Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member/ Prospective Buyer Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM
AK-EMS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to try and do all of these great replies justice, but I leave for work (Anchorage Safety Patrol) very soon and don't have much time.

As far as value for the 01 I have an eye on, if he does agree to $5,000 I'll make sure the inspection comes back with awesome results since based on the responses any damage on top of what is already known will be an instant deal breaker.

Outnumberedone, you have an awesome rig and it's pretty much everything I want out of one of these trucks (minus leather interior) but unfortunately it's out of my price range right now.

Since I'll probably be looking elsewhere, are there any recommendations on where to find a 7.3 Ex in good shape, with decent miles, and leather interior for a reasonable price? Flying down south buying one and driving back is not completely out of the question either since I could make a vacation out of it. I know buying something that far out of state has its dangers but with the help of everyone here on the forum there's a good chance we could make it work.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyG
I agree with Twitch except for the part that the worst someone can say is no. I was in the Navy for a few years back in the 70s, and I've heard a lot worse than "no"!

I will have to agree with you on that one shipmate, but we are talking the civilian world here.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Ok, quick update. I finally got a response back from the guy and he counter offered 8500 so I have officially walked away from that truck.

After looking at Excursions for sale all over the country on Craigslist there seems to be a pattern. Correct me if I'm wrong but people seem to have either overpriced them by almost 100% because they don't know what their vehicle is worth, or they are asking what appears to be Blue Book plus the cost of all of the work they have had done to it. Essentially, I'm trying to find out how to actually spot a vehicle that is in good shape and a good value for the money because I'm more than happy to expand my price range if it means significantly lower maintenance costs over the next few years.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Are you only looking at deezles? There are good deals to be found on the V-10 EXs out there (good deals on oil burners too, just seems that the gassers don't get overpriced as much). The 6.8 is super reliable, will go for pretty high miles with proper care and is powerful enough for even heavy work.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM
AK-EMS
New User
I'm primarily looking at 7.3's for their efficiency and longevity but haven't been able to find any good long term cost analysis of ownership between the two engines. If higher maintenance costs on the 7.3 negate the fuel savings I would be willing to start including v10's in my search.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Well, I've read plenty of reports from owners of each and the gassers getting good mileage seem to do about the same or a whisker better than the PSDs that are getting on the low end of their MPG range...... Of course some of the 7.3s are banging out 20+ MPG and some of the gassers, like your fellow Anchorage-ite Russ are seeing only 9 MPG with a heavy foot. . Back when totally stock my V-10 was getting 14 with my mixed city/ highway driving and 15.5 on the highway, but I have a lighter foot than Russ.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
some of the gassers, like your fellow Anchorage-ite Russ are seeing only 9 MPG with a heavy foot. . Back when totally stock my V-10 was getting 14 with my mixed city/ highway driving and 15.5 on the highway, but I have a lighter foot than Russ.
It's more like 8 MPG, but a HUGE part of that is my SCT tuner. When running the stock tune I was able to get 10 MPG commuting and running around town easily even with my driving style. This has been true for all of my 3.73 V10 Ex's. I've even touched 15 MPG on highway runs back when it was stock.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 AM
AK-EMS
New User
Judging by the reports I've seen here on the forums regarding driving style and mileage I'll most likely be on the lower end of the mpg range no matter which engine my truck has.

If we're assuming a rough average of 8-12 mpg with the V-10 and 13-17 with the 7.3 that would result in the diesel being 33% less expensive to fuel than the gas given Alaska fuel prices (both gas and diesel are $2.40ish/gallon). If I were to put 150,000 miles on both these engines the gasser would cost me $36,000 to fuel while the diesel would be $24,000. Factoring in regular maintenance and original purchase price would the more expensive 7.3 make up that $12,000 gap, or would its renown reliability make it the less expensive option?

I know this is a rough comparison with many assumptions built into it but I'm trying to get a better feel for the expenses involved for the two different engines.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by AK-EMS
Judging by the reports I've seen here on the forums regarding driving style and mileage I'll most likely be on the lower end of the mpg range no matter which engine my truck has.

If we're assuming a rough average of 8-12 mpg with the V-10 and 13-17 with the 7.3 that would result in the diesel being 33% less expensive to fuel than the gas given Alaska fuel prices (both gas and diesel are $2.40ish/gallon). If I were to put 150,000 miles on both these engines the gasser would cost me $36,000 to fuel while the diesel would be $24,000. Factoring in regular maintenance and original purchase price would the more expensive 7.3 make up that $12,000 gap, or would its renown reliability make it the less expensive option?

I know this is a rough comparison with many assumptions built into it but I'm trying to get a better feel for the expenses involved for the two different engines.

At the risk of getting my head bit off by the Diesel guys but here goes...

Other things to factor into consideration.

Buy in price, the V10's are typically cheaper then the Diesels, so that alone starts you out closing that $12,000 gap.

Now factor in possible engine repairs, the V10 is much cheaper to maintain and repair. I'm not sure what Diesel injectors cost these days but I know it ain't cheap, or plenty of other items they require.

Also consider possible cold starting issues, fuel gelling, slow heat up times when deciding what will work best for you in Alaska.

I've put 40,000 miles on my V10 in the last 6 years at the cost of $17,000 in fuel. I drove it daily during the $4+ gallon fuel prices. In that same 6 years I've put a fuel pump in, fixed a leaking exhaust manifold, did spark plugs and a belt. Total repair costs about $1000.00 for the engine over 6 years.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Aye, there's the rub.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 PM
arond006
Freshman User
Stay away from it. Looked at it myself, junk well over priced. There our a couple better ones forsale in our area. Plus a two that I know of in Kenai.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:22 PM
outnumberedone
Freshman User
OK, so here goes the worlds worst sales pitch from a guy who currently has his truck on Craigslist (taking it off today after no interest and potential sellers remorse )

I've owned both the V10 and now the 7.3 Diesel. I LOVE my 7.3, but on more than one occasion now, I've wondered why? The power is nice, hearing the turbo is a cool sound my kids especially love, and I like that I can tow my 23 foot enclosed trailer with ease over my previous 1/2 ton options. I have put money in my truck that is not related to it being a diesel, but due to the fact that it is 16 years old. That being said, when it comes time for those upcoming possibilities (turbo rebuild or replacement, injector harness, etc.) I am going to pay more for the parts because either the V10 doesn't have them or just that they are in fact cheaper to run and maintain than the diesel. When it comes right down to it, I have the diesel because that is what I WANTED, not what I NEEDED, and at times I regret that choice. I am not the die-hard diesel guy that most owners are. The V10 versions are in fact way cheaper and perform very well. For my 01 V10, I gave $8000 less than my 00 Diesel, although the V10 version was not in as good of shape. It cleanup up pretty good with a lot of elbow grease like Russ just did on his flip.

What I am getting at is it all comes down to what YOU want, and you are on the right track asking here for other's opinions to form yours off of. Going into buying an EX, you are doing it right by not jumping on the first one you see, asking questions, and trying to get the best deal you can. If I were buying again today, I would have jumped all over the Black V10 low mile EX Limited (that is now gone from CL today) if I could talk them down a bit on price. That was one CLEAN EX from what I could see from the photos and well under 100k miles, but it appears to have sold.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by outnumberedone
OK, so here goes the worlds worst sales pitch from a guy who currently has his truck on Craigslist (taking it off today after no interest and potential sellers remorse )

I've owned both the V10 and now the 7.3 Diesel. I LOVE my 7.3, but on more than one occasion now, I've wondered why? The power is nice, hearing the turbo is a cool sound my kids especially love, and I like that I can tow my 23 foot enclosed trailer with ease over my previous 1/2 ton options. I have put money in my truck that is not related to it being a diesel, but due to the fact that it is 16 years old. That being said, when it comes time for those upcoming possibilities (turbo rebuild or replacement, injector harness, etc.) I am going to pay more for the parts because either the V10 doesn't have them or just that they are in fact cheaper to run and maintain than the diesel. When it comes right down to it, I have the diesel because that is what I WANTED, not what I NEEDED, and at times I regret that choice. I am not the die-hard diesel guy that most owners are. The V10 versions are in fact way cheaper and perform very well. For my 01 V10, I gave $8000 less than my 00 Diesel, although the V10 version was not in as good of shape. It cleanup up pretty good with a lot of elbow grease like Russ just did on his flip.

What I am getting at is it all comes down to what YOU want, and you are on the right track asking here for other's opinions to form yours off of. Going into buying an EX, you are doing it right by not jumping on the first one you see, asking questions, and trying to get the best deal you can. If I were buying again today, I would have jumped all over the Black V10 low mile EX Limited (that is now gone from CL today) if I could talk them down a bit on price. That was one CLEAN EX from what I could see from the photos and well under 100k miles, but it appears to have sold.
You hit the nail on the head. If it's coming down to a WANT then there is no reason for anyone to sway you one direction or another. If you're a diesel guy you won't be happy until you own one. Period.

When I was a kid I dreamed about having a 7.3 Limited 4x4, when I grew up and decided what really mattered to me and the reality of owning a diesel, the V10 fit the bill much better, for me.

I often get asked why I still own my Ex from friends and family who just don't "get it" I own it because I always wanted one..it's a WANT not a NEED. I waste money monthly on insurance, fuel. Bi-anually on registration for a truck I don't drive a ton anymore but every time I do it puts a HUGE smile on my face.

Buy what you want. But if you are coming down to facts and dollars I'd say in all honesty it's probably a wash either way V10 VS 7.3 IMO.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM
AK-EMS
New User
These great replies have really made me think on what I want out of an Ex and I've identified the main items:

Enjoyment: My Camaro has been awesome, but I'm due for a change of pace.

Practicality: Everyone here knows the benefits of owning one of these great trucks but I'll list a couple anyways. Being able to go from the guy that always rides with someone else during group trips to the one that everyone wants to go with will be great. Having the ability to tow any and all toys I pick up down the road while simultaneously carrying any gear or supplies needed and riding in comfort. Safety and reliability of such a solid vehicle.

Room for improvement: I've always enjoyed the idea of having a vehicle that needs bits and pieces replaced every once in a while so I can have an excellent excuse to slowly upgrade it.

Rule following: As it stands I make a bit too liberal use of the loud pedal in my car. While I have never received a single ticket driving it I know it's just a matter of time before I go too fast and land a permanent spot on my record. The acceleration and power delivery characteristics of a diesel engine will go a long way to curbing that habit.

Long story short I want a Diesel Ex and have plenty of time to wait for the right one to come along.

As a side note, I'm thinking about taking a look at: https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5821938624.html
I know it has the 6.0 but the owner claims it's been bulletproofed and is asking reasonable bluebook. Think it's worth checking out?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 AM
arond006
Freshman User
Looks good.

I owned a 2004 F350 here in Alaska with the 6.0 in the four years I had it I never once had a problem with the motor. Towed 7000+ with it almost every weekend getting up to Sutton or where ever to play during the summer and all over the State in winter to play. I had read all about the issues with the 6.0 and told myself I would replace the so called weak parts when they broke, they never did. Matter of fact I would still have that truck if I hadn't totaled it on the Alcan enroute to Fort Campbell. Buy what you like and can afford. Plus it looks like the owner is a Senior NCO or Officer based upon the housing area.

Quick Reply: New Member/ Prospective Buyer Seeking Advice