Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Peter A.
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no start

I have an 87 F-350 with a 6.9 and ATS turbo. The truck has been running and starting without a problem for years. In October, I had a no start issue. It turned out to be the glow plug control unit. Not a big issue to replace it. The truck fired up right away, and started at least 100 times since replacing control unit.
This morning it was very cold. I went to start the truck with no Luck !
The wait to start light came on and then went off instantly. In addition, the control unit continues to click when the key is in the on position, but no start!
Thinking that it was a defective control unit, I got a new one from AZ.
Still no start.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter A.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 PM
mattnj
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you need new glow plugs.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter A.
I have an 87 F-350 with a 6.9 and ATS turbo. The truck has been running and starting without a problem for years. In October, I had a no start issue. It turned out to be the glow plug control unit. Not a big issue to replace it. The truck fired up right away, and started at least 100 times since replacing control unit.
This morning it was very cold. I went to start the truck with no Luck !
The wait to start light came on and then went off instantly. In addition, the control unit continues to click when the key is in the on position, but no start!
As mentioned by mattnj that is the symptom of some burnt out glow plugs.

ALWAYS USE MOTORCRAFT GLOW PLUGS MADE BY BERU. 'ZD9' for your truck. Your 87 truck has the 7.3L style solid state controller which has an afterglow cycle of up to 2 minutes. Motorcraft BERU plugs are specially designed and manufactured to handle that extra afterglow cycle. Other manufacturers' glow plugs for the most part will NOT endure that extra glow plug cycling load for nearly as long as BERU ZD9 glow plugs. There may be a brand or two out there that might be able to endure the extra loads but I can't tell you which ones those might be. Experience has shown many on Ford/IH/Navistar IDI forums that that Autolite and Champion glow plugs and some other other brands will NOT hold up, some will fail very quickly, expand on the tips and get stuck in the head. Just be safe and always get the Motorcraft BERU glow plugs until we KNOW that another brand will work as well with this style of controller.

Thinking that it was a defective control unit, I got a new one from AZ.
Still no start.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter A.
I found this topic after reading your more recent one from January 21, 2017 linked below and entitled:
Engine will not crank over !
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16887747

THERE you mentioned having installed new glow plugs and controller - I thought I would reply here first about using Motorcraft BERU glow plugs.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Peter A.
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did in fact replace the glow plugs w/Beru zd9 glow plugs. At the same time I replaced all the end connectors, and the truck fired off no problem. I think that I created my own problem while removing the ABS bulb.
Thanks,
Peter