Confused how a F250 can pull a 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Ironmanathlete
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused how a F250 can pull a 5th wheel

Just looking for assurance that I understand this correctly.

i just bought a '16 F250 6.7 cc 8' bed E rated tires camper/plow package, 10k gvwr etc, 4x4, antisway

my capacity is 2136# on the sticker. So if I were looking to tow a 5th wheel of say 10,000#, and assuming a 20% pin weight, it alone would put me at or over my payload??

I know now some of the shorter beds and 4x2's have more capacity, but how does anyone tow these things in lieu of the aforementioned?

The charts say max 5th wheel of 12,100# and a max pulling weight of 15,100#, but how do you get around being seemingly over on the pin weight? I'm confused.

Thr max rear axle weight is 6100.

Thanks in advance, sorry that this has been asked before. I'm interested in those with my truck or understand the confusion

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Reading the thread immediately below yours discussing the lack of difference between f250 and f350 might prove helpful.

Steve

Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread may also prove helpful: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ey-begins.html

Also, check this out:

Old 01-10-2017, 12:41 AM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ironmanathlete

i just bought a '16 F250 6.7 cc 8' bed E rated tires camper/plow package, 10k gvwr etc, 4x4, antisway

my capacity is 2136# on the sticker. So if I were looking to tow a 5th wheel of say 10,000#, and assuming a 20% pin weight, it alone would put me at or over my payload??

I know now some of the shorter beds and 4x2's have more capacity, but how does anyone tow these things in lieu of the aforementioned?

The charts say max 5th wheel of 12,100# and a max pulling weight of 15,100#, but how do you get around being seemingly over on the pin weight? I'm confused.

The max rear axle weight is 6100.

Thanks in advance, sorry that this has been asked before. I'm interested in those with my truck or understand the confusion
You need to weigh your trailer, setup and loaded as you plan to use it, and find out how much pin weight it has when level. Don't assume.

I'm looking at page 18 of the Ford MY16 RV & Travel Trailer Towing Guide.

For the F250 Crew Cab 4x4, equipped with a 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel, it shows a Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight of 12,100 pounds for Conventional (Bumper Pull) towing.

it shows a Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight of 15,100 pounds for 5th Wheel/ Gooseneck Towing.

Underneath the table under Notes:

Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10-15% (15-25% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle.

Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the
vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15% of 15,100 pounds is 2,265 pounds of pin weight. That is the minimum pin weight that a 15,100 pound fifth wheel should have.

You said your Compliance Label shows 2,136 pounds of payload capacity. Your vehicle probably has around 130 pounds of factory options, over the base vehicle. Remember, this table shows the Maximum trailer weight, if all things are optimum. Your trailer may fit within the Ford recommended limits for your tow vehicle, depending on its pin weight.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
15,100 GVW of a trailer I would figure closer to 20% for king pin wt, or about 3K lbs.

I would go off of the tire and axle ratings and not worry about the door cert.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Ironmanathlete
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for the responses. The explanation of the numbers helps my understanding. I'm just trying to be responsible and do research, prior to getting into something that I can't pull

Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
What Senix said.

An F250 SRW is pretty much an F350 SRW with a different label to summarize much of the preceeding.

Steve

Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
What Senix said.

An F250 SRW is pretty much an F350 SRW with a different label to summarize much of the preceeding.

Steve
and good to know..

but dealing with Truck envy..
a 350 Dually is Sweet not needed in my case.

my 250 Gas.. 1,500 in bed of truck AND 9,000 pounds of travel trailer. no issues in REAL or numbers.
,, my trailer grabs alot of Air..

Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
and good to know..

but dealing with Truck envy..
a 350 Dually is Sweet not needed in my case.

my 250 Gas.. 1,500 in bed of truck AND 9,000 pounds of travel trailer. no issues in REAL or numbers.
,, my trailer grabs alot of Air..
What is the pin weight on that trailer?

---

I was trying to explain how the tables, and fine print work in the trailer towing guide. First thing, I made clear he should get accurate loaded pin weight to guide in what he was actually dealing with.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Yes.....they are sweet!!! again, disregard time stamp

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD
What is the pin weight on that trailer?

---

I was trying to explain how the tables, and fine print work in the trailer towing guide. First thing, I made clear he should get accurate loaded pin weight to guide in what he was actually dealing with.
1,200 pounds...

and 1,500 in bed of truck..
my truck can carry 3,600 pounds on rear axle.
and tow 10,000. per yellow tag.

total weight of 17,000

Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 AM
William Grayson
New User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
15,100 GVW of a trailer I would figure closer to 20% for king pin wt, or about 3K lbs.

I would go off of the tire and axle ratings and not worry about the door cert.
I would add; Your truck is rated at stock configuration. If you change tires, wheels, or suspension components, your truck may not be able to safely tow as much as the label states. Depending on your modifications, it may safely tow more. But, you can’t change the door decal to reflect the modifications. That is a big deal for some people.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:43 AM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
I just wanted to say my two cents. We should be talking about the LEGAL numbers. Anyone can tow illegally. It is their choice of towing legally and being safe. It is not just about your safety, but others on the road when someone tows illegally and an accident happens. It underlines the importance of looking at your numbers before purchasing a truck (and trailer). The payload capacity on the door jam as set by the manufacturer can never be increased legally (some will decrease the stated capacity at their DMV in order to reduce the cost of insurance or registration). The manufacturer downgrade is simply a numbers change by the manufacturer. But once done by the manufacturer, it can never be increased. There is lots of angst on half ton owners, three-quarter ton owners, and even 1 ton owners about how much payload capacity for towing a fifth wheel they have available. I would say from what I see, half ton and three quarter ton owners should not be towing a fifth wheel in order to be under their payload capacity. And if towing a heavier fifth wheel, will need to have a dually truck. Also, the more options that is put in the truck, the less payload capacity the truck will have. The tables that the manufacturer has on their websites or guides only, the only payload capacity that matters when towing is the one that the truck comes with. So it is possible to plan from the guides, but if you plan using this and going near the maximum, likely you will actually be over. A long bed is better for stability. A dually is better for stability than a single wheel axle. There are quite a few good videos on youtube that explain the numbers, how to figure them out, and what worked for that owner. A good idea is to run your rig over a scale after you are on the road to check everything. Most owners understand the towing capacity but many get the payload wrong. I just want to everyone to understand the issues and chose wisely when towing.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 PM
xrated
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ironmanathlete

Thr max rear axle weight is 6100.

In answer to your question. Those max numbers are possible with the right trailer...let me explain. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY....5th wheel "CAMPING TRAILER", it says fifth wheel trailer. So let's look at what is going on. A typical 5ver camping trailer is going to put approx 20% of its weight on the truck as pin weight. It can and does sometimes run a little higher than 20%, but that is a good number for a close estimation. So, you are correct, that 10,000 lb camper is going to put you right at your payload capacity on your truck.

Now let's switch gears and you are looking at a flat bed utility trailer to haul your Bobcat or tractor on. We'll use the same numbers of 10,000 lbs. Let's say the empty trailer weighs 3000 and the equipment weighs 7000 lbs. The big difference is that you can load that equipment in the very front of the trailer or you can load it centered over the axles or you can load it towards the back of the trailer....the choice is yours. Each one of those three location of the equipment will cause a different pin weight being put on the truck. Front loading will obviously cause a higher pin weight than over the axles. Over the axles will be higher than loading in the rear. So if you have an F250 exactly like you truck, front loading is most likely out of the question. So you scale the trailer with the equipment loaded over the trailer's axles and you are maybe a little over...maybe a little under. So you decide to load it maybe another couple of feet rearward. Now your pin weight is going to work for your payload capacity of your truck. It's all about load placement on the trailer.......BUT, with the 5ver camping trailer loaded and ready to camp, the pin weight basically is what it is. Sure, you can move things around inside a little bit, but probably not enough to make much difference on the camping trailer's pin weight on your truck.

So back to what I said in the beginning, the manufacturers NEVER state 5th wheel CAMPING TRAILER, just 5th wheel trailer and now you know how they can do the max weight numbers and not be lying about them.

And the bottom line is that EVERY ONE of the truck manufacturers will clearly state in the accompanying owner's manual to Never exceed ANY of the listed weight capacities. That includes GVWR, GCVWR, RAWR, FAWR, Payload rating, and finally, the tire load capacity.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
Guy's this thread is going on 2.5 years old. I'm sure the OP is long gone.

Quick Reply: Confused how a F250 can pull a 5th wheel