have an edlebrock intake and carb sitting on the shelf that I am also going to use. I am going to use a MarkVIII fan with the Champion Radiator and the 3G alt upgrade. Ive contacted Classic Auto Air and Ill be getting one of their aftermarket universal kits. Im also considering a 4 inch lift as the stock ride is a little low, lower than my wifes stock 78 F150 4x4. Of coarse, after the lift, Ill need new wheels and tires, thinking about black wheels maybe to give the plain brown paint job a little contrast.

So, today we parked her in the shop and started the tear down. Luckily I haven't found anything unexpected so far.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM
fordmotorsports1
Senior User
Wow, wasn't expecting that so soon.... looks like it's going to be more awesome whenever you get it done!!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmotorsports1
Wow, wasn't expecting that so soon.... looks like it's going to be more awesome whenever you get it done!!!!
Ha.. I swear, I was just going to change the oil and then......

Look what I found inside my ignition module. OLD dirt dauber nest. Funny, ran fine.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 PM
fordmotorsports1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Heliguy
Ha.. I swear, I was just going to change the oil and then......

Look what I found inside my ignition module. OLD dirt dauber nest. Funny, ran fine.

It's a disease, you need to be treated quickly!!!!

Quick Reply: '79 Camper Special 4x4 - MAKING IT MINE!