1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 F250 frame swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very talented - I looked at a few of your YouTube videos this morning and Ill definitely be looking at more. Whats that status of the 69 build ? I see you now have an all white 71 in its final stages. Im really inspired by what you get done in a single family size garage. Ive watched a total of 4 videos and there has been an airplane fly over in 3 of them and a large delivery truck drive by in the other. oh yeah and a small kid peeing on your sidewalk. Very Funny.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
nathankershaw
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman75
I'm subscribed to your Youtube channel. And have enjoyed watching your bumpside F100 builds. You won't find much love here for frame swaps. Most of the guys hear try to talk people out of doing it. But I've seen what you've done with your bumpside trucks. So I know this shouldn't be an issue for you. It's well within your skill level.

I think the 96-2001 Explorer would be the best choice. They were available with the V8 ( something the Ranger didn't offer ) . And they have the disc brake 8.8" rear diff. The wheel base is a little shorter then a 53-56 F100 short box. But if you are cutting the box down anyways then that doesn't really matter.

Here's some pics of one.

I have seen this done to a few 53-56 F100's. I saw a couple real clean swaps where they used the Explorer chassis with the Explorer firewall and floor. Like you did with the Crown Vic on your orange F100.

But I wouldn't use the dash out of the Explorer. The newer dashes look horrible in the 50's trucks. So I would mate the lower Explorer firewall to the upper F100 firewall. That way you keep the cool original 50's dash but have all the newer chassis and drivetrain parts. And since the floor of your 53 is rusty using the Explorer floor would be a good choice. Then you'll just have to patch up the F100's rocker and lower door post.

If you prefer the 4.6L over the older 5.0L/302 V8 or V6 then check out the 2002 + Explorers. These also have the IRS set up in them. But you will have to check the wheel base, track width and frame width on one in the junk yard to make sure it will work.

Here's the only pic I have of the newer Explorer chassis.

Thank you for the kind words.

The main reason I'm leaning away from the 95-01 Expo is that I don't like torsion bar suspension.
It's perfect apart from that.

I can always put a V8 in the Ranger frame...that's my thinking...

The later Expo is really nice, I love the IRS but the firewall is too wide for me to use without relocating a lot of things & that's not really something I want to do.

I have an idea for a motor some time down the road that's completely out of left field...I'll kepp that to myself for now though

Old 01-12-2017, 11:04 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by nathankershaw
Thank you for the kind words.

The main reason I'm leaning away from the 95-01 Expo is that I don't like torsion bar suspension.
It's perfect apart from that.

I can always put a V8 in the Ranger frame...that's my thinking...

The later Expo is really nice, I love the IRS but the firewall is too wide for me to use without relocating a lot of things & that's not really something I want to do.

I have an idea for a motor some time down the road that's completely out of left field...I'll kepp that to myself for now though
Doing a chassis swap and then an engine swap, into the chassis you are going to swap in, is kind of a waste isn't it? It kind of defeats the purpose of the chassis swap. If you are doing that why not keep the stock 53 frame and pick up another 2003+ Crown Vic. Then just swap the engine, transmission & front suspension onto the stock frame? The CV front crossmember makes it pretty simple. It's almost a bolt in swap. Then pick up a disc brake Explorer rear diff & suspension to swap in.

Another choice on the Explorer chassis is convert the front suspension over to air ride or coil overs. That gets rid of the torsion bars. and should be a whole lot simpler then a engine swap.

Please don't say your planned engine is a LS engine.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:46 PM
nathankershaw
Junior User
Doing a chassis swap and then an engine swap, into the chassis you are going to swap in, is kind of a waste isn't it? It kind of defeats the purpose of the chassis swap. If you are doing that why not keep the stock 53 frame and pick up another 2003+ Crown Vic. Then just swap the engine, transmission & front suspension onto the stock frame? The CV front crossmember makes it pretty simple. It's almost a bolt in swap. Then pick up a disc brake Explorer rear diff & suspension to swap in.

Another choice on the Explorer chassis is convert the front suspension over to air ride or coil overs. That gets rid of the torsion bars. and should be a whole lot simpler then a engine swap.

Please don't say your planned engine is a LS engine.
HaHa! no...no LS for me...I do like them, they're just still to expensive for me.

I did think about the possibility of converting an Explorer to coilovers but the front shock mounts would have top be re-made for strength.

The reason why I tend to go for the full frame swap is because I prefer to join metal together as opposed to plumb, wire & fiddle etc.
With a newer frame that's all done, wired & plumbed...with technology thats 50 years newer.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by nathankershaw
HaHa! no...no LS for me...I do like them, they're just still to expensive for me.

I did think about the possibility of converting an Explorer to coilovers but the front shock mounts would have top be re-made for strength.

The reason why I tend to go for the full frame swap is because I prefer to join metal together as opposed to plumb, wire & fiddle etc.
With a newer frame that's all done, wired & plumbed...with technology thats 50 years newer.
Fabbing or modifying shock mounts is a whole lot easier then doing an engine swap. Isn't it? If the entire Explorer chassis is a good set up for you except for one item. It seems like changing the one item is a simpler solution then an engine swap.

You do know swapping engines on a Ranger chassis is going to require a whole lot of plumbing, wiring and fiddling! You would be swapping an engine into a chassis that it was never available with ( no matter which engine you went with ) . Swapping the Crown Vic stuff onto the 53 frame is pretty simple. And you are keeping all the CV tech except the frame rails themselves. The stock frame has lived over 60 years so it'll handle the upgrades.

But it's your truck, I'm just offering some more choices. I'll keep watching your vids ( unless you swap in an engine that's not a Ford ) .

Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
There are guys who hate frame swaps, but these are just cars so do what you want as you like for you!
I did a frame swap on my 1937 Buick because I thought it would be a time savings over updating the frame, but that was based on my limited fabrication knowledge at the time.
After learning more I found that at least in my case doing the frame swap was actually a LOT more work than just updating an original chassis with modern suspension and running gear, so from now on for me I will lean towards updating an original frame.

This car has the frame swap

Name:  2007_zps07f04f0d.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  115.7 KB

This truck has an updated original frame

Name:  629_zpspwxjxcfg.jpg
Views: 3719
Size:  245.7 KB

Good luck either way!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 PM
nathankershaw
Junior User
Fabbing or modifying shock mounts is a whole lot easier then doing an engine swap. Isn't it? If the entire Explorer chassis is a good set up for you except for one item. It seems like changing the one item is a simpler solution then an engine swap.

You do know swapping engines on a Ranger chassis is going to require a whole lot of plumbing, wiring and fiddling! You would be swapping an engine into a chassis that it was never available with ( no matter which engine you went with ) . Swapping the Crown Vic stuff onto the 53 frame is pretty simple. And you are keeping all the CV tech except the frame rails themselves. The stock frame has lived over 60 years so it'll handle the upgrades.

But it's your truck, I'm just offering some more choices. I'll keep watching your vids ( unless you swap in an engine that's not a Ford ) .
lol!

The truck will start out with a Ford motor & then in time will be swapped with either another Ford motor or a ...Ford...ish motor...Ford family

Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM
nathankershaw
Junior User
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
There are guys who hate frame swaps, but these are just cars so do what you want as you like for you!
I did a frame swap on my 1937 Buick because I thought it would be a time savings over updating the frame, but that was based on my limited fabrication knowledge at the time.
After learning more I found that at least in my case doing the frame swap was actually a LOT more work than just updating an original chassis with modern suspension and running gear, so from now on for me I will lean towards updating an original frame.

This car has the frame swap

This truck has an updated original frame

Good luck either way!
Your vehicles look great!

What frame did you use under the Buick?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Buick has an S10 chassis, which was the hot ticket at the time (maybe still is?) but no more of them for me.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:42 AM
nathankershaw
Junior User
Episode 2 is here!!

Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
You gotta find a helper!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is no wonder you have back problems, but you deserve an "A+" for effort, thats for sure. I will say you accomplish more with manual tools than many with an
air compressor and air tools. Im looking forward to future episodes.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow! I'm wore out from watching you Nathan! You also are making me feel guilty that my shop is 30' x 40' with a tractor and bobcat. I still find myself trying to do way to much myself. Please take it easy!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
I am sure it will end up a nice truck, but doing a frame swap and then doing a drive train update is so much more work than if you had saved and updated that original frame.
I cant believe you cut it in half, that frame could of been updated suspension wise front and back in a couple weekends and the cab wouldn't even of had to come off.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I just watch a 17 minute video of a guy removing a cab and moving a frame around and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You do know, if I were to say that anywhere else I would probably be locked up.

Why did you choose to remove the cab and frame before removing the engine? I would have thought it would have been much easier to get the engine and transmission out first.

Quick Reply: 53 F250 frame swap.