6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Had a very tough time driving in the snow - thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a very tough time driving in the snow - thoughts ?

I did a lot of front end work listed below. My 4x4 was broken which of course made it harder driving in the snow but here are a few things I had issues with,

1. When I went to turn, the truck hard trouble turning and wanted to slide straight.

2. When I was sitting in traffic... the truck kept "sliding" off the road. I would be still and then the truck would start sliding....yet the cars/trucks infront/behind me didn't slide.

What could be the causes of this ?

Some of the front end work I did was,

> Ball joints
> New drag link
> New steering rods

I'm pretty sure my alignment is "decent".

Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Tires for one. Put some sand bags in the rear over the axle. 200 pounds should do it

Old 12-05-2016, 05:43 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
That's a tires problem. What tires do you have, how old are they, and what kind of shape are they in? Tread siping is particularly important for gripping slick surfaces.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tires are definitely the issue....I had junk tires on my Cummins and exactly the same issue.....I had brand new tires Cooper Discoverer AT/3's on my Duramax and they sucked too....I have yokohamas on my 6.0 and drove it in the snow twice and the truck never ever had an issue.

If the truck will be 2wd for the winter, I would throw a set of studded snows on the back(if your state allows it) and you'll be amazed

Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
Tires are definitely the issue....I had junk tires on my Cummins and exactly the same issue.....I had brand new tires Cooper Discoverer AT/3's on my Duramax and they sucked too....I have yokohamas on my 6.0 and drove it in the snow twice and the truck never ever had an issue.

If the truck will be 2wd for the winter, I would throw a set of studded snows on the back(if your state allows it) and you'll be amazed
Thanks.

1. My hub lock broke so the new one is coming in this week.

2. I attached some pictures I just took of my tires now - seems like decent thread... am I missing something ? Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
What kind of tires? Nittos? Stock size?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A limited slip will act like a locker. Both rear wheels will push you thru things. As for the rear sliding at a stop soinds as if the rear brakes need to be adjusted. The rear tires are turning while your sitting at the light stopped. You will only have this happen in really slick situations. Weight in the rear helps but i think the limited slip is causing most of the issue turning think of how a tractor turns and why theu use cutting breaks

Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
A limited slip will act like a locker. Both rear wheels will push you thru things. As for the rear sliding at a stop soinds as if the rear brakes need to be adjusted. The rear tires are turning while your sitting at the light stopped. You will only have this happen in really slick situations. Weight in the rear helps but i think the limited slip is causing most of the issue turning think of how a tractor turns and why theu use cutting breaks
I think I know why... correct me if I am wrong.

I bought new brake pads online.. the front pads were far thicker than the rear.

Wouldn't it be safe to assume since the front pads are thicker than the rear.. once I am stopped the rear pads aren't "gripping" as much as the front ?

Also, the ABS brakes kept activating very easily this morning in the snow.

Is this all related ?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Tires. Could it be your brakes?? Maybe but I bet it's your tires. What PSI are your tires??? I bet they are over inflated. Try taking your truck to a tire shop that can sip all 4 of your tires for better traction. If all those things are done with no improvement, I would say that your tires aren't good for snowy conditions, most likely due to the compound(Betting that when cold it gets too hard). Anyways, let us know man!

Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Stocki
I think I know why... correct me if I am wrong.

I bought new brake pads online.. the front pads were far thicker than the rear.

Wouldn't it be safe to assume since the front pads are thicker than the rear.. once I am stopped the rear pads aren't "gripping" as much as the front ?

Also, the ABS brakes kept activating very easily this morning in the snow.

Is this all related ?

Thanks
At these low speeds, all of this is about the rubber's grip. Sounds like the rubber on those tires might be too hard to grab.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
I doubt it has anything to do with your new brakes......

Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
I think it's the tires fellas.

I went outside the get the exact specs. Then googled some reviews and a lot of people complained about how bad the snow traction was.....

Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 329 Likes on 114 Posts
It'll be the rubber compound then. I switched to name brands years ago and actually save money, a Michelin might cost twice as much but it lasts 3 times as long and grips better too.
Using toyo open country on the truck and very happy, much better in the snow than cooper at

Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another +1 for the tires. I suffered the same a long time ago in a company work van. the boss was cheap and bought the cheapest crap tires ever. The front end would slide towards the curb when stopped when no one else did.

I also had a Mustang decades ago with some low profile Dunlops on it. In the summer those things were like sticky rubber. As soon as it got cold I was on slicks. It was the compound.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Courser MSRs. If you want real traction in snow, you need a tire rated for it. There isn't a large selection available, but all of them are able to be driven year round in LT sizes.

Quick Reply: Had a very tough time driving in the snow - thoughts ?