2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Weigh Safe Hitch Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by brdcrtr
Thanks for setting up the discount. I went with the 8" drop. I picked up a 5 1/4" drop at home depot for a small ATV trailer and it's perfect. The trailer is my friends and he has a trailer that is even lower so I figured I'd do the 8" over the 6" for a little more headroom.

Glad it worked out for you!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Are the units you guys are ordering being shipped?
I got stuck into eTrailer a few hours before this discount thing came to life.
As far as I know eTrailer doesn't even have any to ship yet.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
etrailer stocks VERY little. They drop ship most of their items from the manufacturer. Not sure if Trunk Monkey is doing the same or has a stock. I do know Weigh Safe has them to ship so if you're not getting one, it's the vendor to ask and not the manufacturer.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:32 AM
Mizzou
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is the SD forum but has anyone heard what the drop for a non-lifted F-150 would need. I love the way these look and would love to add this to the list of items I "need" to buy for the new truck.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Measure distance of the ground to the inside base of your receiver (R) and also the ground to the inside top of the ball coupler of the lowest trailer you'll pull (T). In my case R was 3 inches higher than T. So then you have to determine the amount of drop (D) and then rise from the base and ball assembly (B) so the ball will be at the appropriate height to attach to the trailer and keep it level when empty or loaded. Write down these values and use the following math to figure out the drop length needed for your setup.

In my case, my receiver is 21 inches off the ground (R=21). So if I get an 8 inch drop hitch (D=8) with a 6 inch base and ball assembly (B=6). R-D+B=19. 19 inches is the net height above the ground of the top of the ball when using an 8 inch drop hitch. Trailer tongue height is 18 inches off the ground or (T=18). So the ball is exactly one inch higher than the trailer ball receiver. Hook up the empty trailer and the back end of the truck sags one inch and whalaa! You have the correct drop amount for an unloaded level trailer or maximum drop needed on your drop hitch. As the weight of the trailer increases, raise the ball assembly before connecting to compensate for sag. Draw out these values on paper and you'll see it works perfectly every time.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:41 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to see we got a discount. I just ordered an 8" drop 3" version for my F450.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:18 PM
brdcrtr
New User
Originally Posted by klassic
Are the units you guys are ordering being shipped?
I got stuck into eTrailer a few hours before this discount thing came to life.
As far as I know eTrailer doesn't even have any to ship yet.
I ordered from Truck Monkey Parts late Thursday afternoon and it hasn't shipped yet. Checking the status on their site shows it's ready to ship.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
They told me yesterday that weather is playing hell with all their deliveries. They've had ice like crazy and getting products in and out has been challenging all week.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 AM
Mizzou
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Measure distance of the ground to the inside base of your receiver (R) and also the ground to the inside top of the ball coupler of the lowest trailer you'll pull (T). In my case R was 3 inches higher than T. So then you have to determine the amount of drop (D) and then rise from the base and ball assembly (B) so the ball will be at the appropriate height to attach to the trailer and keep it level when empty or loaded. Write down these values and use the following math to figure out the drop length needed for your setup.

In my case, my receiver is 21 inches off the ground (R=21). So if I get an 8 inch drop hitch (D=8) with a 6 inch base and ball assembly (B=6). R-D+B=19. 19 inches is the net height above the ground of the top of the ball when using an 8 inch drop hitch. Trailer tongue height is 18 inches off the ground or (T=18). So the ball is exactly one inch higher than the trailer ball receiver. Hook up the empty trailer and the back end of the truck sags one inch and whalaa! You have the correct drop amount for an unloaded level trailer or maximum drop needed on your drop hitch. As the weight of the trailer increases, raise the ball assembly before connecting to compensate for sag. Draw out these values on paper and you'll see it works perfectly every time.
That is a perfect explanation of what I need. Guess I will have to wait until I get the truck in or just go with the 4" drop since they don't sit that high and on my 2010 I just used a 2" drop that was fine.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Orondo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had to settle for 2.5 inch weigh safe

After much hand wringing and trying to figure out how to justify the 3" weigh safe, I ordered the 2.5" - it's the largest receiver size that still accommodates the hitch-mounted Rock Tamers (or any other brand of mud flap systems for the matter) that attaches to the receiver shaft. 2.5" is also the size of the "stinger" on my ProPride 3P weight distribution hitch that I use for the Airstream.

I suppose if ProPride or Rock Tamers ever produces 3" product, then I'll be back in the market...Thanks everyone for the great information and help. BTW - the discount code still worked at Truck Monkeys for the 2.5".

Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was excited, then weigh safe said it was machined from a solid steel block of aluminum and my 'wait, what?' flag went up. The guy in the interview asked if it was a special aluminum alloy that resists corrosion. Weigh safe did not correct that, they just mentioned it was machined from 6061 T6 which is a very common lower cost aluminum alloy.

Nothing wrong with 6061, but there are aluminum alloys that are stronger and more corrosion resistant.Not saying its not a great product, they cost less than other hitches that's a plus.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 PM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I went ahead and ordered an 8" drop also. I am excited to use it.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by gpf2ez
I went ahead and ordered an 8" drop also. I am excited to use it.
Good deal! I assume the 10% promo code is still up and running for us FTE members then? Mine shipped today I'm told....

Old 01-19-2017, 09:00 PM
gpf2ez
Elder User
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Good deal! I assume the 10% promo code is still up and running for us FTE members then? Mine shipped today I'm told....
Sure is, thank you for setting it up

Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM
LCC
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mizzou
I know this is the SD forum but has anyone heard what the drop for a non-lifted F-150 would need. I love the way these look and would love to add this to the list of items I "need" to buy for the new truck.
On my 14 F 150, I used the 2" drop on almost everything I had. Car trailer, 14' enclosed, dump trailer, and others..

Quick Reply: Weigh Safe Hitch Group Buy