Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New to us truck for my people to see

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
New to us truck for my people to see

I posted this already in the OBS section to see the differences in our SD and the OBS engines and introduce myself down there. But, y'all are my people so I had to share it with you as well. Hopefully, that will be ok. Some of you may have already seen the other post.

My son has been looking for several months for a truck. He had saved his money and was intently studying on it. It started off as a Ford truck was his main parameter and evolved into pre78 or OBS or newer. The OBS style had to be 2 tone paint scheme. Like i said, very particular. I would mess with him and send him pictures of Mark III lincolns for the fun of it.

As time has gone by, he has found several that he wanted to see but they had major issues and we passed. For example, last Friday he took me to look at an 03. The pics online looked good. The truck in reality was rough. It did not start, the alternator was bad, the door was folded back into the fender. The stock airbox clips were broken and the intake tube was full of dirt. The price was not that good. I invoked our secret code that means time to go. As we were leaving, we discussed what the issues were and he understood.

So he goes back to the drawing board and keeps looking. On saturday, he spots one he wants to see 2.5 hrs south. I talked to the guy and he tells me about the truck. But, he has only owned for a short time and found out that 2wd in swamp country sinks. SO he wanted to buy a 4x4. He had bought it from a Fellow named Bryan in Gainesville FL. He told me that Bryan went into a long story as to all the things he had done it and that he got bored and stopped listening. I would love to talk to Bryan!! Bryan even left a new spare CPS in the glove box.

We look it over and it has newer riff raff intake plenum boots, 4" exhaust with muffler delete, aluminum diff cover on 4.10 gears and a ZF5 with a new clutch. 208k miles. It had some minor issues to: mismatched batteries, worn door pin bushings, a 4" rust spot in the extended cab lower middle lip ( i checked the whole rest of the truck and that is all i can find), and what feels like some extra play in the steering. I still have to jack it up to check the ball joints but the steering links all look good as does the rag joint. Maybe a worn box but maybe my imagination. I have the best front end guy in GA IMHO so if i cannot find it, he will figure it out. He loves OBS trucks too.

I am still finding things that have been done but really trying to find something in the steering at this point.

There was nothing that I could see in AE that was terrible and it seems to make more boost (has a boost gauge) than mine which I have yet to check for leaks.

This picture is not the best but its gives the idea. I told him to come here and study up so he would know what to do if something happens.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:36 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice addition to the family. Good find. I always did have an affinity for the OBS trucks as well....

Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Is that a gold middle? Looks awesome, I always liked that color combo!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The paint code calls the middle a Mocha but it looks more gold to me as well. The creme parts they call continental white.

I had never seen that color until now. The funny thing is on Sunday, a truck with a gas engine passed by the house in the same color but reversed so now i have seen two. This truck was sold new in Montana and ended up down here.

I figured he would think it was an old man color combination but he likes it. The stripe has some little fade to it and he already went and asked someone how much to repaint the stripe. I guess a goal to work towards in the future.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:39 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 95 PS that I bought new. It was a great truck, except for that independent front end. The engine was good too, and it got really good milage. The truck before that was an 86. That was my first diesel with a 6.9IDI that I put a banks turbo on.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
The paint code calls the middle a Mocha but it looks more gold to me as well. The creme parts they call continental white.

I had never seen that color until now. The funny thing is on Sunday, a truck with a gas engine passed by the house in the same color but reversed so now i have seen two. This truck was sold new in Montana and ended up down here.

I figured he would think it was an old man color combination but he likes it. The stripe has some little fade to it and he already went and asked someone how much to repaint the stripe. I guess a goal to work towards in the future.

Yeah, the white on mine is not bright white, but more of an off white kind of. Looks good! My obs 2wd gets 19-21 mpg highway and rides really nice; interested to hear what kind of mileage he gets