Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ball Joint remover tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Ball Joint remover tool?

I'm looking to add a ball joint press/remover to my toolbox. Which one? Do I need adapters?

I'd like to order online, don't really enjoy spending an hour on the road to have some clueless person give me a blank stare, Lol.

Here's one I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Joint-Ser.../dp/B01BUI5VCW

Although I usually make my own tools, it is getting cold here quickly and LOTS to do before winter. I have the front drivers side parts ready to go on, but a tool like this could be very helpful

Would this work on our Excursions/Superduty? Do I need any other adapters?

Is it heavy enough for a couple of vehicles? Not running a shop, but have E350, my Excursion, and now F550 to do. Hence the tool "need"

I'd like to order one ASAP.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
When I see a tool of that caliber for a low price like that I get leery of it. Not that I'm right, just my thoughts. Tools like that are available for loan at Pep Boys, Advance Auto et al if you're not too remotely located to have them nearby.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I was gonna order the same one. I have rented the ones from autozone a couple times and have never had any issues. It's on my list too.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:39 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
I called the nearest auto repair place to me and they happily r & r the ball joints with a hydraulic press. Cost? $40.00 and in this case, they did while I waited.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:45 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yeah, that's a cheap tool. It's probably OK for a handful of uses, but I personally hate using cheap tools. I scored and picked up a Mac ball joint press off ebay a few years ago for $80. It's very high quality and I've used it a few times.

The other option, as someone else said, is to take the steering knuckle to a shop and have them do it. If you're only doing it a few times, it's probably easier and cheaper.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM
weeeves
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Yeah, that's a cheap tool. It's probably OK for a handful of uses, but I personally hate using cheap tools.
+1

I have a similar set which I bought off of eBay, which is probably sourced from the same supplier in China. I bent one of the cups while removing the lower ball joint. The seller sent another cup free of charge but that one bent also. The C-Clamp seems to be OK quality wise but the cups are definitely not up to the task for doing larger ball joints.

Name:  eBayBallJointCup_zpstabavne2.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  257.1 KB

Before my storage unit was broken into and all of my tools stolen, I had the OTC ball joint set. The cups were made out of slightly thicker gauge metal and I never had any issues with any of the cups folding like that.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
After renting the tool kit from Advance Auto several times, I just kept it the last time. It's also really handy when doing u-joints on the drive shaft!

Old 10-18-2016, 04:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I called Advance Auto today. They do loan the tool, something like $225, then refund your money whenever you bring it back.

I'd hate to borrow and use a cheap tool, though, for that kind of dough. Don't know what they loan.

I can only find OTC with SLOW shipping. I didn't plan far enough ahead, now I want to get it done

I take that back. For an EXTRA $40, I can get it Prime shipping

Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Autozone has "OEM BRAND" with 3 adapters for $115 loaner, up to 90 days.

Might end up being a keeper, if it's good quality?

Anyone with experience of this brand?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Autozone has "OEM BRAND" with 3 adapters for $115 loaner, up to 90 days.

Might end up being a keeper, if it's good quality?

Anyone with experience of this brand?

I have used this brand. As long as you didn't get one that somebody abused you should be fine. I have used this many times and it has done the job just fine.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
I have used this brand. As long as you didn't get one that somebody abused you should be fine. I have used this many times and it has done the job just fine.
Perfect, thanks!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey ExPA, I just rented one of these (different brand, better looking cups) from Oreillys for free. Something to think about. You pay a deposit of $124.00 and they give it all back when you return the tool.

I knew I didn't plan to do this job more than once or twice so I didn't even think about buying one outright. Also, this way if I bust it all up I can just return it and no problems.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
Hey ExPA, I just rented one of these (different brand, better looking cups) from Oreillys for free. Something to think about. You pay a deposit of $124.00 and they give it all back when you return the tool.

I knew I didn't plan to do this job more than once or twice so I didn't even think about buying one outright. Also, this way if I bust it all up I can just return it and no problems.

Good luck!
Thanks

FYI. I picked up the rental tool from Advance Auto. Looks like a fairly complete kit, hard used, but probably okay. About $250.

I'm planning to do the work between now and Saturday am. Depending if Amazon ever delivers the NEXT DAY shipment ordered on Monday

Old 10-19-2016, 02:28 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I rented the tool from O'Reilly as well, wasn't perfect but it worked.

One thing I had to pick up was different zerk fittings for the upper joints. The ones that came with my MOOG wouldn't clear. I had to get some angled ones. That reminds me, about time to grease my ball joints.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:38 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
I rented the tool from O'Reilly as well, wasn't perfect but it worked.

One thing I had to pick up was different zerk fittings for the upper joints. The ones that came with my MOOG wouldn't clear. I had to get some angled ones. That reminds me, about time to grease my ball joints.
Thanks! I have Spicer, no grease fittings

Quick Reply: Ball Joint remover tool?