1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My new truck V2

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When i had bald tires on my truck, I could burn the one tire fire on command. Although I haven't tried since I bought new 35s

On the flip side, my buddy has a reg cab with a tool box bed on it and a limited slip. He can't make his spin for nothing

Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nate, don't forget the 97 F250 Light Duty that was nothing like the 97 F250 Heavy Duty!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Nate, don't forget the 97 F250 Light Duty that was nothing like the 97 F250 Heavy Duty!
Yep, one of the absolute dumbest things Ford ever did. I always say '96 as well when looking for parts or type it in if I am using Rockauto. It saves a lot of headache.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM
ddeflyer
Senior User
These trucks can have perfect steering, its just that everything needs to be perfect. For example, I replaced everything on the steering of my 1986 (tie rods, ends, steering box, etc) and I didn't get rid of the final bit of slop until I put a new steering column in.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:10 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Every one of these trucks I have ever driven has had some slop in the steering. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I think some of that slop is just inherent to the design of the steering system. There are a lot of moving joints in that front end, and I've never seen one that drives like a rack and pinion. Have you had someone sit in the driver seat and wiggle the wheel while you're under the truck? It could be tie rod roll, or a host of other things, but if you're at less than an inch of "slop" in the wheel, I think you may be in about as good of shape as you can expect.

Are you talking about power braking it and spinning the rear tires? With a stock motor it's iffy, in my opinion. These things don't really make much power right off the line. Now once the boost comes on, yeah, but while you're "under the turbo" on a stock motor, they can be a real dog.

The key components of the ABS system are the RABS valve (which I believe you have already replaced), the VSS (which works or you wouldn't have a working speedometer), and the ABS controller, which is a small black module, mounted behind the glove box. Hard telling what parts you may have got if you ordered for a '97. Some parts stores have a real hard time with that model year because it was the transitional year for models and the F-150 was new, but the F-250 and 350 were still the old style. I generally tell them I want parts for a '96. Have you done the "pinpoint tests for the code you're getting (code 12, if I recall correctly)?

I wish there were an easier way to show you this, but I'm afraid it's easiest if you just go to the site yourself so you can use the kinks and scroll around and see the testing procedures. So here goes:

Go to the F series Workshop Manual.
Then make your way to section 06-09A "Brake system, Anti-Lock, Rear".
Navigate to the "Symptom Chart -- Rear Brake Anti-Lock Control.
Then scroll down the page until you see the symptom chart for Code 12.
That will refer you to Pinpoint Test R (clicking the link will shortcut you to the test procedures).
From there it's more or less just a matter of stepping your way through the procedures one test at a time to isolate and correct the issue.

I know it's frustrating, and this can take some time, but it's a bit like gunsmithing in that the first issue you see is not always the cause of the problem. You often have to understand how the whole assembly is supposed to work in order to pinpoint the source of the problem. The links above are good for that. Hopefully that helps.

I'm at about 1 to 3'' of slop depending on what one persons opinion of slop is I guess.everything is new. except the ball joints and the shop said they look fine. bushings on springs are new too.

Yes power braking. my tires will spin in the dirt. Maybe I need to adjust again and bleed again. everything should be good but never know.

I must have a short In the system or the control box is bad. I did a lot of welding near that box behind the glove box. what is a pinpoint test? I'm working on the trouble shooting list right now. I was on replace the diode / resistor in the power box but the ones I have are not the same as the parts I was sent. there s one with a on and off switch in the power box under the hood. What is that for?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcali2
I must have a short In the system or the control box is bad. I did a lot of welding near that box behind the glove box. what is a pinpoint test? I'm working on the trouble shooting list right now. I was on replace the diode / resistor in the power box but the ones I have are not the same as the parts I was sent. there s one with a on and off switch in the power box under the hood. What is that for?
The pinpoint tests are just the terminology that the manual uses for the step by step troubleshooting that you have to do with these systems.

Hmm. Diode with a switch on it? Not sure that's factory.... Got a picture you can post? Some "creative, aftermarket wiring" may be at fault here.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The pinpoint tests are just the terminology that the manual uses for the step by step troubleshooting that you have to do with these systems.

Hmm. Diode with a switch on it? Not sure that's factory.... Got a picture you can post? Some "creative, aftermarket wiring" may be at fault here.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:49 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Those are relays, not diodes. The relay with the switch is for the trailer marker lights.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:55 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Yah I figured. so where is the diodes? I bought one for the truck but cant find it to test it.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by farmert
Those are relays, not diodes. The relay with the switch is for the trailer marker lights.
BTW Thanks for the intel on the switch. so they is just an aux for trailer marker lights? is that an extra wire in the trailer plug?

Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Well i was trying to add a ground to the trans temp sending unit and put a hole in the new heater hose with a drill bit. I was making aground to attach a wire to it. started to lose all the new fluids i put in weeks ago. found a bucket and started draining the coolant, added a brass barbed fitting and fix it. Still working on the steering. I think it's better but i have not tested it. I will change out the rag joint for a new modern joint. $100.00 for a new one.

Still fing with the brakes.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:56 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru

Someone stated this was Not a factory paint option. I went to the ford dealership to get info on the paint and the dealer said it is a factory paint. was in 97. the name of the paint and the code on the doors match the paint. this truck was repainted in some areas but the cab is original color. I have found 4 other trucks just like this and the door tags also have the same color. Guess some people don't know everything about the trucks after all.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nice looking truck! I remember who mentioned the paint, he just thinks he knows everything about these trucks! I hate know-it-all's!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
That is the before photo. I really need to go wash and buff it up for the after photo. I have some paint coming in. it is just to do small area sections until I'm ready to have the truck redone.
I wish I could figure out the darn brake problems. The still work and many people say don't worry about the ABS as it hardly works anyway but it could be way saves my butt.
I'm still not sure if i need to adjust the rear brakes more to tighten them up to the just about to rub spot or leave them in the close enough to slide the drum on... I know the answers just don't feel like doing it LOL

ONe other question. under the hood I hear a sort of high pitch swooshing sound like a air pump. The 2 things close to the sound it the power steering pump and the air pump for the brake booster. I'm guessing it is that but is that sound normal? I don't remember hearing it before. I cant see or feel any air coming from it but the rad fan does blow against it too.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Um yeah, DEFINITEY a factory paint option. My ranch boss had this color on a new truck some years back.

Quick Reply: My new truck V2