1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Box changeover

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Box changeover

After dealing with some, well lots of, play in the steering wheel, I consulted my shop manual and the FTE knowledge pool and adjusted as far as I could. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite enough.

My parts truck has a perfectly wonderful steering box. Problem is that the shop manual says to remove the steering wheel and column then disassemble almost everything else. Big pain in the butt to do this.

Is there an easier way to do it? I know I should switch to the Toyota steering box and GM column, but right now I'm saving to rebuild the 302 and to get the stuff together to mount it all up.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Steve

Old 08-20-2003, 11:13 PM
texasbob
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Box changeover

Big, I replaced my steering box a couple of years back from a donor truck. It's not nearly as big a hassle as it sounds like. Once you get the wheel off, the drag link off and unbolt the box it all slides out thru the floor. I kept the original column in my truck since it had turn signals and the donor didn't, the column is held on the box by a clamp at the box. Loosen the clamp and the column will come right off, shifter and all. I did clean 40 some odd years of gunk out of the box and replaced the seals and gaskets before the install. It only took a couple of hours to R &R with an extra set of hands to help guide things into place. Go for it dude you'll be glad you did.

Bob

Old 08-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box changeover

Thanks, I'll jump on it and make the change

Steve