Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over tightened the tie rod end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
What is the part number of the tie rods you're using? At least then we'd know what was really wrong here. Just because the parts store says something is the right part, doesn't always mean it is the right part.

I'm fabricating some new tie rods for my truck using 1 ton GM TREs, a suggestion others mentioned. I'm going to be using "Y" Link Steering using GM 1 Ton TRE - RuffStuff Specialties that. Not quite applicable to a TTB though. Your method with the washers is a good temporary fix to move the truck in and out of the garage, but I would NOT drive that on the road.

The leaf springs on the TTB axle are supposed to have negative arch, so they'll sit either flat or in more of a ^ position.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:53 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The parts store gave you ends for a D44 front axle and you need ones for a D50.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:38 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by eakermeld
The parts store gave you ends for a D44 front axle and you need ones for a D50.
Nope, link geometry would be wrong but the taper is the same. Pretty much all full-size ford stuff from the 80-96 era is the same. The length of the taper in the D50 knuckle is a hair longer but that wouldn't affect fitment like we're seeing here.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man that sucks. I would rather it be the wrong part though instead of a knuckle issue.

the TRE that attaches to pitman arm is item number: ds1419

the TRE that attaches to the right knuckle is: es3363t

the left side TRE/drag link is: ds1420

the TRE that connects to the left knuckle is: es3362L

one adjusting sleeve is es2079s and the other is es2012s

Whats the verdict?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Just did a quick look on Rock Auto. They list ones for up to 4200lbs and ones for over 4200lbs for 2WD but all the same for 4WD so D44 and D50 makes no difference. I was wrong.
I have been thru this before and me and the parts store went round and round before I got the correct ones but I can't remember the details. I'm going to do some more research and post what I find.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:04 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Moog web site says those parts are for a 1997 LIGHT DUTY, not Heavy Duty. We may have found the problem!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Go back to the store and ask for the same stuff, but for a 1996 F250 HD and compare the two.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Go back to the store and ask for the same stuff, but for a 1996 F250 HD and compare the two.
Nope. Spoke too soon. That won't do you any good either.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
OK. My last idea. 1995 thru 1997 shows the part numbers you posted. In a perfect world they should be correct, but for some reason they are not. However, 1994 and older show different part numbers. Someone in the trucks history may have replaced the front end with older parts because of a wreck or who knows what. I would go back to the store and get an outer right TRE for a 1994 f250 4WD and take it home and see if it fits. If it does, then you know what to do. If it doesn't, I am out of ideas.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Wow! Thanks so so much eakermeld!! Ill do that as soon as I get home from work either tomorrow or saturday!!

Again thank you! Ill let you know what happens.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:59 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
OK. My last idea. 1995 thru 1997 shows the part numbers you posted. In a perfect world they should be correct, but for some reason they are not. However, 1994 and older show different part numbers. Someone in the trucks history may have replaced the front end with older parts because of a wreck or who knows what. I would go back to the store and get an outer right TRE for a 1994 f250 4WD and take it home and see if it fits. If it does, then you know what to do. If it doesn't, I am out of ideas.
I find it highly unlikely that Ford decided to machine some knuckles differently for the last two years of production.

I think it's much more likely that the parts guy, or whoever boxed them when they left the factory screwed up and OP got tie rod ends for a totally different truck that just happen to be close enough to fit the adjuster.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Hey, the book says 1995 and up is different from 1994 and down. Who am I to argue with that?
But the second part of your comment is spot-on! If I had a nickel for every part that I got that was boxed wrong, I could buy 2 or 3 NEW Ford trucks!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards
I find it highly unlikely that Ford decided to machine some knuckles differently for the last two years of production.

I think it's much more likely that the parts guy, or whoever boxed them when they left the factory screwed up and OP got tie rod ends for a totally different truck that just happen to be close enough to fit the adjuster.
The passenger side tie rod end was not easy to thread into the adjusting sleeve. I had to fight it the whole way. I was leaning all my weight on it at the bench i was working on. I had to use wd40 just to keep it moving. Maybe i should have stopped as soon as it felt tough to thread in, but i just blamed it on Moog probably making ****ty parts and just kept going. (i dont know if they do or don't make quality parts, but it was just a guess.) It was the only TRE that threaded into the adjusting sleeves like crap. I think I should still ask for the '94s f-250 Heavy Duty TRE though to kill two birds with one stone. (hopefully)

Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Hey, the book says 1995 and up is different from 1994 and down. Who am I to argue with that?
But the second part of your comment is spot-on! If I had a nickel for every part that I got that was boxed wrong, I could buy 2 or 3 NEW Ford trucks!
What book says this?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just my $0.02 USD worth

this is one of those situations where you take the old parts into the parts house, preferably one where you're known by the parts counter d00ds and drop the old parts on the counter. Only offer up a vague amount of info, like Ford truck of maybe this year, f-XXX under or over this GVW and tell them that's all you know for sure. use your best poker face while you do this.

A good parts man will know from experience how to deal with it. A few boxes later, you have what you need. With F250's, this seems to get the job done better than just going to the Discount Box Chain and hope the inexperienced d00d behind the counter has a clue.

I worked the line at the Ford Milpitas Plant so I observed running changes firsthand. things like '79 and '80 Mustang/Capri. Door release mechanisms are totally NOT interchangeable between the two years, even if the body looks the same. Even the trim bezel for the gauges took a change half-way through the year. The first ones fit great,just snapping in place then a different supplier's pieces took a mallet to get into the dash.

A scary thought; I may have helped build something you drove/are still driving. The early Fox body Mustang/Capri's, '80 - '82 Bullnoses.

Last edited by raystankewitz; 09-15-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Quick Reply: Over tightened the tie rod end?