Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't sound like a faulty valve to me.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:49 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFiXiturself

2) It might have had something to do with the idle bypass valve.. that 12v in ..7.5 out still sounds high likely a faulty valve? Any thoughts? Anyone know the specs for the valve or where to find them?

Thx Again.
Place your electrical meter on "Ohms" and touch the two spades on the IAC connector. Resistance should test in either direction. You should have between 7 and 13 ohms. If you are outside of this range, replace the IAC.

Under what conditions did you measure that 7.5V out? The IAC is controlled by the computer via pulse width modulation. The duty cycle of On/Off is controlled by the computer so using a DVM set to Volts is pretty much useless other than verify the supply voltage is present.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:53 AM
MrFiXiturself
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick update... I put a remanufactured ecu in a week or so ago and everything is right as rain. Hope this info helps others that might have a similar problem with an old 4.9L.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
Hey, i'm back. I was the original one of this post. After all of the advice i sent off my ECU and had it professionally rebuilt. I just got it back last week. I put it in on Sunday and the truck fired right up. I turned it off and fired it back up again. I shut it off again, then fired it up again and drove it to the store. It fired up great at the store, then when i got home i shut it off. I just went out today to start it and it did the same old thing it was doing before. Fuel pump kicks on and won't shut off and the truck won't start. I tried 4 times...now i'm stumped...Any chance it could be a bypass valve or anything else???

Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
Any thoughts?? fuel pressure regulator??

Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chris Skoglun
Any thoughts??
Yes, this is exactly why you do not start two threads for the same issue.

My answer in your other thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16915876

Originally Posted by Chris Skoglun
fuel pressure regulator??
No.....the pressure regulator has nothing to do with this issue. The computer (PCM) controls the 1-2 fuel pump operation when turning the key from Off to Run.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
The reason for starting another thread was because I knew some people would open this one, and not want to read all the way through. I know, not the best way, but was hoping to make it easier to get fresh ideas. regardless...
There is nothing in the fuel regulator that can fail? Before sending it off for another 4 weeks to have them go through it again I just want to make sure I eliminate every possibility. It took months of research and hitting the right forum to find this initial answer of the PCM causing this issue...If there is ANY thing else that could cause this, even if it's a long shot, I want to test it first. And someone mentioned that if the regulator stuck open, it could possibly do this. I also talked to a mechanic and he said to test the diaphragm on the regulator. But then there's people saying that there is nothing else that could cause this...

Old 02-01-2017, 01:36 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
The fuel regulator has no influence on when or how long the fuel pump is energized when cycling the key from the Off to Run position. That is controlled by the computer. There is no pressure feedback to "tell" the computer to shut off. It's a simple timer circuit inside the computer. Key On, timer starts to run for 1-2 seconds, then shuts off.

Classic failure mode is the clock inside the computer never triggers so there is no signal to shut off the count down timer. This keeps the fuel pump relay energized whenever the key is in the Run position (this position applies power to the fuel pump relay while the ground is applied full time via the computer).

The fact the computer did work, albeit for a short time, then died again still points back to a bad computer. Either a poor job repairing or the computer has failed in some other way.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
Ok, that makes sense to me know. I thought the computer was energizing the fuel pump and when it pressurized the system, the pump would shut off. I figured it was the responsibility of the pressure regulator to stay closed so it could build up pressure. What you are saying now makes more sense. Its weird that it is still intermittent...if I spray fuel in the intake, it will start. then it might start 5, 6...15 times after that...then it won't start again...but after your last post it makes sense that it is the computer...I wonder how they missed fixing that part...that's frustrating.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
oh! since you seem to know what you are talking about...why will the truck not start in this situation? if the pump is running and there is fuel going...why will it just crank and crank? it seems to me that if the pump is running, then it should start...?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
The computer also controls the injectors. So under these conditions the injectors are never told to open. You can get spark since the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is firing off the raw PIP signal just like it was designed to do as a "limp home" feature. That's why the engine runs with a dose of fuel or starting fluid, at least until that runs out.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
This is making more sense...I really appreciate the info!
One thing though, is that if I get it to start by priming the intake, it runs just fine, and I can drive it around. Then it will continue to start the correct way after that (fuel pump kicks on and off), then it will randomly decide to fail again. It's just so intermittent. I have no doubt after what you've said that it must be the computer, but it just seems weird after your last comment "That's why the engine runs with a dose of fuel or starting fluid, at least until that runs out." Because if I prime it with fuel...it operates perfectly normal for the next 4, 5, 7...or 15 starts.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Does the fuel pump continue to run with the key in the Run position on these "hot" restarts?

Or does the fuel pump shut off after 1-2 seconds?

Old 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Chris Skoglun
Cross-Country
So I will prime the intake, and the truck starts. I shut it off, then I turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump. it kicks on for 1-2 seconds then shuts off, then I know it will start. Then after maybe a day or two, i'll go to start it and it won't start. I turn the key off, turn it back to the on position and listen for the fuel pump and it's just running constantly. It's like if I prime the intake and get her to start, it resets everything and everything functions as it should, for a few starts or a few days.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Still points to a bad computer. Cold solder joint, heat related issue, etc. The telltale sign, as you stated, is the fuel pump running continuously.

Just to be sure I suggest you remove and clean grounds G100 and G101. G100 is located on the drive side of the radiator support. G101 is located next to the battery. The locations may be a little different on a 1991. I am used to and have diagrams for 1992 and up. And yes...they tend to be very different.

Not only inspect, pull the connectors and clean them thoroughly. One time we found an intermittent open ground at G100 causing similar issues, except the symptom was always there. Might as well cover the bases before we spend your money.

Quick Reply: Starting issue