2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150's New 4.8L V8 should be a Force to reckon with!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Nothing lasts forever. you wont keep them 30 years...................
They said the same thing to my dad when be bought his corvette in 1978 (also that he would kill himself), it's sitting in the garage next to my truck.

I know 3 people who drive early 80s Ford trucks daily. Not everyone feels the need to get a new truck every 3 years.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:25 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
They said the same thing to my dad when be bought his corvette in 1978 (also that he would kill himself), it's sitting in the garage next to my truck.

I know 3 people who drive early 80s Ford trucks daily. Not everyone feels the need to get a new truck every 3 years.
I drove my '88 for 22 years and in that time it had been rebuilt from stem to stern too. The last 15 years of it's life was pretty blissful till it began to rust.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you follow ford back through the years they never stay with an engine very long. There are exceptions but compared to GM & Chrysler, Ford comes up with new engines a lot. Why they don't spend the money to upgrade and improve the good designs I will never understand. But the chances of me buying a new Ford a slim. I opted to but the wife a new Kia Sportage EX AWD for Christmas last year instead of an Escape. I'm not sorry 26,000 miles of trouble free driving so far.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
If you follow ford back through the years they never stay with an engine very long. There are exceptions but compared to GM & Chrysler, Ford comes up with new engines a lot. Why they don't spend the money to upgrade and improve the good designs I will never understand. But the chances of me buying a new Ford a slim. I opted to but the wife a new Kia Sportage EX AWD for Christmas last year instead of an Escape. I'm not sorry 26,000 miles of trouble free driving so far.
What?

Ford stuck with the flathead V8 for 21 years, the Y-block V8 for 9 years, the MEL V8 for 10 years, the FE V8 for 18 years, the Windsor V8 for 38 years, the 385 V8 for 29 years, the 335/Cleveland V8 for 12 years, the Modular V8 for....wait, it's still being produced, so 1991 to present.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM has basically has the same small block since the 50's. The small block Chevy engine is the greatest engine ever made in terms of longevity, performance and numbers built.

I have one in my 32 Ford, which technically isn't even a Ford. There is hardly a Ford part on it.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as the large ci Super Duty engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it has pushrods.....
I'm pretty confident it's on the table.
But I haven't "heard" that about the 4.8.
Can't wait to see it unfold as I can't wait to dump my Tundra at lease end- in 2018. Back in a Ford for sure.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by dave91gt
As far as the large ci Super Duty engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it has pushrods.....
I'd be surprised. I think most would agree with Jus Cruisin's opinion on the SBC, but a cam-in-block design would be an evolutionary step backward. Current-generation engines in nearly everything but the Super Duty have double overhead camshafts with independent timing for each of them. That allows the engineers to do a lot of things with tuning that aren't possible with a cam-in-block design.

For example, current-gen F150s don't have an EGR system. The same end goal is achieved by adjusting valve overlap, so you eliminate an entire system. GM trucks still use EGR systems.

Being able to continually adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing also allows you to broaden the torque curve. I'd be quite surprised if they went backwards like that.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever the configuration of the new Super Duty engine is, it's supposed to be 7.0l.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I'd be surprised. I think most would agree with Jus Cruisin's opinion on the SBC, but a cam-in-block design would be an evolutionary step backward. Current-generation engines in nearly everything but the Super Duty have double overhead camshafts with independent timing for each of them. That allows the engineers to do a lot of things with tuning that aren't possible with a cam-in-block design.

For example, current-gen F150s don't have an EGR system. The same end goal is achieved by adjusting valve overlap, so you eliminate an entire system. GM trucks still use EGR systems.

Being able to continually adjust the intake and exhaust valve timing also allows you to broaden the torque curve. I'd be quite surprised if they went backwards like that.
I wouldn't call over head cams an evolutionary step. OHV and OHC are similar in age. Ohv engines are quite a bit narrower than ohc, which makes them much easier work on, that's the one benefit to the vortec GM engines. Also, GM puts the oil filter in a nice location...right by the oil pan drain, instead of on the block. What bugs me about newer engines is they have to rev up to get into any bit of power, unlike older engines where it was down a bit lower, exclude EcoBoost.

Whether this new 4.8L is ohv, sohc, or DOHC, it should be a nice engine. Sucks the 5.0 is gone again...hopefully this engine will fill it's roll and make more power. I really hope they don't drop the V8s capability like they do with the 5.0 to push EcoBoost sales, that's just really stupid that they do it. It's the same frame, brakes, etc, why limit what it can do? It weighs similar to the EcoBoost, its just down on power.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:01 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
What ever the configuration of the new Super Duty engine is, it's supposed to be 7.0l.
That got my attention also. 😀

Old 11-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
I wouldn't call over head cams an evolutionary step. OHV and OHC are similar in age. Ohv engines are quite a bit narrower than ohc, which makes them much easier work on, that's the one benefit to the vortec GM engines. Also, GM puts the oil filter in a nice location...right by the oil pan drain, instead of on the block. What bugs me about newer engines is they have to rev up to get into any bit of power, unlike older engines where it was down a bit lower, exclude EcoBoost.
Don't disagree with any of that, but I would still say a single cam in the block is a step backwards. You completely lose the ability to independently control intake and exhaust valve timing on each cylinder bank that way. Torque curves have flattened out with each evolution of variable cam timing.

Definitely easier to work on though, and far less likelihood of timing chain issues. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be an improvement on the current choices.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Regarding the 7.0+ Super Duty engine (not trying to derail here)
Think variable displacement. OHV allows Ford to drop cylinders for mpg while allowing more cubic inches for torque and pulling power.
I am a pushrod fan and love my Ford small blocks. I loved my Coyote that was in my 12 F150. But I also love the torque belted out by large displacement pushrod engines.
I'm pretty confident we will be reading about a new pushrod designed 7.0+ Super Duty engine.
Could be wrong but let's entertain it's possible.
As far as the 4.8- I'm not "hearing" anything on it. Curious how they would make it more powerful by dropping displacement. Maybe it's not a 5.0 replacement. Perhaps they are dropping the na v6? Not sure.
Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

I had a chevy truck 21 years. put 60k on it. (didnt buy it new). but I had to rebuild the body, and another frame all due to rust. I bought 3 parts trucks to complete mine. I now have a 2001 F150, and its rusty. and it wont last 30 years, its got too much rust. I'll never rebuild a vehicle again. its not worth it. I dont buy new vehicles every 3 years. I had a very long commute, and I would put about 50 k a year on a vehicle. they wear out pretty quick. My 2013 F150 will not see salt again. Its seen at least one wisconsin winter, and wisconsin is hard on vehicles. it didnt get driven last winter. I use the 2001 since its a rust bucket. I have an antique car Ive had for 31 years. I keep some of my vehicles.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:53 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dave91gt
Regarding the 7.0+ Super Duty engine (not trying to derail here)
Think variable displacement. OHV allows Ford to drop cylinders for mpg while allowing more cubic inches for torque and pulling power.
I am a pushrod fan and love my Ford small blocks. I loved my Coyote that was in my 12 F150. But I also love the torque belted out by large displacement pushrod engines.
I'm pretty confident we will be reading about a new pushrod designed 7.0+ Super Duty engine.
Could be wrong but let's entertain it's possible.
As far as the 4.8- I'm not "hearing" anything on it. Curious how they would make it more powerful by dropping displacement. Maybe it's not a 5.0 replacement. Perhaps they are dropping the na v6? Not sure.
Can't wait to see how it plays out.
Pushrods? forget it. Ford doesnt make a pushrod engine at all now. and Ford wont go back to pushrods. these newer engines do high rpms and pushrods limit you. I love torque myself, which is why I got the 6.2 in my F150.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Fords real weakness thru the time of overhead valve v-8's has been oil pressure and blocks cracking before the Modular and so far oil pressure still tends to do them in. Chevy had a great oil pressure design and once the piston thing was solved and the valve rocker lifting thing it excelled although they still blew out expansion plugs aplenty along with eating up the coated cam gears.. When you get right down to it the Chevy small block valve covers (compact engine package) really sold it.

Quick Reply: F150's New 4.8L V8 should be a Force to reckon with!