f250 or 350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:17 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I think this post pretty well captures why 8-foot beds are not universally popular. There really is a downside when not towing (saying that as the owner of a truck with an 8-foot bed). As with anything, there are pros and cons.

Steve
I'm not sure that's generally accepted either?
Having that extra length allows for plywood, drywall, hauling motorcycles, extra space when towing for firewood, kid toys, etc.
There's more of a length issue with the crew cab issue then with the longer bed and not many complain about shortening up the interior.
My crew cab long bed is not a small parking lot vehicle but that's why I still drive my car.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Yep, pros and cons.

Steve

Old 10-13-2016, 08:11 AM
tfalk
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
2wd or 4wd? If 4wd, seriously look at the 05+ models with the coil spring fronts instead of the earlier models with the leaf spring fronts. IIRC, the turning radius is something like 3 feet shorter. I had a 99 CCLB and it was a land barge turning compared to my 06 CCLB.

Interesting you mention the seats... I find the seats in my wife's 08 Tahoe to be much more comfortable on a long ride than the ones in my 06 F250.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:24 PM
jbiloff
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came for a 12 f150 6.2 to a 14 f250sd diesel. The gas 6.2 is a beast, but will at higher rpms for towing. If you can handle the 5000 5500 rpm when towing, a gasser is the way to go.

I want to a super duty for the higher payload and towing. I felt the diesel was the better choice. Just my opinon

Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 PM
will1383
New User
Originally Posted by wrvond
It really depends on what year you are looking at. For example, my 2012 is identical to a 2012 F350 except for the spring blocks on the rear axle. The 250 has 2" blocks and the 350 has 4" blocks. This causes the F250 to sag under a light load. So much so that a TSB was issued to address it. Ford didn't do anything to fix it, just acknowledge the situation and offer to fix it for a couple thousand dollars. I opted to install air bags instead. The only other difference is the weight rating on paper. The F350 is rated to carry more cargo than the F250.
As pointed out, the price difference is virtually negligible. In fact, an F350 can often be purchased for less than an F250 simply due to market demand.
If you are shopping for used, the V10 is a torque monster for sure, but the 6.2L is no slouch either. Stick with either of those two engines and you should do just fine.
Hi wrvond:

I have a question for you about your air suspension. I bought a 2015 F250 w/6.7 diesel and I am disappointed in the light loading the rear suspension can handle and am considering just adding air bags to the rear and pump them up when I need them. What did you purchase? Are your happy with the air suspension performance? What are some lessons learned from your experience with the air ride.

I guess this is why my truck sat on the lot for as long as it did.. I haven't been able to find much searching this forum on air bag suspensions so I'm hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Wingit929
Senior User
Originally Posted by wrvond
It really depends on what year you are looking at. .

Kinda need this info. But a web search says 250 payload is 3300-4267. A 350 is 3807-7027. with your travel trailer the tongue weight should be 800 + 800 in your load is about half the capacity of the worst 250. Unless you know your going bigger a 250 is all you need. But when your looking I would look at both 250 & 350 and pick the best deal for the money.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Brandon Floersch
New User
F250 4x4

new to the forums in general (first post ever) but I say f250 4x4. Differences in the build between f250's and f350's is practically non-existant... some say the 350 gets a 3.5" block in the rear vs an f250 2" block, making the rear of the f250 ride lower, but it really depends on which block is available during manufacturing. I have seen stock 250's ride higher than mine in the rear and 350's ride at the same height as mine. The real difference is in the government ratings for the rig and how much you pay to register/tag it. The f350 will cost more each year. The 250 is more of a personal vehicle while the 350 is more industrial. I have a '14 f250 4x4 diesel and I tow an '11 25' nomad TT with about 2k lbs of tools in the bed across country all the time... never had a problem. Also, fords are all over-built and will handle more weight than the government rating with no problem at all (I don't condone this, but it happens every day all the time all over the world). I once had a '96 f250 diesel manual transmission, and towed a caterpillar excavator 600 miles on a 40' gooseneck without any issues. If you drive long distances all the time, get the diesel. If you use it as a daily drive around town, get the 6.2 gas and save on maintenance costs. Also, if you think you need/want 4x4, get it... better to have it and not need it vs needing it and being SOL.

Last edited by Brandon Floersch; 10-20-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Spelling/ more info
Old 10-22-2016, 08:07 AM
rokondon
Freshman User
I ordered a new f350XLT FX4 CCLB 3.73gears with the 6.2 gas 2015 have about 10,000 miles on it now.The truck sits about a inch and a half or 2 higher in the back with no load..I noticed all the 250's sit level.I hook up my 23' TT and put some camping supplies in the back and it sits perfect level.DID not order any extra suspesion options for fear of a harsher ride.The price difference between the 250 and 350 was only $700.When i looked at the weight/tow specs the 250 and 350 were the same i think 11,000? for the CCLB gas.Suppossedly the only difference is 4'' instead of 2'' blocks for the rear springs ,longer driveshaft,350 badges.Someone correct me if im wrong.I like having a 8foot bed i have a car for commuting so i wanted all the truck.I eventually want to get a longer TT toyhauler very frustrated over how long i can go and still be able to get in and out of state campsites here in jersey and surrounding states any input appreciated on this.Havent had a problem with my 23'TT yet but it is more difficult than when i had a reg cab gmc. Hope this helps you-Don

Old 10-22-2016, 08:41 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Just a comment on length. Yes, it is a limitation and requires more planning if there are specific places you want to go simply because it is rare that campgrounds have spaces that will fit every length in every space. We stay short for just that reason. Two years ago when we were late reserving, but had a very short fifth wheel, we still could find spaces in the high season in popular campgrounds.

We have reservations for Yellowstone next summer and found they figured all trucks at 20 feet unless you told them you were longer so they added that to the length of your fiver. If you were over 50-feet total, you had to go elsewhere. At 29'8" we just eked in, but were told if we were over, we would be out of luck.

It just depends on where you want to camp. We avoid KOAs and commercial campgrounds whenever possible, but I understand we are not necessarily the norm. Yes, you can always find a space somewhere, but if you have specific preferences, overall length can be a pain.

Steve

Old 10-22-2016, 09:12 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ours is more of an escape from motels while driving somewhere, and staying independent when visiting relatives. It's all about floor plan, which we hope to improve on someday. By having the bed slide out, we gained entertainment room, but I am thru crawling over......I sleep on the couch most of the time now. It's just the two of us, so no need for bunks and such...what would be cool is to design a portable/removable platform so the bed is lengthwise instead of crosswise. Maybe someone has seen something like this. That and a shower upgrade(more room, no phony tub) and we'd be fine with what we have.......

Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 AM
rokondon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Just a comment on length. Yes, it is a limitation and requires more planning if there are specific places you want to go simply because it is rare that campgrounds have spaces that will fit every length in every space. We stay short for just that reason. Two years ago when we were late reserving, but had a very short fifth wheel, we still could find spaces in the high season in popular campgrounds.

We have reservations for Yellowstone next summer and found they figured all trucks at 20 feet unless you told them you were longer so they added that to the length of your fiver. If you were over 50-feet total, you had to go elsewhere. At 29'8" we just eked in, but were told if we were over, we would be out of luck.

It just depends on where you want to camp. We avoid KOAs and commercial campgrounds whenever possible, but I understand we are not necessarily the norm. Yes, you can always find a space somewhere, but if you have specific preferences, overall length can be a pain.

Steve
Yes that is something to think about.Mostly camping state sites around jersey you can unhook and park within the site.Or park at ranger station and walk/Bike back to site.im more concerned about getting in and out of the grounds with out jacking

Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 PM
WaterDawg72
New User
New to the site but have owned Fords for better than 50 years. I started with a 56 F100, and have worked my way up to a 1999 CCLB 4x4. I work my trucks and play pretty hard too, never have regretted the F350 having had two of them. The 250's ride a little softer when not loaded. I also run big trucks and if you are pulling loads and grades, the diesel can't be beat, for power or fuel consumption.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've found that if I drive my CCLB (172" wheelbase) into a grocery store, restaurant or mall parking lot, that I'm sure to get my day's exercise walking in from the back row, or at least one that has a good swing radius both in and out. The truck and 5er combined length is 57-58 feet which will also combine to keep us out of most corner fuel stops and even an occasional campground. Now, would I go back to a SB - nah, I need my exercise plus it really does pull that 5er of ours very nicely

Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
I miss my long bed������ I will replace this truck with another crew cab with an 8' bed. It actually rides better on the concrete freeways due to expansion joint spacing gets negated by the wheel base. I don't mind the walk either.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:10 PM
oldster
New User
Can someone please tell me if this Ecoboost engine is worth a hoot? in a F150 it is sposd to pull 9k lbs.
ALSO, we need 4x4, short box it'll be...AND am not opposed to a diesel now....for some reason...maybe bcuz it COULD get better mileage overall?..or will this Ecoboost do that and pull when i need it?
THANX SO MUCH SO FAR GUYS !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: f250 or 350?