2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:13 PM
J.A.B
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was yours a traditional Lock / Free set up or the Ford Auto style hubs with vacuum actuator?

Did you run them in Lock or Auto mode.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by J.A.B
Was yours a traditional Lock / Free set up or the Ford Auto style hubs with vacuum actuator?

Did you run them in Lock or Auto mode.

Thanks
Mine was the full manual setup, with "Lock/Free" hubs and a manual shifter. I left the hubs in Lock.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
That is way bizarre on the hood setup... Someone will have to post up on whether that collects a lot of water or not. Sometimes the angle of the picture is decieving.

Otherwise, very nice truck!!! Congrats...

Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, back to the manual transfer case shifter and traditional hub set up. What's everyone's take on leaving the hubs locked for periods of time. Such as 30 miles drives, highway speeds and so on?

The old opinion was always that it could cause undo wear on the front pinion / diff, and of course cause decreased fuel mileage but the fuel issue does not bother me.
Manual or otherwise the front hubs should be turned in a run at least 10 miles every month. The grease in the front axle U Joints needs to be stirred up. If the axle shafts are static for too long a period unusual wear starts to set in and the seals also start to harden from only single direction movement, every time you turn the steering wheel. In day of old you would notice this if you didn't turn the hubs in all summer and then the first time in the fall or winter the u-joints would yank the steering wheel until the grease got circulated over the dried out spots. So everybody, turn in your hubs and let them warm up monthly.

If you think about it years ago very few trucks had lockable hubs. No one wanted them because it was felt they would fail when you needed them the most. Some did which were never taken care of. Now many people feel the same way about shift on the fly technology but their numbers are decreasing.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:50 PM
J.A.B
New User
Originally Posted by Dakster
That is way bizarre on the hood setup... Someone will have to post up on whether that collects a lot of water or not. Sometimes the angle of the picture is decieving.

Otherwise, very nice truck!!! Congrats...
The picture is deceiving, it flattens out towards the front of the hood and will not hold water.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:57 PM
J.A.B
New User
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Manual or otherwise the front hubs should be turned in a run at least 10 miles every month. The grease in the front axle U Joints needs to be stirred up. If the axle shafts are static for too long a period unusual wear starts to set in and the seals also start to harden from only single direction movement, every time you turn the steering wheel. In day of old you would notice this if you didn't turn the hubs in all summer and then the first time in the fall or winter the u-joints would yank the steering wheel until the grease got circulated over the dried out spots. So everybody, turn in your hubs and let them warm up monthly.

If you think about it years ago very few trucks had lockable hubs. No one wanted them because it was felt they would fail when you needed them the most. Some did which were never taken care of. Now many people feel the same way about shift on the fly technology but their numbers are decreasing.
Aside from the joints in the axle and driveshafts, can prolonged periods of the hubs being locked cause undue wear or failure to the front diff?

I've always been under the impression that the front side was not set up to the same tolerances as the rear.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Love the new transfer case shifter.
Yeah that's a trip, especially after seeing the same lever forever. I hope those lower cup holders are standard
Congrats on the truck!!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, that truck is a beast. Loving it!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad the photo is deceiving. I like esof. If you lose vacuum you can manually lock the hubs in. In fact mine our all winter long, since I use 4wd a lot and no sense in taking chances I won't have it. I've heard in extreme cold the auto lock can fail.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM
J.A.B
New User
Originally Posted by troverman
Thanks for posting regarding the RPMs at speed. I ordered an F-350 dually as well, and it is 4.10's. I was on the fence on that one.

Nice truck. The Michelin's *are* AT tires, just not good ones. I wanted the black side wall like yours, but the dealer ordered the white letters.

Can you verify if the dually fender lamps and clearance lamps under the tailgate are LED?

Thanks
The lights do appear to be LED

Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Got the truck home yesterday and drove it a little bit. The manual shifter was a mistake. .
Nah, Manual T-case are tried and true. Google "failed ESOF" to make you feel better. Some demand the manual t-case to have an extra low range in 2wd for towing equipment in certain circumstances.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Nah, Manual T-case are tried and true. Google "failed ESOF" to make you feel better. Some demand the manual t-case to have an extra low range in 2wd for towing equipment in certain circumstances.
Yes you can tow in low range and not lock in the hubs but the flip side is the tremendous torque which low range puts on the drive line. It would be better to have the front wheels pulling as well if you need that deep of a reduction to tow.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Easy enough to add a switch to break the circuit for the vacuum solenoid. I occasionally use 2 wheel low to back up into my driveway (with 19K of toy hauler)

Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
The mid '70's power wagons had a 2 similar depressions in the hood. My friends would always spray water out after a rain once he passed 20 mph. I find it hard to believe they would design a vehicle with a built in water trap.
2 depressions with the deep part towards the center line, making all the more difficult to clean out the dirt that was always there after the water dried up

Will be interesting to see, especially if parking on a hilly driveway.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The lights do appear to be LED
Thanks, appreciate it.

No need to worry at all about the front diff. Its a Dana 60, used as a rear diff in plenty of vehicles (and therefore turning at all times). Its a massive diff and you can't kill it. You could disconnect the rear driveshaft of your dually, put it in 4Hi, and drive around for years in front wheel drive with no issues.

Quick Reply: Truck Delivered