1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

AOD Tranny on an FE

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:19 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AOD Tranny on an FE

Has anyone ever seen one of these or better yet done or have this combo?

I read an article from May, 2006 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines about how this can be done for under $1200.

Didn't really go into the pros and cons of a swap. I'm wondering if there is any real good reason to do it, like improved mileage?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a '98 Ford 4R70W transmission that will be going in my truck behind a '90 Mustang 5.0L H.O. EFI engine or, a 351W I have that I would fuel inject --haven't crossed that bridge yet to decide which way I'm going to go on that. Naturally, this transmission is configured to fit either of these engines.

At any rate, I would assume there's probably an adapter to mate the overdrive to an FE --there's a guy on here with a '64 F100 (I believe) that has a 466 (385-series 460) with a 4R70W adapted to the engine in his truck and he loves it.

Doing something like this is going to cost on the front end. The advantage is it doesn't burn as much fuel when you do drive the truck. Some will say it will take years to offset the initial cost with the gas savings --maybe never. The other benefit is you aren't spinning your engine to its death as quickly at highway speeds. --engines generally cost more to replace than transmissions so, you decide if it would be worth it. The decibel level inside the truck is also much lower at highway speeds with an overdrive and on trips of more than 30 miles, that can be a big savings on your sanity that's completely priceless.

For me, I didn't buy my truck as an 'investment' to turn around, flip it, and sell it for a profit so, Im not worried about the money put into it and having to be worried about 'profit margins' come resale time. That being the case, I'm not overly concerned with the cost of things to make the truck like I want it --of course, there is some degree of monetary reasonable limit on that.

If I want to do something that's going to be expensive, I buy the parts I need, here and there, spreading my cost out over time until I finally have everything I need to install it. In the mean time, I enjoy the truck and drive it like it is until that change can be implemented. This approach doesn't kill my finances in the process and in the end, I get what I ultimately wanted to do with my truck in making it be what I want it to be.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That's 2006 dollars then... 10 years ago and the cost of everything has gone up (save for gasoline which is a commodity).

The last time I checked Performance Automatic the going price for a bolt on system was like $4K.

Can it be done for less? Sure. Visit Bendtsen's for an $800 adapter plate and go from there....

MPG? Yes. I can get 18 mpg with the TKO behind a 360FE.... it'll never pay for itself but it is more pleasurable cruising at 2000 rpm than 3000 rpm.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Hmmm, my previous post was just duplicated again in this location???? Anyway, that was the reason for deleting it here. ....on with our regularly scheduled program already in progress.....

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here ya go:

Ford FE Transmission Adapters

Not cheap, but it'll do what you want.

Last edited by fljab; 09-28-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Hmmm, my previous post was just dulicated again in this location???? Anyway, that was the reason for deleting it here. ....on with our regularly scheduled program already in progress.....
Wormhole!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Wormhole!!!
Maybe it was due to side fumbling inside of a transmission because the **** shaft wasn't in pandimec alignment with the Marsal vanes.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
I have an AOD in my 91 mercury grand marquis 302 5.0. Not the greatest transmission. The OD sucks especially. From what I'v ready on the forums, the 4R70W is an upgrade from the AOD.

Gas milage isn't that much better in town at 13.5-14mpg but on the highway it's a little better 19-20mpg. That's at 65mph. Go any faster and it will drop quick.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Can it be done for less? Sure. Visit Bendtsen's for an $800 adapter plate and go from there....

MPG? Yes. I can get 18 mpg with the TKO behind a 360FE.... it'll never pay for itself but it is more pleasurable cruising at 2000 rpm than 3000 rpm.
I think the driveablity is the main benefit of going with an OD trans. You can run lower gears in the back so it motivates better when you need it to, and still have good cruising rpms. I agree it would take a long time to recover the $$ spent to do it on an OD, but worth it IMO.

FEs are such good torque engines and perfect for truck use. I need to do some selling of the parts and extra truck I don't need, and have been actively looking for a bump. Many have FEs like you guys do so it's good to see how they can be "modernized" a bit for good all around use.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:23 AM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
I have an AOD in my 91 mercury grand marquis 302 5.0. Not the greatest transmission. The OD sucks especially. From what I'v ready on the forums, the 4R70W is an upgrade from the AOD.

Gas milage isn't that much better in town at 13.5-14mpg but on the highway it's a little better 19-20mpg. That's at 65mph. Go any faster and it will drop quick.
Yeah, I don't want to go faster than 70. Just like to be able to keep up in the slow lane w/o the engine howlin at me like a scalded dog. LOL.

I think when the time comes I am going to go with the ear vendor or swap out to the tranny HIO put in. I'll just save my pennies. Who knows maybe something else will come along where I can take out the beast and put something a little more modern. By that time I'll probably be able to get a
" Flux Capacitor " that runs on garbage with a 12 speed tranny.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 72CC428
Yeah, I don't want to go faster than 70. Just like to be able to keep up in the slow lane w/o the engine howlin at me like a scalded dog. LOL.

I think when the time comes I am going to go with the ear vendor or swap out to the tranny HIO put in. I'll just save my pennies. Who knows maybe something else will come along where I can take out the beast and put something a little more modern. By that time I'll probably be able to get a
The new 10-speed automatics (joint development between Ford and GM) will be available in the Ford F150 Limited and in the Raptors come next month (October, 2016 for the 2017 models).

New Ford F-150 engine, transmission available in October

They are also being put in the new Camaros but, I assume there may be some case differences between the Ford and Chevrolet transmission designs.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 72CC428
By that time I'll probably be able to get a
This is a common misconception. The flux capacitor can actually be powered by anything that can generate 1.21 gigawatts (Great Scott!!)... lightning bolt, nuclear reactor, etc... If you want it to run on garbage you're gonna need a "Mr. Fusion" Home Energy Reactor to power your Flux Capacitor. I've been keeping an eye out on ebay for a good used one, but I haven't been able to find one in my price range...

Old 09-30-2016, 04:33 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting that the 2017 will have the "shut off while stopped" as standard. Must have some great starters installed on 'em.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:53 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Interesting that the 2017 will have the "shut off while stopped" as standard. Must have some great starters installed on 'em
That'd probably be really handy for when Jason's after you and the vehicle won't restart.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mikulh
This is a common misconception. The flux capacitor can actually be powered by anything that can generate 1.21 gigawatts (Great Scott!!)... lightning bolt, nuclear reactor, etc... If you want it to run on garbage you're gonna need a "Mr. Fusion" Home Energy Reactor to power your Flux Capacitor. I've been keeping an eye out on ebay for a good used one, but I haven't been able to find one in my price range...

I'll keep an eye out as well.

Quick Reply: AOD Tranny on an FE