FORD Ranger idle & brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:04 AM
chrischandlerrr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile FORD Ranger idle & brake problems

Hi,
I am new to this forum so take it easy on me. My manual 5 speed 99' 2WD 2.5L Ranger is starting to have some small problems here and there. My main concern is when I start the vehicle sometimes, there is no idle. The vehicle will turn over and if I do not hold the gas pedal down it will die immediately after about 2 seconds.
If I hold the gas down so the RPM's stay up (Around 700 RPM's or so, something just a little above 0 to keep it from dying) after about a minute, sometimes few minutes the idle will kick in and I do not need to hold my foot on the gas pedal to keep the truck from dying.
This is about all I know from the problem besides that it does not matter how long my truck is sitting. For example, my truck was sitting for 5 days and I came home and started it up just fine, but after I drove it a few minutes later and stopped driving, when I went to drive it about an hour later the symptoms came back again.

Also, My brakes are acting a little funny. I went through when I first got the vehicle and bled the brakes, took the front rotors in to auto zone or another shop and had them fixed up, and new brake pads. Sometimes when I first start driving the brakes are extremely sensitive, to the point where I apply a little bit of pressure and my truck will start skidding. This goes away after driving for a little bit though.
Any help, tips or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks guys.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
Have the vehicle computers scanned for trouble code clues & post up All trouble code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

That said, the IAC = Idle Air Control is used by the computer to control idle speed as engine load changes. It's a common problem part with idle woes.
You might try removing & cleaning it internally with a plastic safe spray cleaner, like CRC QD, or MAF sensor spray, keeping the electrical connector end up, so the solvents & muck don't drain into the solenoid windings end.
Cleaning might not last, it didn't for me & is probably why Ford recommends replacement when they begin acting out, but cleaning was a good trouble shooting step for me.
Motorcraft, or BWD brands are recommended. I used BWD with a online discount promo code here https://www.retailmenot.com/ for Advance Auto, for about half the price of the Motorcraft IAC.
It's been about 10 years now & the BWD IAC is doing fine.

On the brake question, kinda sounds like a wheel brake cylinder may be weeping brake fluid onto the rotor/pads/shoes/drums, so have a close look for damp signs around those areas. If you've been having to constantly top up the under hood brake master cylinder fluid reservoir, that's a sign you have a brake fluid system leak. Don't try cleaning the friction materials up & go, as the brake fluid soaks into the linings/pad material & will weep out & cause the problem to repeat. Fix the leak & replace the friction material, use a brake spray cleaner to clean the rotors/drums.

Some thoughts for starters, let us know what you find.